Volvo ordered to pay $4.8 million to Canadian couple after terrifying crash

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
By Greg Grisolano, Land Line associate editor

A Canadian court has awarded more than $4.8 million to a husband-and-wife trucking team after finding in the couple’s favor that truck maker Volvo’s negligence contributed to their 2009 crash.

The judgment from British Columbia Supreme Court Justice Barry Davies was published on June 23. It awards plaintiffs Amandeep Hans and his wife, Pavandeep, of Surrey, B.C., more than $4.86 million for the harm the couple suffered in their Jan. 31, 2009, crash on the Trans-Canada Highway in Manitoba. The province also sued Volvo and was awarded nearly $200,000 to cover medical costs.

- See more at: Volvo ordered to pay $4.8 million to Canadian couple after terrifying crash

Power steering in Volvos is electric based?
:dunno:

My guess is the ECM lost power, which killed the engine, and he stepped on the clutch or something which allowed the engine to stop, causing a loss of power steering.

But I don't know how a loss of power steering could cause him to lose control unless he had toothpick arms like an anorexic teenage girl. In 2004 drove a Roadway truck from St Paul to Milwaukee with it's power steering not working. It wasn't that hard.

When I had a problem with my oil pressure sensor, the engine would cut out. I'd coast to the shoulder and the steering wouldn't be hard until almost a stop.

For what it's worth, Volvo paid out for "PTSD."

The world is filled with pansies.
Yeah, but pansyness is obviously worth big bucks! Evidently, the suck-it-up-buttercup, strong work ethic programming we received at the factory was flawed.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
People use to take pride in building and production skills.....Then mass productions hit and the big rollers of this world got greedy.....End result it comes home to roost.....Too the tune of $4.8 million Govn way too busy making laws that hurts the working man....and rolling out a velvet carpet for unsafe trucks. If any of you ever been a factory worker you know where I coming from....Thanks!

I drive a Volvo and have had this happen, its no big deal. If anyone has had a battery cable break or disconnect, you would get the same result as in this situation.

Plain and simple, he panicked.

Court records indicate Amandeep Hans screamed “What happened? What happened?” and then “We are going to die … we are going to die,” as the trailer began to sway uncontrollably and jackknifed on the highway. The trailer came fully around and struck the cab just behind the driver’s door, forcing the truck off the road and into a ditch where it came to rest on the passenger side - See more at: Volvo ordered to pay $4.8 million to Canadian couple after terrifying crash

Total incompetence on the part of the driver. What a dumb ass.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread