• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Walmart starts imposing new penalties

I dunno...
Some of these guys got plenty-enough ass to stash a coupla Pallets!
:D

No offense intended to @Keendriver...
and besides, he uses the space for gas.
:stare1:
:biglaugh:
Gratuitous is the word that comes to mind.

Maybe a little time in the box is what's needed.

Gratuitous is the word that comes to mind.

Maybe a little time in the box is what's needed.
sullivans-2-300x168.jpg

In many ways, it sounds like WalMart is going backwards, not forwards.

Starting with the drivers, a couple decades ago one of the things a driver searched heavily to avoid was slip seating. Now, it is acceptable if you are working for WalMart.

All this crap they envision doing at the dock is going to delay drivers. Another thing that this industry has worked towards removing.

When I started pulling for Schneider, it reintroduced me to Walmart. I was used to dreading that place. Now, I am beginning to do so again. We drop and hook everything, and they have somehow made that undesirable. Drop and hook freight is supposed to be a bonus, at WalMart it has become a pain. We literally have to pick up loads to satisfy the shipper (company drivers in this situation), and relay them to a drop yard to wait on a drop date. Loads that I, as an owner operator pick up, are becoming far less productive because I pick the load up one day, then sit most of the next day waiting for the specific drop date (just to drop in on their yard). In the past, we had a 2-3 day window, I could pick it up, take it to the DC, drop as soon as I could get it there basically, and leave. It's not like there is a lack of space at the DC, there is plenty of drop space.

In some cases, it's not even a 24 hour drop window anymore, they are even reducing that. For my operation, I now simply bypass those loads because I go home weekly, and have no time to sit on loads just so I can go in at a perfect time for WalMart.

WalMart has already took measures that created problems for us when they decided to move in and take over the freight that we always hauled. We lost it at a couple locations because WalMart had visions of being able to backhaul all of it. That lasted a couple weeks or so, and now it is being handed down to us anyway. Only problem is, we have less time to plan for these loads to become available, because places like P&G used to get the load info out to us way early, so we could book these loads days in advance.

WalMart expects perfection from everyone else, and cannot do their jobs properly. they load scrap paper on our trailers, and I sometimes watch those trailers sit for over a month before somebody remembers it's loaded and an a gate pass is generated for the paper plant so we can haul it. Yes, I have literally tracked trailers sitting their for 6 or more weeks, and Schneider sees them as being empty because WalMart has never informed them that they are loaded. It's not uncommon to run around the DC and check out 15 trailers only to find them all loaded with scrap, yet we have no loads in the system to show us they are loaded. So, we end up traveling all over town after one of their narrow drop windows to find an empty trailer at another place just so we can get our next load.

Overall, it is like WalMart seems like they feel as though they can do whatever they want, to whoever they want, and everyone will just fall in line because they are so powerful. They want the shippers to prioritize them, and they want the carriers to prioritize them, all for fear of losing them. This will backfire on them over time.

WalMart has legitimate competition now. All that strongarm tactics are going to do is push shippers and carriers over toward their competition.

It's not like there is a lack of space at the DC, there is plenty of drop space.

I have no idea about the ones over there for space, but we are strapped. We have two off site facilities just because we are so limited on space.

I have no idea about the ones over there for space, but we are strapped. We have two off site facilities just because we are so limited on space.

Maybe trying to do too much with limited space?

Management would counter we are freight flow, not freight storage ;) I get folks are not liking the new constraints. Those are not just outside of Wallyworld. Plenty of folks here are figuring out just because they did it one way for 30 years does not mean we are not going to do it a different way now.

It goes further than transportation. Many of the departments are being reorganized into a "modern" position.

Management would counter we are freight flow, not freight storage ;) I get folks are not liking the new constraints. Those are not just outside of Wallyworld. Plenty of folks here are figuring out just because they did it one way for 30 years does not mean we are not going to do it a different way now.

It goes further than transportation. Many of the departments are being reorganized into a "modern" position.
Your management is screwed up.

IT'S WALMART PROPERTY ON OUR TRAILERS.

We are not a rolling freight storage facility.

Agreed, which is why vendors are being warned to not ship stuff early. We are not even being allowed to pick up early at some locations.

Stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

30 years ago, WalMart was a royal pain to deal with. 20 years ago, WalMart was a pain to deal with. They may changes that were improvements as we moved this industry more toward drop and hook, and things improved.

They can only do so many things to improve their bottom line at the expense of everyone else til it gets to the point that it will negatively affect their ability to compete with the folks that have become their competition. They will find themselves paying more for product, and paying more to get it moved.

far be it from me to tell a huge organization how to run their business, but I truly believe these moves are going to bite them in the behind.

Seriously, some of the stuff they do is just silly. Last month, after years and years of pulling into the Bentonville DC, they decided to switch which side we come in on. Why? Because the calculated the lost production hours for the drivers according to how much longer it took them to get through the gate. New signs, repainting, and drivers all going in and out the wrong lanes now. This is no big deal in and of itself, but it speaks to the mentality that is coming from upper management. If they saved any time here, they lost it by now having to take their devices out and take pictures of the seals, rather than just verifying the seal number and moving on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread