What are some of the fuel economy improvements you've made to your engine?

I just came across this interesting sidebar in the July 2014 issue of Commercial Carrier Journal where a Yokohama Tire exec breaks down fuel efficiency. For every dollar spent on fuel:

- 60 percent is wasted by engine inefficiency

- 21 percent is wasted by aerodynamic drag

o 50 percent is wasted by the drive position

o 35 percent is wasted by the trailer position

o 15 percent is wasted by steer position

- 13 percent is consumed by overcoming tire rolling resistance (average of all tread types)

- 4 percent is consumed by the load

- 2 percent is consumed by the drivetrain

Based on this info, efficient engines are by far the most important keys to fuel efficiency. What are some of the fuel economy improvements you’ve made to your engine?

I put a OEM baro sensor in and started to calculate my standard deviation on my mileage.

I took the stock wastegated turbo off my Series 60 and replaced it with a larger non wastegated Borg Warner turbo. I put on a ported/polished/ceramic coated exhaust manifold. I put a blanket on the turbo. I ran that back to twin stacks out the back with Walker Megaflow mufflers. Far better performance and economy than stock by a considerable amount. EGT's considerably cooler on hard pulls. ECM was tweaked to remove the fuel robbing '98 EPA settings.

For every dollar spent on fuel:
- 60 percent
- 21 percent
o 50 percent
o 35 percent
o 15 percent
- 13 percent
- 4 percent
- 2 percent
By my math, that's 200%. If I'm wasting 200% of the efficiency of each dollar spent on fuel, that means I spend an awful lot of money sitting around doing nothing. I think your Yokohama dude is FOS.

What are some of the fuel economy improvements you’ve made to your engine?
Pedis dextra elevation

For fuel efficiency of the vehicle one and the foremost required thing is the maintenance of the vehicle in the form of its regular service and get it checked at regular intervals by the professional mechanic. This process will certainly improve the fuel efficiency of the vehicle.

the cheapest on Fuel i run when a Packet Marlborough were laying under the Trottle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread