What are the main things you like about trucking?

Mike

Unless you are one of those I hear out here on the CB that hates what they do for a living, there has to be something that keeps you out here driving a truck.

What keeps you in this industry?

For me, I don't really know what it is. I have gotten out of this industry twice now, only to find myself back in it. The first time, I stayed away for almost 7 years, the 2nd time for about 3 years. And during the time away, the temptation or "itch" to get back into it was always there.

what other job has this much freedom w/ no boss over your shoulder and nobody watching your every move.

My husband really likes it because of the freedom. He likes that he doesn't really have to answer to somebody all the time like he did at his old job. Also, he likes the money, which is more than he used to make. He really enjoys driving.

Nothing, and med school is expensive.

I just wanted to reemphasize how much I don't like it.

To be honest, the people. I like the drivers. They are a different sort of person and in a good way. They love freedom and they have seen a lot of things and in many way more aware of how people are different and yet the same no matter where you are. At least I feel that way about the old timers I know and like.

For me, I don't really know what it is. I have gotten out of this industry twice now, only to find myself back in it. The first time, I stayed away for almost 7 years, the 2nd time for about 3 years. And during the time away, the temptation or "itch" to get back into it was always there.

I can't figure it out either, I thought I was finished w/ OTR, so I took a local job, home every night for eight hours and started all over again, felt like I was working harder and home less than when I was OTR. Opened a hot dog stand, nice job, good income, home everyday, no boss, no dispatchers, great. Then after two years I was itching to get back in the truck, sort of like a food craving, just had to do it. Now I have the best of both, work hot dog stand six months, drive OTR for six months, same company every year. Now once October comes around I can't wait to get going....

you know i got into this industry a few years ago. And I have been hooked ever since. You know it funny cause whenever any asks me this question I always say the same thing. that this is one of those things that you love it or hate it. For me I am one that loves it. I love everything about it. I am one of those guys that love their truck. I think someone should make one of those signs like they have for jeep. It's A Truck Thing. lol

I drove 10 years in Europe from Spain to Poland, from Italy to Finland. Always complains about customs. Came 25 years ago here, start driving. I think I made the
worst mistake in my life. I`m not bit......... I just wanna share is nothing to like it.
Freedom is gone for at least 10 years. everybody try to make money on us, they think we are millionaire. I`m scare when thinking about retirement, at least in Europe I wouldn`t worried about this part.

I like sleeping in a warm toasty truck, when it's snowing like hell outside lol.

That is always a strange feeling. Waking up in the morning all warm in the bunk, getting dressed, opening up the curtain and seeing nothing but a wall of white on the windshield.

I would have to say the best part is that every day is new. Not the same drive to and from the same job to see the same people and talk the same talk. You are out there. Seeing the country.
People I talk to always look at me funny when I say I am a truck driver. They always expected me to be a doctor, etc. Then I tell them about a cow pasture outside of Dallas that will wake the dead. Driving through the Dakotas at 3am and snowing. How nice it is (visually) going through Donner's Pass. Then they all say "I wish.."
Thanks to this job I have met Navajos, Choctaws, Amish, Ukrainians, Canadians, Mexicans, Italians and so many more. Name a job that pays as well were you can do these things. Thanks to this job I will be in Brazil for Carnival instead of New Orleans for Mardi Gras (grew up in NO). Then 2 weeks in Italy and Spain. How many others can do that?

I like the changing scenery. We travel all over the U.S. and don't have dedicated runs, so we never know where we'll be from week-to-week, and I like the variety this brings to life.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread