What is the best fuel filter for a Davco?

davco382.jpgThere are a ton of filter replacement options for the Davco, but which one have you found to perform the best? Or do you think they are all the same.

So far, all I have used are Fleetguard and Baldwin. Up until my current truck, really didn't notice which was better because the Davco wasn't the primary filter, so it was a 25 micron filter. Filter never came close to being clogged up between oil changes (40-50k miles).

Now, running a 7-10 micron filter (I would prefer to stick with a 7 whenever possible), filter life has become an issue, at least during the winter months.

A couple weeks ago, I found out that Fleetguard had 2 different 7 micron filters for my truck. I have the Davco 382, small housing. One is the Elemax, easily identifiable, and other one that Speedco tried to put in my truck that is a fleetguard, without the paper on the outside like the Elemax. Not sure if it is some bulk item that they are getting from fleetguard or what. They told me it is cheaper than the elemax, but lasts longer. I told them to remove it and put the same filter in there that I had in the truck when I arrived. They weren't happy, but they did it.

So, that got me to thinking as I was sitting and looking to order some filters. Which is the best brand to go with? Baldwin? Wix? Fleetguard? Donaldson? Luberfiner? Have another preference?

One thing I know about fuel filters, just because they plug up faster, doesn't mean they are working better. Sometimes, the material on the inside is just inferior.

I have always liked Donaldson filters, never used on in a Davco though. No reason why, just haven't.

Curious as to what your preferences might be though.

Last edited:
The guy who tuned my truck races with these guys. He's pushing 95-98 mph in a quarter mile at 14ish seconds with bobtail

I'd trust him LONG before some Yahoo in Davenport.;)

Really learned a lot about fuel with these small micron filters.

I've learned that fuel in Texas can really plug one of these 7 micron filters up quick. It's not just coincidence from one or to fill ups. Be it pilot or TA, the fuel struggles to get through a 7 micron filter when cold. I guess it's a combination of the bio content, and lack of winterization.

I fueled at the new TA in Hillsboro, TX on my way to Laredo, and topped off their again on my way back up. Weather was really warm (almost 90). Checked my fuel filter when I got home, and it was only 1/3 full. Temp dropped off cold while I was at home, and I ended up having to put a new filter in 50 miles from my house because the filter was totally plugged up. Had the weather not gotten colder, I would have been fine.

Even with the new filter, restriction gauge was reading 5. Ran the fuel down really low and fueled again in Brooklyn, IA. Restriction immediately dropped down to 1.

Before this truck, my Davco filters were just a 25 micron filter because I always had a 2nd filter in the system, so the different fuels were never an issue.

It's really a fuel issue more than a filter issue.

I see similar issues when the temp swings from 30ish to near zero or running north to south.

Pay close attention to performance of the truck, fuel up in the North and run South and the truck will actually run rougher the further south you go.

Northern tier fuel doesn't like running South of like I70 and definitely I40. The fuel properties are too different.

I loaded up full with fuel in Louisiana. By the time I got to Kentucky, I had a "plugged" filter. Davco was full to the top.

Put in 55 gallon fuel in Mt Vernon, by the time I got to Charleston, fuel filter level was back to normal.

I'd still recommend the wix 33651 over the Donaldson. More so for cost. You can get O'Reilly or parts central to order them.

Napa same part and make is 3561.

I switch to a Wix 33656 fuel filter. It's the 25 micron elemax fleetguard

I got in a bind this past week and used a larger fuel filter than what my Davco calls for. It's the 382, and I used a filter that is made for a 382 with the larger bowl. Filter fits, but not alot of room for fuel outside of the filter. Ordered new filters, and planned on replacing it ASAP. Waited too long, as it was in the truck still this morning when I started it after consecutive days of temps dropping near zero. The result? lots of restriction! It ran though, performance wasn't really an issue, so I got the delivery made this morning, reloaded, then got the filter replaced.

Had it been much colder today, I may not have been moving.

Live and learn....

Anybody conclude anything from the filters they tried out? I’m due to order filters soon, I haven’t noticed any difference in how different brands perform. They’re never full before the next service

Anybody conclude anything from the filters they tried out? I’m due to order filters soon, I haven’t noticed any difference in how different brands perform. They’re never full before the next service

I like Donaldson the best, though I am piling up lots of Luberfiner filters in the sidebox because that is what Speedco has now.

If the filter doesn't need to be replaced, I just have them give me the filter and keep it for an emergency.

I order the Donaldson through Ryder Fleet Products, under $12.00 each.

I like Donaldson the best, though I am piling up lots of Luberfiner filters in the sidebox because that is what Speedco has now.

If the filter doesn't need to be replaced, I just have them give me the filter and keep it for an emergency.

I order the Donaldson through Ryder Fleet Products, under $12.00 each.
$19 at Traction, about $3 more than what you’re paying

Although don’t you pay for shipping?

OK, not that I've ever used one, what's wrong with Baldwin?

I've had issues, multiple times, after having a Baldwin fuel filter installed. You know how fuel will be at least at the bottom of the filter after few miles of use? Had Baldwin filters that would have no fuel showing, and truck almost dying when coming to an idle, as well as hard to start. Replace the filter, all fixed. Only Baldwin.

Let Speedco put an air filter in my truck once, because I was planning on replacing it anyway. Truck was making a strange roaring noise. Checked filter shortly after hearing the noise, it didn't even fit snugly in the air filter housing. Same shape as the filter that goes into my truck, Speedco verified the number was correct and gave me the number to verify, it simply didn't go into the t660 housing tightly. Can you imagine how fast that would crater an engine?

I'm done with Badwin filters.

Same as why you don't use fram on your car engine.

Fram was great for my older 6 cyl F150. Great, that is, if you enjoyed hearing a few seconds of engine knock at start up thanks to no check valve to hold the oil in the filter.

Using up my last Fleetguard filter tonight, then I’m switching to Donaldson

I normally don’t change that filter between services but that cleaner really works

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread