What makes the best trucker?

Gone too are the broken promises, jobless recoveries, tired platitudes, and constant excuses for the depletion of American wealth, power, and prestige.

Seriously though I think there is no “best” trucker. What makes a good tanker hauler isn’t what makes a good van driver. A good van driver may not make a good flat bedder and vise versa. We all share some commonality but our jobs are not the same and require different skills.

Last edited:
Seriously though I think there is no “best” trucker. What makes a good tanker hauler isn’t what makes a good van driver. A good van driver make not make a good flat bedder and vise versa. We all share some commonality but our jobs are not the same and require different skills.

If you want to see the best trucker, you need to look no further than "me". :)

Seriously, you are correct. There is no "best". We had a jackass member here for a while that really wore everyone out with his obsession about being a flatbedder. Each Niche has it's own challenges. Some may not realize that with a dry van, but I can attest that the challenge there is trying to do the easiest job in the industry, but make top dollar at the same time. It's not easy, LOL.

Lots of good drivers out here, lots of really crappy ones as well. Sometimes, I think we are tilting in the wrong direction as far as this goes.

If you want to see the best trucker, you need to look no further than "me". :)

Seriously, you are correct. There is no "best". We had a jackass member here for a while that really wore everyone out with his obsession about being a flatbedder. Each Niche has it's own challenges. Some may not realize that with a dry van, but I can attest that the challenge there is trying to do the easiest job in the industry, but make top dollar at the same time. It's not easy, LOL.

Lots of good drivers out here, lots of really crappy ones as well. Sometimes, I think we are tilting in the wrong direction as far as this goes.
I think vans are the hardest segment to be a true independent in. The amount of competition is overwhelming.

I think vans are the hardest segment to be a true independent in. The amount of competition is overwhelming.
Very true. When other industries tank, they show up digging into our freight base.

This will be particularly true the next month or two. Cans are going to struggle due to freight slowing down from China, produce is at the deadest point of the year, and lowering oil prices are going to result in slower production and layoffs most likely. Most of those folks are coming to haul our freight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread