What pets do you own

1 prissy house kitty
2 Red healers
3 Goats
3 Llamas
3 horses
and the Pork the beef and the chickens are now in the freezer :)

. . . . and the Pork the beef and the chickens are now in the freezer :)

Those aren't pets. Those are food.

When I was growing up we lived on a farm for a bit. We had some cows, milked 'em by hand. The cats loved it when I milked the cows, I would always give them a squirt. Had some hogs. Had some ducks and geese. Had some chickens. Had some rabbits.

My mom had the cow bred to increase milk production and the first calf she had was a boy, so mom had him castrated so we could raise beef. But she named him. What a mistake. It was very hard for her to have him slaughtered when it was time.

Never name animals kept for food. It just makes pets out of them.

Goose eggs make killer cakes.

Geese also are a tasty change for Christmas dinner.

Slaughtering chickens is fun when you are a teenager. You swing them around and around, then chop their heads off with the axe, and then let them run around a bit before hanging them up to bleed out.

Slaughtering rabbits is not fun. When a rabbit knows it is about to die it screams like a baby human. A very horrible sound.

When you get ready to slaughter the hogs, you need to have them near the scalding barrel. I don't think my dad thought this through. He had the barrel set up by the barn, a fire under it, and an a-frame with a hoist over it. The hogs were down below in their pen. About 300 yards away. Dad walked down to the hog pen with the 30-06 and the hogs thought it was feeding time so they came right over by the electric fence wire that kept them in the pen. Dad pointed the rifle at one of the hogs and POW! right between the eyes. The hog dropped right where he stood.

I looked at my dad, and I looked up the hill where he had the barrel, fire burning, water steaming away. I said, "Now how are you gonna get him up there?"

For the next hog I went to the barn and scooped up a can of rolled oats and went down to the hog pen and shook it a bit. The next hog followed me right up to the barrel.

I said, "There ya go dad!"

Dad didn't want to admit that I had if figured out better than him. But he popped that hog right there next to the barrel. And we cut him up and put him in the freezer next to the other one.

:p

Those aren't pets. Those are food.

When I was growing up we lived on a farm for a bit. We had some cows, milked 'em by hand. The cats loved it when I milked the cows, I would always give them a squirt. Had some hogs. Had some ducks and geese. Had some chickens. Had some rabbits.

My mom had the cow bred to increase milk production and the first calf she had was a boy, so mom had him castrated so we could raise beef. But she named him. What a mistake. It was very hard for her to have him slaughtered when it was time.

Never name animals kept for food. It just makes pets out of them.

Goose eggs make killer cakes.

Geese also are a tasty change for Christmas dinner.

Slaughtering chickens is fun when you are a teenager. You swing them around and around, then chop their heads off with the axe, and then let them run around a bit before hanging them up to bleed out.

Slaughtering rabbits is not fun. When a rabbit knows it is about to die it screams like a baby human. A very horrible sound.

When you get ready to slaughter the hogs, you need to have them near the scalding barrel. I don't think my dad thought this through. He had the barrel set up by the barn, a fire under it, and an a-frame with a hoist over it. The hogs were down below in their pen. About 300 yards away. Dad walked down to the hog pen with the 30-06 and the hogs thought it was feeding time so they came right over by the electric fence wire that kept them in the pen. Dad pointed the rifle at one of the hogs and POW! right between the eyes. The hog dropped right where he stood.

I looked at my dad, and I looked up the hill where he had the barrel, fire burning, water steaming away. I said, "Now how are you gonna get him up there?"

For the next hog I went to the barn and scooped up a can of rolled oats and went down to the hog pen and shook it a bit. The next hog followed me right up to the barrel.

I said, "There ya go dad!"

Dad didn't want to admit that I had if figured out better than him. But he popped that hog right there next to the barrel. And we cut him up and put him in the freezer next to the other one.

:p

you are correct not exactly pets persay but I did name them and love on them and they were well taken care of and the thought of those poor birds at the bateries(production houses) and their confinement and treatment I don't buy store bought meat at all and but my way is not for everyone..that's why some of my friends have me raise their animal cuz they don't want to see it or know anything about..lol..and it's ok but now I'm downsizing and will buy all my meat from my other friends as more then likely I won't have the time to raise them myself anymore :(

Butttttttt the realization that I may be goin over the road could change my views on store bought meat drastically...lol

ive got a couple of dogs and yep theyre great company but in some ways they belong more to my wife - my dog died a few weeks back, it was her time but its still sad to say goodbye to them ... i guess its just the reality of owning a pet

sorry to hear about your dog......I understand when I lost my Wooky it about killed me loved that dog he was a junk yard dog and would not let a man near me. Only time that dog got in bed with me was when the MAN came home and he got up on the pillow beside me and growled at him.....dang I miss that dog.....

Very pretty cat.I have a cat her name is snuggles and the name suits her.I had a black cat named prince for yrs and one day he left and never returned.I think maybe he got hit.I have tiny as my co pilot.Shes great company in the trk.I'm home now till Monday and she's real happy to be home and terrorizing Mike,thats my dads dog.
View attachment 2587View attachment 2589View attachment 2588View attachment 2590

Wow, some people have a lot of critters here. Had pets all my life - sometimes as many as 3 dogs, two cats, a parrot, a cockateel and several fish all at once. At this time, it's only Garfield (yes, that's really his name).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread