W900l gauges

BluntedElvis

Its a chrome thang
So I have a 2009 W9L with all the gauges backlit white I want to change the color to either blue or red. Now I'm a pretty much hands on guy and not afraid to tackle the job my self just wondering if anyone here has any pics of what it may look like and if you have done this job and how long it took you to do. Thanks for your input and looking forward to seeing some cool pics

If you can get a decent picture of your dash, taken at night with the dash lights on, (see if camera has night mode, .. and practice holding the camera still for a slow exposure) and post it here, a decent size picture too, I'll see what I can do with Photoshop.

If you have a pic to post, when you post it, type "[MENTION=7569]Rubber Duck[/MENTION]" so I'll get a notification. Otherwise it could take me 24 hours to find it.

Thanks Rubber Duck. I think I may have some pics of my dash, if not I'll have to wait till tonight to snap some fresh ones.

You do NOT want blue. Blue is not good...it looks 'cool' but tough on the eyes and actually a depressing color.
Red is nice, but it can tend to wash out any red needles in gauges.

The best color (overall) is Amber. My rig is much older so I dont know what the lighting requirements are, but I changed
over my entire dash to Amber. It was red before then and had to see many of the gauge needles.

I just spoke to my father about this, We have a 2007 and a 2012 and the gauges are the same.. The light is sealed inside the gauge. He is not sure if you will be able to do that.

You do NOT want blue. Blue is not good...it looks 'cool' but tough on the eyes and actually a depressing color.
Red is nice, but it can tend to wash out any red needles in gauges.

The best color (overall) is Amber. My rig is much older so I dont know what the lighting requirements are, but I changed
over my entire dash to Amber. It was red before then and had to see many of the gauge needles.

Yeah my needles are red, so I'm leaning more towards blue I guess red would be out of the question, unless I was able to change the needle color which I'm guessing I might as well just get new aftermarket gauges "which I haven't seen yet".

I just spoke to my father about this, We have a 2007 and a 2012 and the gauges are the same.. The light is sealed inside the gauge. He is not sure if you will be able to do that.

Well that sucks the big LC quando. Well how can that be I've seen trucks like mine dipping down the road with blue gauges, those nitwitts at Carlise on ICE ROAD TRUCKERS have blue gauges. If that's true that's RETARDED what if a light burns out, your telling me I have to buy a new $129 gauge just cause a light goes out.

I'm not sure about the KW's but my Pete's dash lights are LED's built into the gauges. I would say replacing these new style digital gauges would be pricey.

Well that sucks the big LC quando. Well how can that be I've seen trucks like mine dipping down the road with blue gauges, those nitwitts at Carlise on ICE ROAD TRUCKERS have blue gauges. If that's true that's RETARDED what if a light burns out, your telling me I have to buy a new $129 gauge just cause a light goes out.

Instrument panels are being illuminated with LED lights more and more these days. That way they don't burn out like incandescent. But if the connection in the circuit board fails then the light goes out. And the only way to "fix" it is to replace the assembly. Sucks, I know.

I have seen other colors on newer rigs too, and wonder how they are doing it. One way may be to cut the gauge assembly open and use colored filter gels that professional photographers use as color filters on lenses.

Instrument panels are being illuminated with LED lights more and more these days. That way they don't burn out like incandescent. But if the connection in the circuit board fails then the light goes out. And the only way to "fix" it is to replace the assembly. Sucks, I know.

I have seen other colors on newer rigs too, and wonder how they are doing it. One way may be to cut the gauge assembly open and use colored filter gels that professional photographers use as color filters on lenses.

They just go to the Super Truckers Chrome Bells & Whistles shop and lay their credit card on the counter and say "gimme gimme gimme"

Quak, quak, quak.

duckcd.jpg

You were outside my house and didn't even get out and knock on the door? Shame on you. Next time bring some beer and stay a few minutes.

Not sure how it works in the KW dash, but in my Peterbilt, you can remove each bulb, slip a red cover over them, then reinsert them. One for every gauge. They fit over the bulbs like condoms, lol.

Did some research "aka calling Kenworth/via going their in person with truck and explaining what the hell I want, I swear they are about as useless as a 2 dollar bill on the phone" and found out YES it can be done as a simple led replacements. So on to the dreaded task of removing 18 gauges and swapping out lights. Stay tuned for before and after pics.

BluntedElvis said:
Did some research "aka calling Kenworth/via going their in person with truck and explaining what the hell I want, I swear they are about as useless as a 2 dollar bill on the phone" and found out YES it can be done as a simple led replacements. So on to the dreaded task of removing 18 gauges and swapping out lights. Stay tuned for before and after pics.

I put purple leds in my T-600 dash and could not see them in the dark. I've got 22 of them I will make you a killer deal on. I don't know if the newer gauges are different but they don't work very well in the old style analog gauges.

So did u ever do the dash lights cause I want to turn mine green and I was wondering how hard it is

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread