Watch your bank account activity closely

Mike

Somebody has used one of my debit card numbers to obtain credit reports, and apparently they like to check their credit score on a daily basis.

The person I am talking to said it is a possibility that the person who used my card number possibly transposed a couple numbers or may have the same card number. Makes no sense to me because the card should only work with the name on the card (my name) and my address, my security code, and the expiration date on my card.

Apparently, the company that took my card number as payment doesn't check anything, because they didn't use my name or address to make the charges. The person on the phone also told me they don't verify any of that information or the security code on the back of the card. Apparently, they don't verify the expiration date either because I had my card replaced (it broke in half on me) and the expiration date changed.

So, with nothing but a card number, this person not only opened up one account with this company, but ended up opening a second account as well.

Ironically, the account was opened up with freecreditscore.com, and showed up on my statement as "Experian Free Credit Score". Luckily, a phone number was there as well.

While this wasn't an actual case of identity theft, it really made me take notice of just how easily you identity can be stolen, no matter how careful you are.

Needless to say, my bank is going to have some questions to answer about this because they should have never allowed these charges on my card without the correct information to go along with the card number.

I did a search on this before contacting the company, and this is happening to alot of people.

We had this issue also a few months back. Luckily we caught it early enough and had everything stopped.

wow that doe suck. Bank will straighten out tho. it doesn't take much information for this to happen. Dont know why it isnt identity theft tho. Its somebody using your identity w/o your permission.

I did a search on this before contacting the company, and this is happening to alot of people.

How often do you use your debit card at ATM machines and gas pumps? I'm not sure if you've heard of this, but there are devices that are easily inserted in card readers that allow the information on your card to be recorded with just a simple swipe. This technique is widely known as "skimming".

Here is an article for those of you who are unfamiliar to this skimming technique that low-life losers utilize to steal YOUR information:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/checking/skimming-the-cash-out-of-your-account-1.aspx

thats why they tell you to hit the "end" button or other button to make sure it goes back to main screen. For some reason if you dont do this, the info stays right there, if you do , it moves on just as you never put the card in. Or a safe proof way is to get one of those key cards that hotels/motels issue whe you get a room. Keep it and everytime you use a atm, when your done with your trans action, stick it the slot like credit/debit card. It will show up fail to read card. And thats the last info in the atm or other place swiped.

thats why they tell you to hit the "end" button or other button to make sure it goes back to main screen. For some reason if you dont do this, the info stays right there, if you do , it moves on just as you never put the card in. Or a safe proof way is to get one of those key cards that hotels/motels issue whe you get a room. Keep it and everytime you use a atm, when your done with your trans action, stick it the slot like credit/debit card. It will show up fail to read card. And thats the last info in the atm or other place swiped.

Hitting the end button on a transaction makes absolutely no sense at all if a person's information is instantly stolen on the initial swipe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread