Want to know your opinion on DPFs

DieselResearch

Hey everyone,

I'm a student working on developing a diesel particulate filter competitor, and I'm looking to get some of your opinions on how these things affect you guys. Things like:
-How often do you have to replace them (if ever)
-How much does it cost you to maintain these things (each month/year/truck lifetime)?
-What headaches do they cause you?
-If you have to get a new one, do you get it from a repair shop? Or is there an aftermarket distributor?

Any input whatsoever is appreciated.

Constant problems with the dpf and emissions system on the trucks once they get around 300,000 miles on them has been my exp. Headaches literaly when doing a manual regen. Nasty smell. Check engine lite always coming on. Pain in the azz!

Hey everyone,

I'm a student working on developing a diesel particulate filter competitor, and I'm looking to get some of your opinions on how these things affect you guys. Things like:
-How much does it cost you to maintain these things (each month/year/truck lifetime)?
-If you have to get a new one, do you get it from a repair shop? Or is there an aftermarket distributor?

My biggest problem is some trucks when the light comes on wont initiate a Regen...

At this point it requires a Forced Regen meaning spending however long at a Shop...

If a Forced Regen wont take then its probably gotta be BAKED

DPF and DEF exhaust system as a whole doesn't seem to work well with rest of the truck's system. I'm and Engineer and a designer prior to trucking and most systems (power & drive, brake & air, suspension, etc.) seems to work well enough. DPF not only complicates (affects) other systems, but also is not as reliable as the rest, thus makes it one of the weak link in the operation.
I had issues with DEF system in my truck (probably still have), air system affects crystalization in the DEF system and plugs up nozzles, etc. It's gotten better with newer system, but still lacks robustness.
It's a financial burden for truck companies, that will stop it from being used widely never mind what EPA says.

Hey everyone,

You have already created one of these threads, please use it for any further research you want to do.

Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) (and a new model that is way better)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread