• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Wal-Mart Private Fleet Review

Tazz

Infidel
Getting on at Wal-Mart may be a lengthy process, but well worth it if you are looking for stability and some really decent pay.

First you apply. You can go to Drive4Walmart.com and fill out the application. You can choose from any of the open job listings. If you do not see the DC you want, you can apply atany DC and after 1 year transfer to the one you like.

Make sure your dates are correct in your work history, and disclose anything about tickets, suspensions etc. I have been told, and witnessed, that honesty counts over record when applying here. A couple marks openly divulged may not be held against an applicant. Omissions found during the process will terminate it immediately.

When the opening closes, an HR assistant will call you if your selected and set up a pre-interview with you. They will ask that you set an appointment to be parked and in a safe location as the interview/test will take about 45-60 minutes.

The first Test/Interview (it is both and your answers are checked against a personality profile criteria) will ask a series of questions starting with a review of your application information. Years driving, miles per year, reasons for leaving past employers........then they get into questions about why you should follow HOS, DOT regs......finally a couple trip planning questions, and some problem solving questions. Eg if you arrive at shipper and product not ready, person cuts you off in traffic and starts trying to ram you etc etc etc . You will be asked to describe the last time you encountered a series of problems and what your actions were.

All of those answers are then graded or evaluated.I really felt that there was more than one person listening though I only heard and spoke to David. Certain pauses where he would ask I hold on and the line went quiet and he would come back with a question or request for clarification on an answer I had given. If you pass he will tell you the HR manager for your selected DC will be calling to set up an in person interview, driving test with you.

When you go for the second interview driving test it may vary what order things are done in based on management schedules and how each DC operates. They are not all cookie cutter as you would think. GTM's and GOM's are given wide latitude as to how they operate. I interviewed in Hopkinsville Ky so this is how mine went.

I met with Barbara the HR Manager and we again reviewed my application(quickly) and she explained what we were going to be doing that day. If everything goes well this will be a most of the day affair. First a meeting with her, then our GTM Jack and I talked for about 15 minutes. He outlined what his expectations were (uniform, conduct, respect for everyone, attendance) and just some general getting to know me questions. He reloads his own ammo so we spent over the normal time just talking about ammo, rifles, hunting, the area etc etc. It does not feel like an interview but everything you do in the beginning is.

Then Marty the CSAP (Safety Manager. Everything in WalMart has a code) came in and we talked for about 10 minutes about regs, road conditions etc etc. Then we did a inspection driving test. The pre-trip inspection test is huge here. I have seen 4 candidates sent home for it. They take it very very seriously here. Tell the examiner exactly what you are doing and looking for. DON"T FORGET TO CHECK FOR YOUR PERMIT BOOK!

If you pass that you will then do a driving test to a store, back into docks etc etc etc. If you have the experience to apply here you can pass this easy.

After that you will be handed back to Barbara. And if everything has gone well she will make a conditional offer for employment. She will have scheduled a physical and drug test for that day, and the offer is conditional upon you passing the drug screen, getting at least a one year med card and passing the Wal-Mart vetting team in Bentonville, AR.

I should note that if you have to travel far for this Wal-Mart will put you up in a motel the night before if you tell them you are going to get there the night before. This may be subject to change but I saw them do this for a lady who drove from Texas for her interview.

After your drug screen and physical (hopefully you passed) you go back to Barbara and give her you paperwork, and she told me as soon as Bentonville vetted me I could be scheduled for orientation. They only start new hires at the beginning of the pay period. This is to start establishing your ADP(average days pay) which is used to pay you for any non-driving work you perform, vacation days, sick days, short term disability etc etc. You may have to do orientation at another DC depending on several factors. It will be one week long and you get a motel, with a roomate, and only the lunch on Friday is always provided. Though when I did mine in Grove City they had BBQ two days, and Burgers a third. Wal Mart loves to feed their guys as a reward. Orientation is pretty standard stuff.

When you get back you will be given a Mentor to ride with. The length depends on you, and how fast you get the operations of OBC, ETA's, backhuals, etc. You will be in a motel every night you are with the mentor. You will start on their "out day". Drivers that are full time have a set day to start their week. Some are Tuesday out, Thursday out etc.

You will probably be hired as an extra. You will be driving different trucks. Jack looked me in the eye and said "Straight talk. You are 5-7 years from having your own assigned tractor here". They are assigned based on length of service. Most of the guys in Hoptown start at 10 years and go up from there. So gonna be awhile. As an extra you may be in one truck all week, or a couple. You fill in days off, vacations, guys out.....

Now there are programs. We have a 6 on 2 off that is 4 drivers sharing 3 trucks. I am on this schedule and I like it. We have a 5 on 5 off but you do not accrue vacation time on that one. We have a 5 on 2 off 5 on 3 off that has 3 drivers in two trucks. Programs at your chosen dc may vary. Some offer a 6 on 3 off, 6 on 6 off etc etc. The advantage is you are always in a program truck so you know the equipment even if it is rotating, and you are never waiting for a truck assignment.

Benefits and pay.

Medical, Dental, Eye all reasonable. Three different plans with several options so you would really have to choose you own.

Mine costs $123 every two weeks with $500 k in life on my wife and I, $250 k for every kid, long term disability, terminal etc etc . They also have programs with cancer centers, heart centers, surgery centers (carpal tunnel hip replacement) but they will better explain that in orientation. Short term disability is paid for by the company and covers the first 90 days at ADP.

Pay is hub mile off OBC (QCom) plus activity. I started Oct 19th and to date have grossed 12.5 k up to Dec 12th. You earn safety days, sick days, personal days every quarter that are paid on ADP.

Money is really decent.

Now there are rules.

Uniform. You will wear it and be tucked in, clean etc etc. Now if your in one of our Polos or specialty shirts they can be untucked but your appearance must pass muster.

Phone use. While on drive line 6 10 minute phone calls a day. The only time they will check that is if you are involved in a report (incident or accident). You must provide your phone records for the 48 hours prior to the event to be returned to work.

All events are reviewed by three drivers and the safety manager to determine fault. Accountability is determined by them (consequences) but can be appealed up the COC up to Bentonville. From my limited time drivers are harder on drivers than safety. We have 2+ million safe mile guys that hold a pretty high standard.

Attendance. You will only get a couple of missed out days before being held accountable. Setting it up the week before if you need to do something does not count against you. Communication is the key here. If they think your going to be in the truck your first round or two is loaded before you get there and when you do not show up they have to move everything around.

Trucks are assigned to stores at 1600-1800-2000 depending on volume and such. Scheduling is vital so the store can unload correctly and get product on the sales floor.

One last note. Murphy told us in orientation "You are not working for a trucking company. Our only mission is to support the stores. Get that straight we will do whatever the stores need to get product into the customers hands".

Now what that means for us is if Coke has a trailer in the managers way your going to move it. If he requests you line up his storage trailers in alphabetical order front to back in the TLE drive way. You say "Yes Sir" and start your UT clock (unscheduled time that you get paid for) and let OPs know what you are doing and why then start lining them up as requested. But most store folks try and work with us. Never show your frustration to the store. A you are getting paid if you get held up, B there is a system for addressing problems at stores. Tearing into a CSM at a store will get you a step (write up). Three steps your gone. That simple. This is a business environment, professional conduct is mandatory.

Well good luck if you decide to try for it. And if you get on and roll through Hoptown wave a hand. With all five fingers!

It’s not propaganda if it’s true.

My first 12 month year my gross was $100,348.

Many guys do better. Most don’t work quite that hard.
Do they give raises or that’s it ???
What about bonuses??

Do they give raises or that’s it ???
What about bonuses??

Yearly raises go one of two ways I’ve seen so far.

The first time was .01 cpm across the board.

This year this did some weird 1% of all your total earnings for the last year paid out across severa checks.

That YTD Gross amount I posted was all bonuses and everything.

Safety bonus is paid out quarterly. My smallest so far has been about 700, with the largest being 1198.00.

Which made my eye twitch because it was not an even 1200...

Things might be a little different on Planet California because of labor laws but here’s the basics for those of us on Earth.

.46 cpm

.06 cpm Saturday and Sunday (must drive both days to get the bonus)

Arrive - 9.50 (.25 is banked and paid out with safety bonus)

Hook - 8.50

Anything over 45 minutes pays “Unscheduled time” or UT, - 14.00/ hour.

Live load and unload pay 11.50 per stop.

Layover pay is 42.00 for sleeping in the truck.

Scheduled time (mandatory meetings here and there) pays “schedules time” which it’s 1/10th of your ADP. So for me that’s about 37.94 an hour. It doesn’t happen often.

You are NOT ALLOWED To touch freight. If you’re in a trailer and something falls on your foot and you go out on comp, you’re going to either get a “step” or be outright fired.

You will work weekends for the foreseeable future.

They advertise potentially 21 earned extra days off per year, I earned 20 last year so this is possible. I forget how many I cashed out at years end (you can only carry ten days into the next year) but that payout was pretty nice too.

Scheduling extra time off is difficult for the first year. Pretty much commit yourself to working full weeks the whole time.

Bid for days off at the annual request time the second year. I’m going to communist Seattle later this month and scheduling this time was no problem at all at the start of the year.

You will slip seat. Most of the time I get a truck for my full work week. It’s pretty rare I have to hop trucks mid week. It’s not as bad as it’s made to sound.

Most trucks are cleaner than anyplace else you’ll find. If not, turn the truck down and get another one. Do this enough and management will crack down.

You can expect to run most of a full 70 in 5 days. It’s A LOT of tiny little short haul trips that eat a lot of line 4 time.

Last year I did a bunch of voluntary work week extensions because I’m crazy. It’s pays well to do this.

That’s about it.

Last edited:
Yearly raises go one of two ways I’ve seen so far.

The first time was .01 cpm across the board.

This year this did some weird 1% of all your total earnings for the last year paid out across severa checks.

That YTD Gross amount I posted was all bonuses and everything.

Safety bonus is paid out quarterly. My smallest so far has been about 700, with the largest being 1198.00.

Which made my eye twitch because it was not an even 1200...

Things might be a little different on Planet California because of labor laws but here’s the basics for those of us on Earth.

.46 cpm

.06 cpm Saturday and Sunday (must drive both days to get the bonus)

Arrive - 9.50 (.25 is banked and paid out with safety bonus)

Hook - 8.50

Anything over 45 minutes pays “Unscheduled time” or UT, - 14.00/ hour.

Live load and unload pay 11.50 per stop.

Layover pay is 42.00 for sleeping in the truck.

Scheduled time (mandatory meetings here and there) pays “schedules time” which it’s 1/10th of your ADP. So for me that’s about 37.94 an hour. It doesn’t happen often.

You are NOT ALLOWED To touch freight. If you’re in a trailer and something falls on your foot and you go out on comp, you’re going to either get a “step” or be outright fired.

You will work weekends for the foreseeable future.

They advertise potentially 21 earned extra days off per year, I earned 20 last year so this is possible. I forget how many I cashed out at years end (you can only carry ten days into the next year) but that payout was pretty nice too.

Scheduling extra time off is difficult for the first year. Pretty much commit yourself to working full weeks the whole time.

Bid for days off at the annual request time the second year. I’m going to communist Seattle later this month and scheduling this time was no problem at all at the start of the year.

You will slip seat. Most of the time I get a truck for my full work week. It’s pretty rare I have to hop trucks mid week. It’s not as bad as it’s made to sound.

Most trucks are cleaner than anyplace else you’ll find. If not, turn the truck down and get another one. Do this enough and management will crack down.

You can expect to run most of a full 70 in 5 days. It’s A LOT of tiny little short haul trips that eat a lot of line 4 time.

Last year I did a bunch of voluntary work week extensions because I’m crazy. It’s pays well to do this.

That’s about it.
That doesn’t sound bad at all well I hope I pass the dot exam this Monday thank for the info

Just had a question....I drove for walmart back in 2012 out of grantsville, utah, I liked it but I was on the 5/2 but never got 2 days off in 6 months I was there, grantsville at that time had alot of turmoil with the tm there and alot of drivers quit cause of him, even my mentor did with 15 years with walmart, i did hear he was transferred and they have openings again and was wondering if I even have a chance at coming back....25 years now and still a clean record

Just had a question....I drove for walmart back in 2012 out of grantsville, utah, I liked it but I was on the 5/2 but never got 2 days off in 6 months I was there, grantsville at that time had alot of turmoil with the tm there and alot of drivers quit cause of him, even my mentor did with 15 years with walmart, i did hear he was transferred and they have openings again and was wondering if I even have a chance at coming back....25 years now and still a clean record

I’m sure they would take you back.

Falling just short of actually admitting their mistakes from earlier this year they’re even “inviting back those senior drivers who left the fleet...”

Hahahahaha...

I’d heard about that years back having to call in on your days off and such.

Doesn’t happen. At least it hasn’t happened to me.

Well I submitted my app and we'll see....only thing I'll need training on is things that have changed....that TM was horrible, I started in July and by December we was all still on mandatory exstension and it just got ridiculous....I live 150 miles away from DC and to only get 1 day off wasn't good, they lost alot of drivers

Hello all,
Is anyone here out of the Lewiston, Maine DC?
I'm right in the middle of my first day of orientation here in Bentonville. This is quite serious business. So far, I've successfully gotten through the backing exam today.

Hello all,
I'm right in the middle of my first day of orientation here in Bentonville. This is quite serious business. So far, I've successfully gotten through the backing exam today.

I’ve heard a bit here and there about the new orientation thing.

I’m glad I got on when I did where I had it at my own DC and it was pretty laid back.

No hooting and hollering Wal-Mart cheer stuff at all...

Good morning.

Today, I begin my second day of orientation and find, no matter how "prepared" I think I am or think I was, find this week is becoming a very sobering experience. I started driving in '79, took a 15-year break for a new career as a USCG-licensed mate aboard ocean-going ships. I've been back in the trucking industry since 2015. All in all I've got the miles most would have during the same time period but also all of the bad habits starting with using 3 points of contact when entering and exiting the cab. I fully understand the reasoning behind this policy including the safety aspect. It is one of the first things you do during your driving shift and if you make the conscious effort of safety, you may follow through all day accordingly. It's safe, professional and we are getting paid very well.

The "hooting and hollering" may seem silly but that 6-digit paycheck and the respectability sure is serious. hope I make it in.

Hello all,
Been in and out of that DC a lot as an OTR contractor if that helps. They service stores in upper New England. Hope you like snow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread