PACCAR Why all the hate for PACCAR engines?

It may have been a conversation that was misunderstood on both sides.

Aint no cummins shop doin **** with a Paccar.
Then I was right to walk away from anything to do with that engine, wasn't I? My intent was to explore my options with maintaining that loser POS, and you just confirmed I was right. There was pretty much a 2 week waiting line for anything at the Peterbilt shop, no one else can work on their precious engine - not a good prospect for keeping it on the road.

So answer me this @pushbroom. Why did you have to be so argumentative in answering this? I related my experience as it happened - truthfully, and from my end, all I got was a double ration of shit. And, why in the future, would I ever ask a question of someone who treats people that way? None of that was necessary.

Then I was right to walk away from anything to do with that engine, wasn't I? My intent was to explore my options with maintaining that loser POS, and you just confirmed I was right. There was pretty much a 2 week waiting line for anything at the Peterbilt shop, no one else can work on their precious engine - not a good prospect for keeping it on the road.

So answer me this @pushbroom. Why did you have to be so argumentative in answering this? I related my experience as it happened - truthfully, and from my end, all I got was a double ration of ****. And, why in the future, would I ever ask a question of someone who treats people that way? None of that was necessary.
Lots of shops can work on PACCAR engines, you just have to ha em the software. The point is and I thought it was weird when you posted it is no OEM engine shop is going to work on a competitors engine. Cummins isn’t going to work on a Cat or Detroit either, they never have.

And I’m sorry but @pushbroom wasn’t rude to you at all, I’ve never seen him be rude to anyone. As usual you got an attitude the cried victim.

However, PACCAR does have a contractual agreement that forces an owner to use dealer shops until the engine is out of warranty. Cummins, for example, will not touch one of those engines while under warranty.
I imagine it was this statement that caused things to go sideways. Cummins won’t touch a Detroit engine under warranty either. It’s not a contract that forces the customer to go to a paccar service center.

I went from a 1000 truck carrier with all Paccar that had constant trouble mostly DEF on 2011 model. My biggest complaint was Peterbilt looked for ways for things not to be covered by warranty
I then moved to a small outfit with 12 trucks all Cascadias with DD15 with extended warranty pkg. The first thing I noticed was less time in the shop. Now much of this was because Def problems in all model trucks had been largely fixed by 2014. On occasion some repair was needed it seemed Truck country went out of their way to call it warranty work.
Now this company has a mix of Freightliner and Volvo CNG day cabs sleepers but all I have been in is the same DD15 detroit These have the Mercedes 12 speed auto. All maintence by truck country 25000 on grease and 50000 on oil changes. I have only lost one day of driving in 225000 miles on this truck Replaced the steers at 185000 and drives are all still original nothing special factory tires with 5-6/32
So as a dumb company driver that is all I know about that
Just about every manufacturer had problems in 2011.

Lots of shops can work on PACCAR engines, you just have to ha em the software. The point is and I thought it was weird when you posted it is no OEM engine shop is going to work on a competitors engine. Cummins isn’t going to work on a Cat or Detroit either, they never have.

And I’m sorry but @pushbroom wasn’t rude to you at all, I’ve never seen him be rude to anyone. As usual you got an attitude the cried victim.
No one is being a victim. I'm just asking someone why he felt it necessary to come off in a way that was arrogant and condescending - the exact same way you treat people all the time.

My point in asking the question was to determine the level of support I could find for the engine. My business doesn't keep me bound within a few hundred miles of Joe's fixit shop. The last thing I need is a broken down engine 1500 miles from where I know anyone, tied to the availability of maintenance at one outlet with a 2 or 3 week delay before getting in the shop. Then finding out they didn't fix the problem, a day later and another 500 miles from the first shop. And another week or two delay. That kind of disruption to your cash flow can put you out of business quickly - especially when you're dealing with a bunch of poorly trained technicians who can only do what the computer diagnostic tells them to fix... while scratching their heads over new technology that mystified them.

Since PACCAR (whose OEM divisions just happen to be Peterbilt and Kenworth) has a long-term alliance with Cummins, one might wonder if that extended to their new engine. So I asked the question. At the time, that was the answer I got from Cummins. Being out from under warranty would be years in the future at that point. During those years it was obvious I'd be tied to a maintenence organization that was floundering in problems, refusing to honor warranty claims on the ISX, and here's a new engine with a meager history. You might want to find out what your options were outside Peterbilt's little on-going disaster too, before risking the kind of money it takes to buy into the red oval world.

Last edited:
I went from a 1000 truck carrier with all Paccar that had constant trouble mostly DEF on 2011 model. My biggest complaint was Peterbilt looked for ways for things not to be covered by warranty
I then moved to a small outfit with 12 trucks all Cascadias with DD15 with extended warranty pkg. The first thing I noticed was less time in the shop. Now much of this was because Def problems in all model trucks had been largely fixed by 2014. On occasion some repair was needed it seemed Truck country went out of their way to call it warranty work.
Now this company has a mix of Freightliner and Volvo CNG day cabs sleepers but all I have been in is the same DD15 detroit These have the Mercedes 12 speed auto. All maintence by truck country 25000 on grease and 50000 on oil changes. I have only lost one day of driving in 225000 miles on this truck Replaced the steers at 185000 and drives are all still original nothing special factory tires with 5-6/32
So as a dumb company driver that is all I know about that
Cap'n hitting them with knowledge. Boom.

He wasn’t arrogant or condescending, you doubled down. I reread it three or four times, he wasn’t at all.
Fine. All I did was state what was told to me by Cummins. What the **** problem is that to you? Take it up with up with Cummins Inc if you have further problems.

No one is being a victim. I'm just asking someone why he felt it necessary to come off in a way that was arrogant and condescending - the exact same way you treat people all the time.

My point in asking the question was to determine the level of support I could find for the engine. My business doesn't keep me bound within a few hundred miles of Joe's fixit shop. The last thing I need is a broken down engine 1500 miles from where I know anyone, tied to the availability of maintenance at one outlet with a 2 or 3 week delay before getting in the shop. Then finding out they didn't fix the problem, a day later and another 500 miles from the first shop. And another week or two delay. That kind of disruption to your cash flow can put you out of business quickly - especially when you're dealing with a bunch of poorly trained technicians who can only do what the computer diagnostic tells them to fix... while scratching their heads over new technology that mystified them.

Since PACCAR (whose OEM divisions just happen to be Peterbilt and Kenworth) has a long-term alliance with Cummins, one might wonder if that extended to their new engine. So I asked the question. At the time, that was the answer I got from Cummins. Being out from under warranty would be years in the future at that point. During those years it was obvious I'd be tied to a maintenence organization that was floundering in problems, refusing to honor warranty claims on the ISX, and here's a new engine with a meager history. You might want to find out what your options were outside Peterbilt's little on-going disaster too, before risking the kind of money it takes to buy into the red oval world.
You are still pretty much tied to one outlet by purchasing a Detroit. If it’s under warranty to have to go to an authorized service center. Any shop that’s not Detroit or Daimler will not touch it, because they are not going to be paid by warranty. All that said you can go anywhere if you are not concerned with warranty and you feel confident that the techs have been trained on that platform.

Fine. All I did was state what was told to me by Cummins. What the **** problem is that to you? Take it up with up with Cummins Inc if you have further problems.
Man come on grow up. You do this all the time.
However, PACCAR does have a contractual agreement that forces an owner to use dealer shops until the engine is out of warranty. Cummins, for example, will not touch one of those engines while under warranty.
the PACCAR dealer part might be true, the Cummins part isn’t. No manufacturer shop has ever worked on aanother’s engine. No one was condescending to you.

Back years ago, I met a Prime lease driver who had a hybrid motor. It was a Mercedes block running a Caterpillar rotating assembly, Cummins N14 heads with a Series 60 turbo and marine cam. The injectors and aftertreatment was a Volvo/Paccar combo.

He said it's just getting the right combination of parts. After that, the money starts rolling in.

Back years ago, I met a Prime lease driver who had a hybrid motor. It was a Mercedes block running a Caterpillar rotating assembly, Cummins N14 heads with a Series 60 turbo and marine cam. The injectors and aftertreatment was a Volvo/Paccar combo.

He said it's just getting the right combination of parts. After that, the money starts rolling in.
And driving 54 mph with helium filled super singles with a spicer 6+1 trans with a new process 205 transfer case.

You are still pretty much tied to one outlet by purchasing a Detroit. If it’s under warranty to have to go to an authorized service center. Any shop that’s not Detroit or Daimler will not touch it, because they are not going to be paid by warranty. All that said you can go anywhere if you are not concerned with warranty and you feel confident that the techs have been trained on that platform.
I realize all of that. But the PACCAR engine doesn't allow you the option of going to a PACCAR engine shop. There aren't any. With a Detroit engine, I can go to the truck manufacturer or Detroit, and receive warranty service. There's a heckova lot more Freightliner shops around, and many are 24/7 operations. With more Freightliners on the road than other OEMs, finding competent third-party service is easier too.

Last edited:
I realize all of that. But the PACCAR engine doesn't allow you the option of going to a PACCAR engine shop. There aren't any. With a Detroit engine, I can go to the truck manufacturer or Detroit, and receive warranty service. There's a heckova lot more Freightliner shops around, and many are 24/7 operations. With more Freightliners on the road than other OEMs, finding competent third-party service is easier too.
But it’s the same principle. Paccar is no different than Mack/Volvo or international and the A26. All manufacturers are heading towards proprietary power plants. Good, bad or indifferent the trucking industry is heading that way. Cummins is the only engine left that is still serviceable at any dealer. It’s the way of the future like it or not.

Last edited:
But it’s the same principle. Paccar is no different than Mack/Volvo or international and the A26. All manufactures are heading towards proprietary power plants. Good, bad or indifferent the trucking industry is heading that way. Cummins is the only engine left that is still serviceable at any dealer. It’s the way of the future like it or not.
Isn’t even Detroit proprietary to Freightliner/Western Star now? I’m sure another brand can work on a 60 series but I don’t know about the newer ones.

That’s correct. Peterbilt doesn’t know anything about a DD16 or 13 or 15. The techs aren’t trained on them and they don’t have to software to work on them.
I know you’re starting to have trouble finding people at shops to work on Cats. When the ECM screwed up on the Westerb Star FYDA Freightliner said they didn’t have anyone anymore that knew how to work on Cats. He told me that he thought in the whole dealer network they only have one computer with Cat software.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread