Which truck is better Peterbilt 379 ext. hood or the new long hooded Volvo?

molematt

I drive a Pete.

Pete's have small hoods only 127" I have a Classic and its 132"

If I ever got rich and bought a truck, it would have to be one of the long nosed petes. Just my honest opinion and I admit it is based on aesthetic factors alone. Buuutttttt, (going off on a tangent here), if you are going to drive, and you can drive what you want, Choose wisely. Do your research, and it sounds like you are.

I'll tell you what, except for a couple cab-overs, I have driven nothing but long nose or extended hoods, but my Volvo 670 that I have now is great, it turns on a dime, easily backs up into tight spots and still has plenty of cab space, it might not look like the classic style truck but I get paid the same, regardless the style of truck and since it costs me less to operate(except for repairs) I make more money.

I'll tell you what, except for a couple cab-overs, I have driven nothing but long nose or extended hoods, but my Volvo 670 that I have now is great, it turns on a dime, easily backs up into tight spots and still has plenty of cab space, it might not look like the classic style truck but I get paid the same, regardless the style of truck and since it costs me less to operate(except for repairs) I make more money.
Thats what all y'all old guys say (running and ducking under the nearest the I can find, LOL)

Who cares what it looks like?

What matters to me is comfort and convenience.

Nobody but Volvo has a lower bunk that turns into a table. Volvo has the largest refrigerato/freezer. Volvo is the quietest inside, no doubt about that.

Yes a longnose Pete or a W9 KW look great on the outside, but even the very newest ones still do not compare to the comfort and convenience of the Volvo.

When PACCAR comes to their senses and designs and builds a truck that looks as nice from the comfort and convenience perspective I wouldn't hesitate to change my point of view.

The new Kenworth T700 is a complete failure to compete with Volvo.

Read all about it here: http://www.truckersforum.net/forum/f102/kenworth-t700-review-55383/

Normally you strike me as a rational, and relatively sane person, especially for a truck driver Racer, but in this case I am afraid you have left me shaking my head. We all know you would give up all that room and comfort, not to mention better visibility, just for a single day in a truck that was basically designed in 1957 and has barely changed, outwardly at least, to this very day!

As a former wrench on these fine pieces of equipment, which one is easier to work on, in your opinion?

Normally you strike me as a rational, and relatively sane person, especially for a truck driver Racer, but in this case I am afraid you have left me shaking my head. We all know you would give up all that room and comfort, not to mention better visibility, just for a single day in a truck that was basically designed in 1957 and has barely changed, outwardly at least, to this very day!

As a former wrench on these fine pieces of equipment, which one is easier to work on, in your opinion?

The only thing I ever disliked about working on the Volvo trucks was changing fuel filters on the ones with Volvo engines. They are on the left side of the engine, about the middle, just above the front axle, and very hard to get to.

Most everything else is about the same. And the Volvo's are pretty well built, and don't need as much repair type work. The maintenance items are just about the same. Under the skin they are all the same. Whatever axles, engine and tranny you spec out, and whatever frame setup you want.

All of the newer trucks suffer from the same ills. Too much plastic, used in an effort to reduce weight is the biggest problem.

Like I said, if PACCAR would pull their heads out of their asses and come up with something better than that abortion they call the T2000 (and the Pete 387, or the new T700 and the Pete 587) that are supposed to compete head to head with the Volvo, I would be delighted to come back home.

The first truck I ever rode in was a Pete cabover that one of my uncles had. And I have ridden in and driven just about every kind of truck made since the early '60's. Trucks used to be distinguished by the fact that they were just that. Trucks. Noisy. Uncomfortable. Hard to steer. No air conditioning. Ergonomics was a word that was not in the engineer's vocabulary.

Today's trucks have come a long way toward comfort, style and economy.

But as you mention, some have changed very little since they were conceived 50 years ago.

All I want is what I have in this ugly green toad.

A table to eat at.

A comfortable and quiet place to sit and watch the world go by from, and to be able to listen to the stereo without having to crank up the volume to 10 to drown out the road noise.

That's not so much to ask.

Is it?

Oh, I guess the ones with the "cab forward" design that have the engines tucked in under the cowl can be a bitch to do overhead adjustments on and pull liners out of the rear cylinders. But most of us have figured out how to get it done.

The only thing I ever disliked about working on the Volvo trucks was changing fuel filters on the ones with Volvo engines. They are on the left side of the engine, about the middle, just above the front axle, and very hard to get to

The fuel filter on the ISX in a Volvo is in the same spot, what a pain in the backside to change, it is basically a two man job if you don't have a pit or 6 foot arms

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread