Owner Operator What truck for first truck

StupidDriver

I want a pre emissions truck that gets at least 7 mpg. I can’t find good info on older trucks. I would like to find one pre emissions that I can throw money at to make everything solid. Like a new or rebuilt engine and then replace everything I can. What are the best options? It has to have a sleeper

Edit: I’m looking at older freightliner century 120 trucks. Can anyone tell me how they do on fuel? I kindof like they way they look. I want one.

Last edited:
Edit: I’m looking at older freightliner century 120 trucks. Can anyone tell me how they do on fuel? I kindof like they way they look. I want one.
Potentially good on fuel with a well running 12.7 Detroit.

As mentioned, the price is insane on everything right now, and that has to play into your decision. If you spent $40k on a $10k truck, insurance is only going to pay out $10k max if it is wrecked. Same goes for spending $80k or more for a pre emission glider with an actual value of only $25k. Keep this in mind.

That said, anything aerodynamic with a 12.7 Detroit is what I would be looking for. An oil sample and ECM report will tell you much about what you are getting as far as the engine goes.

Also remember, the older the truck, the more issues you are going to face beyond the engine. Parts are becoming obsolete, even the engines have been potentially rebuilt to the point where the block or head simply can’t tolerate another rebuild.

Potentially good on fuel with a well running 12.7 Detroit.

As mentioned, the price is insane on everything right now, and that has to play into your decision. If you spent $40k on a $10k truck, insurance is only going to pay out $10k max if it is wrecked. Same goes for spending $80k or more for a pre emission glider with an actual value of only $25k. Keep this in mind.

That said, anything aerodynamic with a 12.7 Detroit is what I would be looking for. An oil sample and ECM report will tell you much about what you are getting as far as the engine goes.

Also remember, the older the truck, the more issues you are going to face beyond the engine. Parts are becoming obsolete, even the engines have been potentially rebuilt to the point where the block or head simply can’t tolerate another rebuild.
Yeah I understand that. So they don’t make new engines that can fit in an older truck? Or new parts?

Yeah I understand that. So they don’t make new engines that can fit in an older truck? Or new parts?
S60 is discontinued.

S60 parts would still be plentiful but it's the truck specific stuff that ends up getting harder to source. The downtime just to procure the part (or make it yourself or have it made) can get cost prohibitive.

It really depends on the truck though and how many people are still out there running it. The more people that are still running it, the more suppliers that are going to support it and therefore the easier it will be to get parts.

I can get parts for my Mack anywhere because it's a 2014 and they're all over the place, was built all the way up until 2018 with even the newest ones still sharing some parts, and share a lot with Volvo, but some bits and pieces for my Ford simply don't exist anymore, or turn into a scavenger hunt because the last one rolled off the assembly line 23 years ago. Other bits can be had, but the lead time to have them made and delivered is insane for a truck that's needed to be in service.

It’s all reman parts, and the major parts can only be machined so many times until they can’t be brought into specs.

I see. I found an engine for 11500 that looks pretty clean. I really like the style of the late 90s freightliners. If I could get one in good condition I think it would be worth it. And then have the engine swapped.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread