Where is the best place to live for truck driver and why???

marekpol

I want to find out where is the best place to live for a truck driver. Consider truck parking, affordable place to buy property. I`m sick of living in California and I want to move out, and than I promise to my self
that I will never go back to California driving truck or visit, again. People making rules for truckers, can start driving trucks.

If you don't have any special place you are considering, and don't mind living near a city, the Dallas/Forth Worth area isn't bad. I would work for a company that has a terminal in the area, that way you don't have to worry about parking the rig.

I'm from Maine, but it's unlikely that's an ideal place for a trucker to live...too far away from anything to possibly make a good living.

I'm very partial to rural Wisconsin. We live not too far from the Minnesota border, so it's a short hop over to Minneapolis to pick up loads. It's nice and peaceful here, and people appreciate truckers.

joemac45

I like Knoxville, Tn, and thats where my wife and I are going to move to after the first of the year. My son and his wife just moved there from Memphis, Tn. and they love it. Lots of moutains and parks. Several trucking companies in the area between Nashville and Knoxville we researched the areas to live and I don't think you would have a problem parking a truck. I lived in El Cajon Ca. just outside of San Diego back in 1980, did'nt like it then and won't go back.

what a trick question. you need to find a big central city in a location where everything around it goes to it. atlanta(i don't reccomend), dallas, knoxville, kansas city, chicago, indianapolis, philly, anywhere in jersey, etc. you get the point.

Near a major city is good.
Another option, if you don't like City life, is to find a place that isn't a long drive from a major interstate. Or, if it is a ways from an interstate, at least make sure there is a route that can be taken allowing you to easily get by your house, without going too far off route. Most companies are pretty flexible about this when it comes to getting hometime.

the following states have no income taxes;Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, Wyoming.
New Hampshire, and Tennessee have limited personal income tax, levied only on dividend and interest income.

Five states with the lowest tax burden

· Alaska 6.6%

· New Hampshire 7.3

· Delaware 8.4

· Tennessee 8.6

· Alabama 8.8

(Amazing how a long dead thread can suddenly come to life.)

the following states have no income taxes;Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, Wyoming.
New Hampshire, and Tennessee have limited personal income tax, levied only on dividend and interest income.

Those states may not have income taxes, but the sales and property taxes more than make up the difference.

Five states with the lowest tax burden

· Alaska 6.6%

· New Hampshire 7.3

· Delaware 8.4

· Tennessee 8.6

· Alabama 8.8

So let's address this.

Who would want to live in Alaska? If it isn't buried in snow and ice and dark around the clock, it is rainy, cold and damp, the sun never sets and you could use the mosquitoes as an alternate source of protein. And why would anyone want to haul freight into, and out of, Alaska? Even been on the Alaska Highway?

Delaware and New Hampshire both have nasty winters, state income tax and very few jobs. There is freight moving into those areas, but not much coming out.

Alabama and Tennessee have better winters, but state income taxes. Both have better prospects for freight coming and going, but the climate in the other seasons leaves a bit to be desired.

How about Washington state? No state income tax (yet). Lots of aerospace freight coming and going (at least for now, until Boeing follows through with their threat to move the assembly from the greater Seattle area to the more depressed regions like South Carolina). The Puget Sound region has several container ports, Tacoma, Seattle and Vancouver, BC. and quite a bit of stuff goes through them into and out of the Asian markets. And all the major trucking companies have terminals in the Seattle area. The weather is reasonably mild. The summers are never too humid and the winters rarely get too cold, and if you don't mind a little rain it can be a tolerable place to live.

Sorry Racer, TN has no state income tax unless things have changed recently. Nashville is a spider web of interstates, and that is a good thing for home time.

If I wanted to be in the perfect place to cash in on trucking, I'd be in the Memphis, TN area. West Memphis is the crossroads of America, and there, a good driver could work for any of a vast number of trucking companies, and, have his choice of routes to run. Yeah... live in Memphis, TN and cross the river to go to work.

Guess I Should Have Checked The Facts First!

There is no state income tax in TN

So the information that elkinjohn posted is inaccurate then? Guess I should have double checked the facts before I started shooting off my big mouth!

I am ashamed.

I will go to my corner now.

Oh! Wait!

From Gov Spot:
Seven states have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee, tax only dividend and interest income.
So I guess he was right after all. Tennessee does have "partial" income tax. That is, should a person be fortunate enough to have money they can place into accounts that earn interest, or that can be used to invest in such a way that they earn dividends.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by elkinjohn

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread