Which chain of truckstops is the best?

Flying hook has the best wifi, and showers last a little longer with them. I hate their restaurant, its horrible.

I agree, the Hook's restaurant is a joke. We fuel only at Flying J's, so I often find myself going somewhere else to eat if I plan on eating at a truck stop. Food is overpriced, and not very good to begin with.

Ohh....that's for the 411 on the wireless. HUbby will be interested in that. Neither of us cared fro the food much there but I'm a vegetarian so I brought along my own stuff. We used the truck stops for showers.

Not much I can say that hasn't already been said. BUT the part about the shower shoes is no joke.

I like buffets though and I eat a lot better. When the have a good salad selection, otherwise I avoid them.

I don't like any of them. I think they are a bunch of over pricing money grubbers. But if I had a gun to my head, and had to make a choice, I guess I would say the Flying Hook! (J)

Big Mac, I have to agree with you about them all being over priced I don't drive my hubby does but i work at a TA and they are very high priced

They can afford to be overpriced. There aren't many places for Truckers to stop and they know it. It's a captive audience, so to speak!

I aggree... Truck Stops are a niche market. There aren't enough of them, so the big guys can inflate their pricing.

I wish I had the money to start one, give drivers good food and honest prices with a clean place and you could still make money. Drivers would go the extra miles just to reach a place that wasn't out to gouge them.

I hate the meals you choose that are loaded with GRAVY!
MORE gravy then meat or bread. I call it gravy soup!:eek:

I don't like food swimming in gravy either. I prefer gravy on the side (if I get it at all). Usually I order it plain.

i really don't thinnk one is better than the other. it has to do more with what area your in. they differ all over the country. you might like the t/a up in mt. vernon indiana but hate the one north ga off I-75. i like both by the way. it all depends on you and what you like and what time of day it is. and some companies have deals with truckstops where you get double points so you use them.

My preference is the Petro espicially in bordentown NJ. I don't do the hook the 3 times I have tryied the flying hook I got food poision so I refuse to eat @ the hook (Flying J).

the Petro showers are also usually a little bigger and cleaner and they have a fast fuel system @ some of the Petros.

Petro is our favorite t/s. Large showers for teams.
T/A only if it is one story high. The 2 story ones are OLD. Small smelly showers. Paring lots are ok. Restaurants --depend on the site.
Pilots usually don't have restaurants, but if they have an Arbys --that will do in a pinch. Showers are small.
flying J has an over priced and under quality buffet and the hardest slots to put your truck in in the dark. Showers are small for a team.
Only stopped at loves to change drivers.
advice would be get an exit book. (with truck related items in red). Mark what you like and don't like about each t/s you go to. Over time you will start planning your trip around where your favorite t/s are.

My favorite (and my husband's as well) are the Flying J truck stops. They are usually pretty clean and conveniently located. They also usually have some type of diner that is both good quality and cheap.

Flying J-
Food 90% of the time Decent
Showers Always clean but small and ugly
Parking is generaly ok
Nothing original at any stop. All the same.
Cleanliness is from OK to Great depending on store.
Entertainment rooms normally small and smoky.

TA's-
Are all around HIT and Miss.
Some are the worst when it comes to clean and some the best.
Same goes for the food.
Showers tend to be, again, really clean, nice, and large. Or just plain scary.
Parking tends to be a bit more chaos at TA's
Entertainment rooms are normaly pretty good. Big screens and such.

Pilots-
Very Clean
Normally nice showers.
Parking design is normally AGGRIEVATING!
Food tends only to be Fast Food aside from a few.
No entertainment rooms normally.
Small convience store feel.

Loves-
Always dirty
Fast food chain that tends to be dirty
Help tends to be rude
Parking tends to be limited
I wont shower at one, so I dont know how the showers are.
No entertainment rooms normally
Small conviences store feel.

Petro's-
Tend to be nice, clean, and Large complex's
They try to change up the layouts and bring in other companies withen which is nice.
Food is normally Good to Great but can be a bit pricey.
Often more security
Nice showers in size and cleaning
Nice Entertainment rooms
Lots of Idle Air at many of there locations
Parking is normally plentifal and easy
Far fewer in number then other chains

Thanks for the summary, it really puts all the truck stops into perspective in an easy to read and effective manner. I guess it looks like they all have their ups and downs.

I love the Petro chain. They seem consistent in their quality and cleanliness. I love the showers and the restaurants and always feel safe there.

I think that there's a Petro outside Bakersfield, if it's the one I am thinking about, it is very clean. They also attract other businesses, and this makes it more worthwhile.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread