What is it going to take to survive?

Very very well said.I'm a company driver but u made some very good points.You o/o are making just enough to keep afloat.So wheres the profit.I bet most the o/o dont have a nickle to show for all their hard work and dedication .A load pays $3000.00 u say well u should receive$2500.00 not half.You get paid only enough for fuel permits ect to keep the trk running.You might as well be a company driver it averages out the same.
Well I did some research, even some companys do not take 50% of the load!!!! Figure it, say a load pays $3000....and the broker takes $1500, the driver still has fuel cost, wear and tear on their truck, what does the broker have? It is just wrong! I have found some companies that pay the driver 65% of the load, plus 100% fuel surcharge, and found one that pays 75% of the load, plus 100% fuel surcharge, and I think that is the way it should be. I myself, intend to broker loads for my husband my self. I have no intention of using someone who takes up to 50% of the load!!! Many of these brokers have killed the trucker and they want you to be a sucker, and what they call a dumb truck driver!!!

well it depends. I am not at poverty level but I can't afford the beach house in FL either.

I pay my bills and can afford high heels......

Well I did some research, even some companys do not take 50% of the load!!!! Figure it, say a load pays $3000....and the broker takes $1500, the driver still has fuel cost, wear and tear on their truck, what does the broker have? It is just wrong! I have found some companies that pay the driver 65% of the load, plus 100% fuel surcharge, and found one that pays 75% of the load, plus 100% fuel surcharge, and I think that is the way it should be. I myself, intend to broker loads for my husband my self. I have no intention of using someone who takes up to 50% of the load!!! Many of these brokers have killed the trucker and they want you to be a sucker, and what they call a dumb truck driver!!!

If you want to help your man out, get your license to broker freight, A local girl up here became a agent for Landstar, she not only saves a big chunk of money for her husband but makes a little extra 'cause she books freight for a few other local Landstar guys, she only does a couple loads a day but is thinking of expanding

now thats an idea.......at Landstar you can do that but where I am I can't do that for my own truck......

As soon as our lease and truck are paid that is exactly what I hope to do. trying to find out if I need to go to school or what to become a broker. I will be my husbands broker.

I will say this as my own opinion, I own a small fleet that I use brokers when I have to (and only when I absolutely have to), only to get my trucks back to an already established customer base. I recently had a freight broker directly contact one of my customers and gave them a written quote to what that broker claimed he could efficently move this customers cargo.
His rate was 37.62% below my current contract with that customer.
There are getting to be just as many brokers as there are competitors to haul freight. What the broker (and I do refer to a few and not all), they have no clue the cost involved to move this freight nor do they care, because they can set in the comfort of their own home based office everyday and when their day is done go to sleep in their nice comfortable bed.

Anyway back on track with the original comments I broker my own freight with a dedicated customer base and because I do understand the underhanded ways to bidding freight in this industry. I give my customers supreme service with a quaranty that a broker can not and will not do. So please refrain from the stone throwing in the industry because we have enough to deal with.
And before you cast that first stone make sure you understand both sides of an issue, because no issue is ever one sided

In my opinion; If you are hauling anything off the east or west cost for cheaper then $2.00 a mile you are either barely breaking even or you have a truck driver that is going hungry
I like this guy. Well said. I am seeing both sides, and very interesting points. Thank you

From what I see, Brokers pay Shyt. You guys should start offering better pay for each of the loads. Im going to be blunt, You wont give a good rate because the mexican, polish, russians will do it for nothing. And you guys think you can get a real truck driver to do it for nothing. Aint going to happen. Drivers should get out and have there own contacts with companies and cut out the middle man. Then the truck can get what it deserves. Better pay.

1.85 is cheap if i ran for that i wood be doing it for free. tolls road tax ins fuel payments food on table kids and to save some ? you can keep your $ 1.85

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread