What's old school to you.....

I always ask people how they can live up in the northern climates where it's cold 7-8 months of the year. They tell me that you get used to it and have to dress for it.

It's the same here in FL., you just get used to it and become really friendly with a good A/C shop. What's really bad is having to wear these Flame Retardant jumpsuits and outerwear at the fuel loading racks. Those that spent time in the SandBox in full gear know what I'm talking about.
When you live up north, your definition of "cold" changes. Most don't switch from jackets to coats until ~20°. I'd be in California in February in shorts and t-shirt, and those folks looked at me like I was hunting polar bears in a speedo. 60° and a warm sun felt heavenly to me! I'm normally in shorts and a hoodie as long as it's above 50°.

Last edited:
When you live up north, your definition of "cold" changes. Most don't switch from jackets to coats until ~20°. I'd be in California in February in shorts and t-shirt, and those folks looked at me like I was hunting polar bears in a speedo. 60° and a warm sun felt heavenly to me! I'm normally in shorts and a hoodie as long as it's above 50°.
Hell... hit 72 around these parts today. Had to run the ac in the truck it were so damn humid

I hated replacing those bushings. But torsion bars over springs for the ride is like night and day.
When I ran for Richfield in 1966 and 1967, I ran a long semi pulled by a 3-axle KW with torsion bars. Then I transferred to a Pete truck and trailer with a Page & Page suspension (leaf springs). Both of those rigs were fairly new; I can't recall that one rig was more comfortable than the other. I did like the truck and trailer. It could haul slightly more but more importantly, it was far more maneuverable. In the old days those who designed gas stations and bulk plants seemed to never consider access to tanks. Back to suspensions, the absolute worst were those rubber biscuit Hendricksons. We had at least one of them at Ringsby. Guys bitched but Bob Eastwood and Bob Lucas, the dispatchers/bosses just reminded us that "You take the sh** with the gravy."

When I worked for Shell, we had a team that would help lay out the station so that you never had to back up. You would drive in and drive out and the nose was always uphill for a good drain. Double conical trailers weren't heard of then.

Amoco, on the other hand would throw up and handful of rocks and wherever they landed, that's where the tanks went. And their trailers had those walking beams with the rubber biscuits in them. You thought they were going to roll on every corner until you got used to them.

When I worked for Shell, we had a team that would help lay out the station so that you never had to back up. You would drive in and drive out and the nose was always uphill for a good drain. Double conical trailers weren't heard of then.

Amoco, on the other hand would throw up and handful of rocks and wherever they landed, that's where the tanks went. And their trailers had those walking beams with the rubber biscuits in them. You thought they were going to roll on every corner until you got used to them.
Shell was always a class act in the old days. The old main (top) loading rack at its Martinez refinery was a good example and as of last October it looked like it moved but was still convenient. The loading rack for chemicals was equally accessible. I only hauled a few loads for Shell and I think that your impression of station layouts is spot on.

New Richfield stations were as good as Shells for fill access. I think I went to every raggedy old bulk plant from Bakersfield to the Oregon border. Few were marvels of convenience.

They're hardly readable but here's some of my old Richfield pay stubs from 1966.
RichfieldTimeRedacted.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread