Western Star 5700

Mike

Was walking back to the truck here at Love's, and seen a nice looking Western Star 5700 parked with a tanker behind it. I had to make u-turn and ask questions.

Never been inside of one, and he told me to jump in and take a look. Have to say, i am leaning closer to a Western Star over a Cascadia or 579 Pete after viewing that truck. 86 inch sleeper, and it was really nice!.

The guy was in a Cascadia before this truck and he told me that the visibility through the mirrors on the Western Star was actually better than the Cascadia, which was another one of my concerns.

I need one of these!

Was walking back to the truck here at Love's, and seen a nice looking Western Star 5700 parked with a tanker behind it. I had to make u-turn and ask questions.

Never been inside of one, and he told me to jump in and take a look. Have to say, i am leaning closer to a Western Star over a Cascadia or 579 Pete after viewing that truck. 86 inch sleeper, and it was really nice!.

The guy was in a Cascadia before this truck and he told me that the visibility through the mirrors on the Western Star was actually better than the Cascadia, which was another one of my concerns.

I need one of these!
The new Western Stars are pretty cool looking, like a Transformer truck.
1569978494799.png

I need one of these!
I agree I love the 5700 I love western star trucks as much as I love Pete’s.

I took a 2017 4900 in on a trade for a 2020 389 a few months back...it's a nice truck but I wouldn't compare it to a 389 or W900 (and neither would it's previous owner).
I've never been in a 5700 but it's essentially a Freighliner with a different name...same company.

I took a 2017 4900 in on a trade for a 2020 389 a few months back...it's a nice truck but I wouldn't compare it to a 389 or W900 (and neither would it's previous owner).
I've never been in a 5700 but it's essentially a Freighliner with a different name...same company.
While yes they are owned by the same company, comparing a Cascadia to a 5700 is like comparing apples to baseballs. That 5700 is a much better built cab and chassis. In western star fashion when you close a door it sounds like you closed a truck door vs the Cascadia which sounds like you dented a soda can.

I need one of these!
i had only driven one W/S, and that was a 1986 model..

damned thing shook out the remaining teeth that i had.

hopefully, they improved the ride, to at least include air inflated tires..???

While yes they are owned by the same company, comparing a Cascadia to a 5700 is like comparing apples to baseballs. That 5700 is a much better built cab and chassis. In western star fashion when you close a door it sounds like you closed a truck door vs the Cascadia which sounds like you dented a soda can.
Cab, sure...what's the difference in the chassis?

Hacked single piece crossmembers, also added bracing at the rear to appeal to the Canadian market because as @Hillbilly Canuck says they just add another axle like Michigan.
Interesting...a competitor's sales rep (FL and WS) told me that they were identical aside from the cab. Are you sure you're not just seeing trucks that were spec'd out differently, or are you confident that there are significant chassis differences?
For the record, Pete and KW are about 90% the same underneath the cab...different cross members are about the only difference that I'm aware of.

Interesting...a competitor's sales rep (FL and WS) told me that they were identical aside from the cab. Are you sure you're not just seeing trucks that were spec'd out differently, or are you confident that there are significant chassis differences?
For the record, Pete and KW are about 90% the same underneath the cab...different cross members are about the only difference that I'm aware of.
Well as sure as I can be since I haven’t worked on one since it’s debut Year of 2013 (2014 my). I dunno maybe it did change some. But you just admitted that the PACCAR family does the same thing so is it far fetched to believe it’s still that way? I’d say no.

N
Replacement crossmember on my century was a 6-piece crossmember. The one that broke was welded and solid.

Design update because it was too rigid
not a design change for the century. That 6 piece was so the didn’t have to remove all the other crossmembers to install it.

All I've driven for the last couple decades are carhaulers. The bump steer in the Petes is ridiculous.

I see Peterbilt as the Harleys of trucking. They have a rabid fan base who calls everything else junk, when they're the ones who are a generation or two behind in their engineering. And the style over functionality thing speaks for itself. Just my 2¢.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread