Was I Wrong?

Hi folks. I'm a new driver. Got my CDL in July 2007 and team with my husband. This is my question. I was on duty driving when we got to the shipper. I went into the office and was told to slid my tandems, keep the doors closed and back into the dock. The dock workers will open the doors, load and close and seal the doors. I did as I was told. When we were done being loaded the guy comes to my door and tells me to raise the trailer. I told him my trailer didn't have air suspension that I can't raise it. He then told me to slowly move from the dock which I did. When he came back he informs me that the trailer door is damaged and he needed to get his boss. I got out and looked and the door pole that locks the door was bent up. I called our DSR and maintenance dept. told them what happened. The shipper heated the bar and banged it back so the door would lock. We were able to deliver the load and brought the trailer to a terminal. I took pictures and called safety. Now I find out that I didn't get the quarterly bonus because of this incident. Although they didn't record it as a preventable accident they held this against me apparently. Was I wrong?

no you didn't do anything wrong that i can see. but with the economy as it is and companies cutting corners everywhere they can, they are just looking for reasons not to hand out bonuses.

how did the bar get bent ? i don't understand that part. was it like that when you picked the trailer up ? if not then the shipper should be held responsible for damaging it since they opened and closed the doors.

i find this all too odd.............

if your trailer had swing doors, and you're backed up against the dock, how on earth were the doors opened...?? they'd be impossible to open backed into the dock door.....

anyhow, once opened, they must have not latched the doors to the trailer side hooks..............this IS your fault for not checking and confirming things.

were you ever able to go onto the dock and check things out....??

if so and you didn't notice anything wrong and bring it up to someone's attention, then yes, you did wrong.

your company found things wrong, just like i did.............and you lost your bonus.

its still 100% your responsibility to check things out.

Wasn't there, But.........

i find this all too odd.............

if your trailer had swing doors, and you're backed up against the dock, how on earth were the doors opened...?? they'd be impossible to open backed into the dock door.....

anyhow, once opened, they must have not latched the doors to the trailer side hooks..............this IS your fault for not checking and confirming things.

were you ever able to go onto the dock and check things out....??

if so and you didn't notice anything wrong and bring it up to someone's attention, then yes, you did wrong.

your company found things wrong, just like i did.............and you lost your bonus.

its still 100% your responsibility to check things out.
Of course I wasn't there, but it sounds like it was an open dock(no doors, just a platform) that she was told to back up against to be loaded. There are some places that don't allow drivers on the dock in this case because of possibly falling off and causing insurance claims for them. They have you back in and they open the trailer doors and load you. Once loaded they close you up and you pull away from the dock. It is possible they opened the doors onto the dock, loaded the trailer, the weight lowered the trailer, in effect lowering the doors too, possibly bending the door latchbar. Or the bar was jammed on the dock and they told her to pull out so they could unjam it and close the door. When she pulled out on their orders, it bent the door latchbar. NOT HER FAULT at all. She only did what she was told to do by the company's shipper. Dock workers at shipper should be held responsible, not her.

Of course I wasn't there, but it sounds like it was an open dock(no doors, just a platform) that she was told to back up against to be loaded. There are some places that don't allow drivers on the dock in this case because of possibly falling off and causing insurance claims for them. They have you back in and they open the trailer doors and load you. Once loaded they close you up and you pull away from the dock. It is possible they opened the doors onto the dock, loaded the trailer, the weight lowered the trailer, in effect lowering the doors too, possibly bending the door latchbar. Or the bar was jammed on the dock and they told her to pull out so they could unjam it and close the door. When she pulled out on their orders, it bent the door latchbar. NOT HER FAULT at all. She only did what she was told to do by the company's shipper. Dock workers at shipper should be held responsible, not her.

the driver is still ultimately responsible. now, according to your theory, why weren't the doors bent or the hinges broken as well...?? i'll bet you they were and this is now an incident (break-away hinges).............so she's still nailed for the incident...........

she could have still stood outside, on the ground and checked things out.....

i've been told numerous times not to go onto the docks, that never stoped me from walking along side my trailer..........and checking things out.....

still her fault..........for the incident, and she lost her bonus.

the driver is still ultimately responsible. now, according to your theory, why weren't the doors bent or the hinges broken as well...?? i'll bet you they were and this is now an incident (break-away hinges).............so she's still nailed for the incident...........

she could have still stood outside, on the ground and checked things out.....

i've been told numerous times not to go onto the docks, that never stoped me from walking along side my trailer..........and checking things out.....

still her fault..........for the incident, and she lost her bonus.
Whatever man. I guess you, in all your professional travels, have never had to back into a dock that was so tight between trailers you couldn't walk down the side of your trailer. I have, and I have seen and been at docks where they open your doors straight out from the back of the trailer (against the doors of the trailer next to you). I still say if they loaded the trailer and the weight jammed the latchbar on the dock and they told her to pull out so they could close the doors, it's their fault & not hers. You would never feel that damn skinny little bar bending as you pull out, and it would bend long before the hinges or the door was pulled off. Sorry Mr. Company man......I strongly disagree with your typical company mentality. This time I think You and her Company are wrong.

Whatever man. I guess you, in all your professional travels, have never had to back into a dock that was so tight between trailers you couldn't walk down the side of your trailer. I have, and I have seen and been at docks where they open your doors straight out from the back of the trailer (against the doors of the trailer next to you). I still say if they loaded the trailer and the weight jammed the latchbar on the dock and they told her to pull out so they could close the doors, it's their fault & not hers. You would never feel that damn skinny little bar bending as you pull out, and it would bend long before the hinges or the door was pulled off. Sorry Mr. Company man......I strongly disagree with your typical company mentality. This time I think You and her Company are wrong.

yes, i HAVE backed into docks that were tight....New England, NYC, NJ, and DC are loaded with them....i still get between them, maybe its because i'm skinny, and your not...???

and YES the hinges would crack or break......IF the doors were resting on the dock floor as you suggest....the bouncy-bouncy of the fork lift going in and out of the trailer would cause the hinges to crack, even break....i guess you didn't think about that too huh....????

she's still at fault. she's a newbie.....she learned a valuable lesson....G.O.A.L.

my company mentality does me fine......i don't worry about the cost of fuel......and you.....??? still going to shut down for a useless cause....??

i'll still be making a paycheck that week, like the past useless shutdowns.....

yes, i HAVE backed into docks that were tight....New England, NYC, NJ, and DC are loaded with them....i still get between them, maybe its because i'm skinny, and your not...???

and YES the hinges would crack or break......IF the doors were resting on the dock floor as you suggest....the bouncy-bouncy of the fork lift going in and out of the trailer would cause the hinges to crack, even break....i guess you didn't think about that too huh....????

she's still at fault. she's a newbie.....she learned a valuable lesson....G.O.A.L.

my company mentality does me fine......i don't worry about the cost of fuel......and you.....??? still going to shut down for a useless cause....??

i'll still be making a paycheck that week, like the past useless shutdowns.....
I along with quite a few others on this forum put your ignorant ass on ignore awhile back, I guess I need to do it again. I just thought you may have learned your lesson, but I see that you haven't. Don't even bother to respond, You are again on Ignore. Have a Great Life alone Loner. You and your egotistic self should have tons of fun together.

I along with quite a few others on this forum put your ignorant ass on ignore awhile back, I guess I need to do it again. I just thought you may have learned your lesson, but I see that you haven't. Don't even bother to respond, You are again on Ignore. Have a Great Life alone Loner. You and your egotistic self should have tons of fun together.

what lesson was there to be learned........??

i will speak my mind.........you don't like it......don't read it..........

I FIND YOU NOT GUILTY!!!:hug:

we can be as sincere as all heck, problem here though, we do not control the safety dept where she works. she messed up, in the eyes of HER safety dept. she was nailed for it. all we can do is encourage her to do the "G.O.A.L." thing, NO MATTER WHAT the shipper or reciever says.....its called, "C.Y.A.".................

Some guy making 10-15 dollars an hr can give a rats butt about some drivers trailer. When he has seen dozens already that day. I have a custom built trailer and I trust no one with it and that truck doesn't move unless I know its ready to be moved.

But on the other hand if they opened the doors the way they should have been, they wouldn't have jammed because of the weight. Don't the doors open against the side of the truck? I would blame the dock guys for not opening them all the way, and that I bet they are told to do from day 1. And blame the driver for trusting a $15 and hr pot head with her truck. Sorry

i have read the replies here and it seems me something is missing. i think there is more to this story thsn is being told. after sitting back and thinking i wonder how can the pole be damaged if it is properly secured against the trailer ? i am thinking a proper pre trip was not done when said trailer was picked up and this could have been a pre existing problem. on the other hand if the trailer was on un even ground and they forced the door shut then that might have bent it. pointing fingers is not the answer here. whats important is she learned from this and doesn't let it happen again.

I was not allowed to inspect the area. I should in hind sight checked things out. The trailer sat high enough up against the dock for the doors to be opened. The doors where not hinged to the trailer sides. As far as I can see they were opened inside the bay door. When we were loaded it weighed the trailer down and the trailer didn't have air suspension therefore I couldn't raise it. This was the first time our company went to this shipper. The latchbar was bent up to a 45 degree angle. I'm thinking as I got to the edge of the dock when the trailer dropped is when the bar bent. I will never take the word of a shipper or receiver again. If it doesn't sound right I'll question it and at least get the go ahead from my DSR or Maintenance. Lesson learned.

I was not allowed to inspect the area. I should in hind sight checked things out. The trailer sat high enough up against the dock for the doors to be opened. The doors where not hinged to the trailer sides. As far as I can see they were opened inside the bay door. When we were loaded it weighed the trailer down and the trailer didn't have air suspension therefore I couldn't raise it. This was the first time our company went to this shipper. The latchbar was bent up to a 45 degree angle. I'm thinking as I got to the edge of the dock when the trailer dropped is when the bar bent. I will never take the word of a shipper or receiver again. If it doesn't sound right I'll question it and at least get the go ahead from my DSR or Maintenance. Lesson learned.

Sorry this happened to you but shit happens. Now you know. Most places like this will ask you to pull from the dock before they lock your doors. It's not al you it his a big part the dock guys but it's a fight that will convict you, forget it, whatever, live and learn. we all have stories of dumb thing we done. But this is not your funny mess up. Wait till the next one.:tiphat:

45 degree's? sounds a bit far, no? did you have 8 flats too?

Well I don't know it looked like it was bent up about 45 degrees I could be wrong. But yeah it's a lesson learned. I was a little peeved but I realize that if it doesn't sound right I'm not doing it until I check things out. I assumed their set up could accommodate our trailers. I realize what happens to someone who assumes. All in all I'm happy with my company. I team and team drivers get an extra bonus of $.15 a mile for anything over 48,000 in a quarter. We drove 55,000 so we will be getting a nice check. It takes the sting out of my boo-boo. Thanks to all who shared their opinions. I learn from all of your experiences and knowledge.

just brush it off and move on. it's all you can do. ignore the nay sayers as you and your partner were the only ones there. but you know now if a shipper/reciever says the same thing you know what to do. and i hate to say it but being a female driver things are a little tougher for you out there and you need to cover your butt and watch your p's and q's a little more closely. sad to say but not everyone excepts a female driver yet.

Well I don't know it looked like it was bent up about 45 degrees I could be wrong. But yeah it's a lesson learned. I was a little peeved but I realize that if it doesn't sound right I'm not doing it until I check things out. I assumed their set up could accommodate our trailers. I realize what happens to someone who assumes. All in all I'm happy with my company. I team and team drivers get an extra bonus of $.15 a mile for anything over 48,000 in a quarter. We drove 55,000 so we will be getting a nice check. It takes the sting out of my boo-boo. Thanks to all who shared their opinions. I learn from all of your experiences and knowledge.

I was just busting your chops about the 45 degree's. I knew that couldn't be right. Don't mind me I'm the local wiseguy, and my buddy Cerb is as well. But we both know, we all know, that this is a simple screw up on all parties.

55k in a 1/4? damn girl, slow down smell the roses' would ya?

I was just busting your chops about the 45 degree's. I knew that couldn't be right. Don't mind me I'm the local wiseguy, and my buddy Cerb is as well. But we both know, we all know, that this is a simple screw up on all parties.

55k in a 1/4? damn girl, slow down smell the roses' would ya?

no i am not. lol. i think you mis-spelled sledgehammer and wrote in mine on accident. lol

btw. you see the little spat between pro and bandit in this thread. somebody needs to change there pad as they jumped on another member in another thread a little while ago. lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread