What options do I have...

otrjoe

Alright, I guess I should own up to these things and just flat out say that they were my fault. That being said, I also do feel that the "two strikes and your out" thing is just unfair.

First off, I started with Werner in mid May, and in the course of my training, I had a couple of accidents. The first was very minor, I caught the bumper on a cement block, and broke a piece of the PLASTIC bumper off. Werner evaluated this incident and said, "While it is minor, it is still a charable accident". Second, I was doing a blind side backing into a dock (my first time ever doing a blind side backing), and in the course of this manuveur I not only had a spotter (my trainer), but I also got out and checked out the situation. BUT, as it would have it, I ended up backing into the trailer next to me, and taking the back door off. The only damage to either my truck of trailer and his was that the hinges were sheared and the door came off. There was no damage to the door when it hit the ground.

So, when I got back into the terminal with Werner, they told me that because I have two chargable accidents that they were going to terminate me. I never had a chance to explain anything, nor was there anything said about what my trainer had to say about my skills. My trainer basically gave me good marks and comments about my skills, despite the two incidents. What ****es me off about this whole thing is that I have seen other trucks that look like they have been in far more accidents, and yet, those drivers are still employed, and from what my trainer said, that is pretty common for drivers to get into a few accidents that go unreported.

I mean, I could have gone without reporting the first accident, as it was very minor, but hey, I was trying to be honest.

Guess my reason for posting this is I need to know what my options are here. Is my carreer as a driver over with? If not, what do I need to do? What sorts of companies might be willing to give me a chance? I have already talked with one company, and they said that they are not really interested, even though they were willing to give me a shot straight out of school.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am at my whits end at the moment, as I seriously NEED a job, and I thought that trucking would be a good option.

Alright, I guess I should own up to these things and just flat out say that they were my fault. That being said, I also do feel that the "two strikes and your out" thing is just unfair.

First off, I started with Werner in mid May, and in the course of my training, I had a couple of accidents. The first was very minor, I caught the bumper on a cement block, and broke a piece of the PLASTIC bumper off. Werner evaluated this incident and said, "While it is minor, it is still a charable accident".

yes, it is an accident, as a plastic bumper costs well over $100. many times an "incident" is where the damage is UNDER $100...or at least it once was.

Second, I was doing a blind side backing into a dock (my first time ever doing a blind side backing), and in the course of this manuveur I not only had a spotter (my trainer), but I also got out and checked out the situation. BUT, as it would have it, I ended up backing into the trailer next to me, and taking the back door off. The only damage to either my truck of trailer and his was that the hinges were sheared and the door came off. There was no damage to the door when it hit the ground.

ok, i guess the first question would be, "why couldn't you do a sight-side backing instead"..???

next, door hinges are made to "break away" and spare the door from severe damage. now that door falling on the ground, just had to be damaged. they are heavy. you nor your trainer are experts in door alignment or structure integrity.

So, when I got back into the terminal with Werner, they told me that because I have two chargable accidents that they were going to terminate me. I never had a chance to explain anything, nor was there anything said about what my trainer had to say about my skills.

they didn't need to hear your side...they saw what you had to say.

My trainer basically gave me good marks and comments about my skills, despite the two incidents.

that was probably BEFORE you started crashing

What ****es me off about this whole thing is that I have seen other trucks that look like they have been in far more accidents, and yet, those drivers are still employed, and from what my trainer said, that is pretty common for drivers to get into a few accidents that go unreported.

ok first, YOU DO NOT KNOW if THOSE drivers damaged THOSE trucks..i can tell you that I HAVE SEEN plenty of werner trucks that were damaged...werner is a "training company" they DO NOT FIX damaged trucks while there are still students to drive them and crash them. Werner repairs the trucks when it comes time to SELL those trucks. it would cost Werner, zillions of dollars to repair the crash damages after each student gets out of one. so for you to say you see damaged trucks, and to assume those drivers DID that damage is a cop out from you.

now unreportable..?? i highly disagree with that..each time a truck goes in for service, they get written up for damages. so again, someone is talking out of his @zz

I mean, I could have gone without reporting the first accident, as it was very minor, but hey, I was trying to be honest.

you would have been instantly fired, and DAC'd....someone is ALWAYS watching you....

Guess my reason for posting this is I need to know what my options are here. Is my carreer as a driver over with? If not, what do I need to do? What sorts of companies might be willing to give me a chance? I have already talked with one company, and they said that they are not really interested, even though they were willing to give me a shot straight out of school.

go back to your driving school for a refresher. since you never did a blind-side as you say..?? you need to KNOW how to do it. this will also go to show a prospective employer you are trying to right several wrongs in your previous training.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am at my whits end at the moment, as I seriously NEED a job, and I thought that trucking would be a good option.

go back to school, and re-apply at other places, and be extra careful out there. none of those crashes you had are on your driving record, only your company file. each job you apply to, you HAVE to list them....as on all applications it will ask, "have any accidents"...???

Thanks for your comments, and I guess I can assume that from your flippant attitude that you must be the one and only perfect driver out there, the one who knows everything about driving. I guess you have no tolerance for us newbies.

yes, it is an accident, as a plastic bumper costs well over $100. many times an "incident" is where the damage is UNDER $100...or at least it once was.

ok, i guess the first question would be, "why couldn't you do a sight-side backing instead"..???

next, door hinges are made to "break away" and spare the door from severe damage. now that door falling on the ground, just had to be damaged. they are heavy. you nor your trainer are experts in door alignment or structure integrity.

they didn't need to hear your side...they saw what you had to say.

that was probably BEFORE you started crashing

ok first, YOU DO NOT KNOW if THOSE drivers damaged THOSE trucks..i can tell you that I HAVE SEEN plenty of werner trucks that were damaged...werner is a "training company" they DO NOT FIX damaged trucks while there are still students to drive them and crash them. Werner repairs the trucks when it comes time to SELL those trucks. it would cost Werner, zillions of dollars to repair the crash damages after each student gets out of one. so for you to say you see damaged trucks, and to assume those drivers DID that damage is a cop out from you.

now unreportable..?? i highly disagree with that..each time a truck goes in for service, they get written up for damages. so again, someone is talking out of his @zz

you would have been instantly fired, and DAC'd....someone is ALWAYS watching you....

go back to your driving school for a refresher. since you never did a blind-side as you say..?? you need to KNOW how to do it. this will also go to show a prospective employer you are trying to right several wrongs in your previous training.

go back to school, and re-apply at other places, and be extra careful out there. none of those crashes you had are on your driving record, only your company file. each job you apply to, you HAVE to list them....as on all applications it will ask, "have any accidents"...???

Hi Joe,your carreer as a trk driver IS NOT OVER.It'll take time to find another trucking job but you will.Apply to every company that hires students and don't be choosey.We all make mistakes and learn from them.You can do something as little as scrap a tire and Werner will classify that as an accident.I like Glenn,he has alot of knowledge about the trucking industry but always sees the glass as half empty.I drove for Werner once upong a time and stayed there 3 yrs.The bumper incident does'nt sound like too big of a deal but it's still an accident as far as Werner is concerned.But the other accident is a big deal.Cost aof of money and time.Never trust anybody who is spotting you not even your trainer.If you feel you don't feel safe trusting his judgement then don't.Always get out an look even if your spotter keeps waving you to come on back.I saved alot of accidents that way.Spotters mean well but some dont keep a close eye on everything.That place you blindsided,did'nt they have enough room for you to turn around or was that your trainers idea to blindside????????????? Anyway hang in there,you'll find a job if you want it bad enough.

hey Joe, as far as good marks go.Sometimes a bad trianer will give good marks to his students to make it look like he is doing a great job.A good trainer will note what needs work and take the time to work with the student on things that need attention,I'm not saying this is the case in your situation I wasn't there.I'm just pointing this out.I have hit things too along the way noone is perfect,all is not lost.Best of luck.

Hey Joe first as you probably know the driver is always respsible spotter or not, if your not positive get out and look, standard CYA, Don't let this setback stop you. If you really want into trucking you'll make it. Your training should have prepared you for blindside backing and if they are reputable they will give you a refresher to help your record. Hang in there and good luck.

I don't think your career is over, but you may have to settle for a lessor company, which in the case of Werner is a good thing. I've done worse and nobody even flinched. But you have to look at from the companies point of view. With the new CSA rules the companies have to mitigate damage to their score. A driver with even just a couple small incidents may be considered unlucky and a future liability. Although I applaud your honestly, this is not exactly a business that is built on honesty and fair play. and remember: they always want to blame somebody (except themselves), so make sure its always somebody else fault. On a personal level, since you were under the charge of your trainer, I think its his responsibility.

I agree w/everyone here. Get a refresher course. Another training company might be willing to give you the refresher. Then start over and learn from your mistakes.

Tip- A good way to avoid a backing accident is not to back. I avoid backing whenever possible. If you must back, G.O.A.L! Twenty times! If there are four pairs of eyes on the truck, two better be watchin your blind spot.
Good Luck Bro.
Don't give up!

TruckingBiker

otrjoe, it sucks that you have had some bad luck, for sure. I would question why the trainer allowed you to get into the situation that damaged the trailer door, if he was spotting for you. Sure, it is ultimately your responsibility, but he was spotting for you.

So how did he manage to let you get into the situation that caused that damage?

Anyway, we all have to take ownership of our actions, good, bad or otherwise.

So all you can do is pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move on. If you want to continue to try and pursue a life as a truck driver, go for it. Be honest and take responsibility for anything you have done, and move on.

Operating a large vehicle can be difficult and intimidating, and when you get into places that are busy and tight, and you are unfamiliar with the area, being extra careful is what is needed. And of course, always be willing to ask for help getting backed into tight places.

When I get to places I have not been to before, I like to get out and take a look around, and try to figure out the best and safest way to get in. Sometimes I ask if cars can be moved, and sometimes I ask how other drivers have made the maneuvers to get in to a particular place.

And even if someone is spotting for you, it still is your responsibility to be sure that you make the move safely.

Good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread