Want-to-be has questions

Papa

Currently working on my CDL and doing a great deal of trucker related research on-line.

At 63 and no damn way to retire, I've got to find a new career.

I've discovered that their are some out-of-pocket expenses for OTR drivers that may or may not be reimbursed by the employer. Items such as toll-roads, lumpers, meals, lodgeing, parking, showers, lights or bulbs, etc.

For an OTR driver, is there a rule of thumb in regard to how much money and or personal credit a driver should have available to them per week?

From a "getting started" standpoint, is there a site I might visit that would provide me with some basic answers to questions such as: Should I purchase my own microwave/CB/sattelite radio/TV-DVD/refridgerator, etc.

How many changes of underwear should I take (although this might relate directly to driving conditions) :)

I don't want to spend my first solo days wishing I had brought something with me or not being able to move my truck because I have a burned out light I can't afford to replace.

Thank you one and all for any insights, observations and suggestions.

Currently working on my CDL and doing a great deal of trucker related research on-line.

I've discovered that their are some out-of-pocket expenses for OTR drivers that may or may not be reimbursed by the employer. Items such as toll-roads, lumpers, meals, lodgeing, parking, showers, lights or bulbs, etc.

Tolls,lumpers are usually paid for by company

Lodging will be in your truck, shower after you get fuel for free, lights or bulbs visit your maintenance department at your terminal tell them you need extras.

For an OTR driver, is there a rule of thumb in regard to how much money and or personal credit a driver should have available to them per week?

Most companies give advances per day, per week comes right off your paycheck.

From a "getting started" standpoint, is there a site I might visit that would provide me with some basic answers to questions such as: Should I purchase my own microwave/CB/sattelite radio/TV-DVD/refridgerator, etc.

A Good Flashlite - Get a Mag lite (like a cops lite)
CB Radio - $100.00
Antenna - Truck probably has one, if not they very in prices (You get what you pay for)
Microwave - This means getting an inverter also, You will need to talk to your company about this some will not let you install a inverter.
Sattelite radio - completely up to you
TV-DVD - A Must or it will get awfully boring setting looking out the window while you wait around.
Refridgerator - You can buy one at walmarts for around $75.00 to $100.00 looks like a cooler.

This is not a list of have to have items...just makes your life a little easier.

How many changes of underwear should I take (although this might relate directly to driving conditions) :)

LOL! Yea, this can depend on driving conditions.....Really I would pack cloths for 7 to 10 days. Some drivers don't shower everyday...I try to shower everyday.
If cloths run short, you can always take a few hours and wash them. Truck stops and terminals usually have washer and dryers.

I don't want to spend my first solo days wishing I had brought something with me or not being able to move my truck because I have a burned out light I can't afford to replace.

There is always something you forget, i am sure there is more to list than I provided, but at least it is a start.

first off Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you here. If you got a question or have a thought put it out here and there are several people here who can answer your questions the best they can. now lets see how i can answer a few of your initial questions.

Tolls/lumpers are taken care of by employer by prepass/reimbursement and comchecks. other expenses like food is covered by you. this is where you get creative and try to save money by having a cooler for drinks, some foods and have snacks handy to munch on. truck stops are a money pit and costs can get out of hand if you decide to eat out at the truck stop 3 times a day. i run on a 100$ a week. i eat one good meal a day at a restaraunt and eat out of the truck the other two meals plus i carry healthy snacks and fruits.

as in purchasing items, only do so as you make the money to pay for it. and the extras you have in the truck all depends on how long you plan on being out at a time. i personally sleep when i can and drive when i can. i don't carry much with me. i got the satelite radio, cooler and a personal dvd player for watching movies. the rule of thumb for me on clothes is to bring an extra pair of everything just in case a freak accident happens.

another thing is make sure you pick up "payback" cards for the truckstops. you get points on them after you purchase fuel,food,maintaince from the shop and you can use them to get things for free at the truckstops.

your first trip out you will realize there are things that either you forgot or you could use. it's inevitable. it happened to us all. just write them down and grab them when you can. a few things that might make the job a little easier are : grab a 5th wheel handle puller( easier on the back and no grease on the clothes), a simple tool kit with electrical tape(for a busted air hose) , a few bungee cords (different sizes). these are just a few items i can think of right off hand.

a trainer will show you most of the basics but the rest you will learn on your own or by asking other drivers. after 17 yrs of this i still learn things each week.

q and a

got a lot of advice from how to get grease out of clothes(coca cola directly on grease and rest of can in washer,) to why everyone carries pantyhose..they make a handy dandy loadbar, great fanbelt, tie the mirrors back on, secure the sparetire to the catwalk, tie the airlines back up etc..best thing to remember is a truckdriving atlas..shows bridge law, road restrictions and scale locations..same with a walmart map.it is invaluable..best of luck

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread