PACCAR Why all the hate for PACCAR engines?

We dropped out detroit certification back in the 2000s. Some of our other branches have dropped their cat certification. We still see lots of them though.

Paccar has their own axles and transmissions, they are a joint venture with meritor and eaton respectively.

We dropped out detroit certification back in the 2000s. Some of our other branches have dropped their cat certification. We still see lots of them though.

Paccar has their own axles and transmissions, they are a joint venture with meritor and eaton respectively.
I knew they had their own transmission. I wasn’t aware they had their own axles though. It’s really not a new Idea. Mack has had their own axles and transmissions for what? Sixty years or better? Granted I always felt that hindered them from the OTR highway tractor market, but it’s not a new phenomenon.

So for example the Eaton axle joint venture is it totally different than any other offering from Eaton?

So for example the Eaton axle joint venture is it totally different than any other offering from Eaton?
The trans is an eaton/paccar/cummins venture. Eaton sells it with their branding, paccar sells it under their name. Identical trans. It can be serviced with either eaton or paccar software which is cool.

I think the meritor/paccar axle is only sold under the paccar name? I would have to look into it to be certain however.

The trans is an eaton/paccar/cummins venture. Eaton sells it with their branding, paccar sells it under their name. Identical trans. It can be serviced with either eaton or paccar software which is cool.

I think the meritor/paccar axle is only sold under the paccar name? I would have to look into it to be certain however.
Sorry I got the Eaton Meritor thing backwards. I’m somewhat familiar with the Eaton Cummins PACCAR thing. Fedex is running some Volvo’s with the Volvo motor and transmission that work together. My understanding was that was Cummins/Eaton’s goal was to develop an integrated drive train to compete. I do know Fedex has went back to Cummins in their Volvo’s. You’d have to think that Eaton wants to be involved in this. Think about what their markets share of the heavy truck market was? It’s probably over 90%. They certainly want to try to preserve that.

Isn’t even Detroit proprietary to Freightliner/Western Star now? I’m sure another brand can work on a 60 series but I don’t know about the newer ones.
Yes, but you also have a large network of Detroit shops out there that will take care of the engine far better than most dealers.

A big factor for me when looking at new trucks is trying to avoid being pinned down to the dealer for engine work.

Are they really that bad? Or is it a matter of no where to get them repaired? Which I don't understand as there seems to be a Pete store in every dang town across the USA.
Welp I happen to know from experience ya can't take a Peterbilt to a Kenworth shop..

And the Peterbilt Dealer don't want ya coming in a Kenworth

Never understood this I mean they both "PACCAR" productd

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread