Volvo beeper for following to close

For doing 45 in a 60 up a 7% grade.

Good one.

Considering fault was put on a car crossing left of center and speeding.
So, you were driving slower than a Prime guy, and still got in an accident? WOW!

:eek:

I've really trying not to block people.
Same here. I see no reason to blow down the highway faster than I need to. On a load that requires me to run 65 to make the schedule, then that's what's required. On a load that doesn't, I'll run a bit slower to keep my fuel costs down. In heavy traffic, I'll bump it up, but don't expect me to blast by the speed limit because y'all don't know how to drive a truck safely.

I see absolutely no reason to drive any faster than necessary. Higher speed burns more fuel, causes greater wear mechanically, the higher vibration levels cause more wear on wiring, and increases tire wear rate. All of this increases your maintenance costs.

BTW, @mndriver - just bustin' your chops. That accident was totally the other guys fault.

Last edited:
every time I read one of these threads I just picture the people sitting at a truck stop counter talking then I realize why all the stupid answer's to this mans comments. LOL
IT ALL MAKES SENSE when you just imagine the people who comment in real life. HAHHAH

Same here. I see no reason to blow down the highway faster than I need to. On a load that requires me to run 65 to make the schedule, then that's what's required. On a load that doesn't, I'll run a bit slower to keep my fuel costs down. In heavy traffic, I'll bump it up, but don't expect me to blast by the speed limit because y'all don't know how to drive a truck safely.

I see absolutely no reason to drive any faster than necessary. Higher speed burns more fuel, causes greater wear mechanically, the higher vibration levels cause more wear on wiring, and increases tire wear rate. All of this increases your maintenance costs.

BTW, @mndriver - just bustin' your chops. That accident was totally the other guys fault.
As a company driver, all that maintenance is corporate’s problem. And they don't seem to care because the more loads we can run, the more they make exponentially.

We more than make up the fuel & wear difference when we hustle. If we didn't, we wouldn't get performance bonuses.

They still govern us at 64.999999 though.

Have the CMS in both my trucks. Hardly ever notice it unless like @Injun said it starts mirroring some pos Swifty, Punkin, or Prime wanting to lollygag around all damn day:stirpot2:

O/P back off. You will not hear beeping unless you are way to close to the vehicle in front of you, or your gaining on a slower vehicle and are inside of your braking distance for that speed.
Ours is pretty conservative. It even beeps at me when I'm creeping up to someone at a stop light.

Could be because it's older though too. It's the 2013 era Bendix. Not particularly refined.

As a company driver, all that maintenance is corporate’s problem. And they don't seem to care because the more loads we can run, the more they make exponentially.

Its a linear relationship. Your company's deal is that they have vastly higher maintenance and operations costs simply because company drivers don't give a crap about how much damage they cause, sloppy pretrip inspections leading to increased road breakdowns and outrageous fuel costs. They're throwing parties if they can make a nickle on the dollar off of you guys.

We more than make up the fuel & wear difference when we hustle. If we didn't, we wouldn't get performance bonuses.

Wrong. You drive the trucks harder... that's all. It just drives up the maintenance costs, leading to lower profit per mile. Hustle just means you're taking more chances for nothing at all - except increasing your own risk. Performance bonuses are only paid to cut down on driver churn.

They still govern us at 64.999999 though.

Of course. Your insurance carrier demanded it to offset higher accident rates.

Usually but not always. City traffic isn't something you can just set the cruise and chill in, even when it's flowing.

Taking chances by tailgating, speeding and unsafe driving just increased your odds of being involved in an accident.

Its a linear relationship. Your company's deal is that they have vastly higher maintenance and operations costs simply because company drivers don't give a crap about how much damage they cause, sloppy pretrip inspections leading to increased road breakdowns and outrageous fuel costs. They're throwing parties if they can make a nickle on the dollar off of you guys.

Wrong. You drive the trucks harder... that's all. It just drives up the maintenance costs, leading to lower profit per mile. Hustle just means you're taking more chances for nothing at all - except increasing your own risk. Performance bonuses are only paid to cut down on driver churn.

Of course. Your insurance carrier demanded it to offset higher accident rates.

Taking chances by tailgating, speeding and unsafe driving just increased your odds of being involved in an accident.
Our insurance demanded it because the company hires newbs.

And yeah as a whole our company does have a lot of torn up trucks. Mostly from newbies doing stupid stuff...bumpers and fairings mostly. Don't see too many getting destroyed.

On an elog, hustle does matter. The more you do, the more hours available for the next load. It's hard to fathom when you have three days to get a load off but ours are planned tighter than that. Hustling can get you two loads in the day. Or maybe even a third. Or it can help your 70 so you can work that extra day instead of having to take off for a reset.

Our insurance demanded it because the company hires newbs.

And yeah as a whole our company does have a lot of torn up trucks. Mostly from newbies doing stupid stuff...bumpers and fairings mostly. Don't see too many getting destroyed.

On an elog, hustle does matter. The more you do, the more hours available for the next load. It's hard to fathom when you have three days to get a load off but ours are planned tighter than that. Hustling can get you two loads in the day. Or maybe even a third. Or it can help your 70 so you can work that extra day instead of having to take off for a reset.
i know how it was to hustle when i was faster, younger, stronger...

What bothers me most, other than chasing empties, is when I'm planned so tight I can't even stop to pee before I get to the customer. Hate that. Doesn't happen all the time, but definitely enough.

......Perhaps you're one of the reasons we're being stuck with these gizmos and gadgets, huh?

NOPE.

These gizmos and gadgets are here and multiplying like gremlins in the dark so that one day soon, you won't have to sit in that truck.

When that day arrives, you will be either unemployed or employed elsewhere.

many times I've kicked the dashboard hoping I break the damn beep or bell or whistle or what not.

incessant beeping is insanity or will make a driver insane.
Funny that the only thing a person has to do to shut the following-too-close beeper up is... back the **** off. Lot simpler and safer than kicking the shit out of your dash while you're following too close, don't ya think?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread