Vehicles.

Sinister

pari animositate
Off road, 4 wheel drive is going to be preferable, but since gasoline will be scarce, I'd think smaller 4wd, or AWD vehicles would be good.

Also, moving people would be necessary.

Large pickups will be plentiful with the tons and tons of 4 door pickups running around, but again, fuel will be scarce.

Oddly enough, a vehicle that has caught my eye lately is reminiscent of the 70s and 80s Subaru Brat.

Subaru Baja - Wikipedia

Four passenger, small cargo area, 4WD, small engine, could be used very quietly...

I've been wanting to build a steam engine for years but the only plans I've seen on the internet are for small things, demonstration toys for science fairs.

I found plans for a 50 hp steam turbine but it requires machining beyond the ability of a typical redneck like me, and uses HUGE amounts of fuel.

Coal too. I'd want one that runs on wood.

Saw a couple guys running a gas engine off wood gasification. I'll see if I can find it.

Probably should have kept my old f250. 6.9 and it would run off almost anything.

pretty inefficient in the use of fuel

What fuels can it use? What can it carry? How often am I actually going to need to move via vehicle? How far can I move on foot, carrying how much, in what time?

A deuce and a half, specifically an A2, brings some things to the table that nothing else can, provided you know how to run it.

What fuels can it use? What can it carry? How often am I actually going to need to move via vehicle? How far can I move on foot, carrying how much, in what time?

A deuce and a half, specifically an A2, brings some things to the table that nothing else can, provided you know how to run it.

They multifuel aspect is great, especially since fuels on these can be mixed in the tanks.

But, how plentiful are these trucks? Are they easily accessible of SHTF next week?

It's important to stay practical, I think.

They multifuel aspect is great, especially since fuels on these can be mixed in the tanks.

But, how plentiful are these trucks? Are they easily accessible of SHTF next week?

It's important to stay practical, I think.

They are pretty common if you know where to look.

If you have know where to look, are they really that common?
Common enough to get one now. Movement, in my eyes, is based off of the go/nogo decision if the current area is tenable to remain in. Anything that makes me have to abandon my home is a serious event, and the additional resilience and carrying capacity of a deuce and a half outweighs arguments. I need to move 3+ people reliably, with a cross country offroad component, with all of our supplies, and a significantly variable fuel avsilability scenario.

The way I see things is that Events either are a temporary situation, where evacuation is needed to protect life and property temporarily, or a permanent situstion requiring evacuation due to total unviability of the area. In either of those cases it works well, unless you own your own equipment as a trucker... then, just load up the truck and possibly trailer and run. Either way, liquid fuels are a very limited and time/money consuming commodity.

The 89 quake shut the entire santa crux county off from the rest of the state of california for about a week. Fuel was at a premium, rationed by stations due to no resupply until the highway slides were cleared, and even then a challenge to get as power was out for the majority of the area. The few stations that did open, ran of genset trailers for only a few pumps. You were better off not burning fuel and just staying in position, living off supplies, until life went back to normal.

Counterpoint, wildfire. This, you know it is coming and the propensity of a total loss event. Prior planning and the space to carry stuff means you can protect your belongings by loading and running, only returning when safe to tally the damage to your real estate. The affected area can be large, and the further you can get, the safer and less hectic things will be. Same with hurricane evac... everything close will fill up quick, the more distance you can put the better since finding a rv park or just any location to hunker down will be easier. Most people won't make a long push so pickings of places to spend the event duration increase significantly the further you can go.

A deuce is also a fun rig to have anyway.

I honestly doubt I will buy one once I have my own truck/trailer, though. More apt to buy/haveinstalled a pintle hitch on the truck and trailer, and small stepdeck + dolly or a heavy equipment trailer to be able to rock some rocky mountain doubles with flat deck capacity for permanent evac. I can make use of either for normal noncommercial utility, anyway.

If/when SHTF any vehicle without official markings will be conspicuous.
A trail bike or quad runner would probably be the most useful but the noise would be very conspicuous in absence of other traffic.

The best thing might be to know train schedules.
A metal ground from rail to rail indicates a problem to the engineer and causes a train to slow or stop.
I only learned of this several years ago from a couple of old timers who carry a pair of magnets on either end of a welding cable just in case they ever high-centered across a set of tracks.

A buddy of mine tried to get me to take a weekend years ago to ride freights to Chicago and back.
I told him he was nuts but it might not be a bad skill to learn.

Rail yards are a total custer **** and would definitely be exponentially worse if the authorities are trying to move goods at an increased rate. Knowing when and where to bail/reembark might be extremely useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Common enough to get one now. Movement, in my eyes, is based off of the go/nogo decision if the current area is tenable to remain in. Anything that makes me have to abandon my home is a serious event, and the additional resilience and carrying capacity of a deuce and a half outweighs arguments. I need to move 3+ people reliably, with a cross country offroad component, with all of our supplies, and a significantly variable fuel avsilability scenario.

The way I see things is that Events either are a temporary situation, where evacuation is needed to protect life and property temporarily, or a permanent situstion requiring evacuation due to total unviability of the area. In either of those cases it works well, unless you own your own equipment as a trucker... then, just load up the truck and possibly trailer and run. Either way, liquid fuels are a very limited and time/money consuming commodity.

The 89 quake shut the entire santa crux county off from the rest of the state of california for about a week. Fuel was at a premium, rationed by stations due to no resupply until the highway slides were cleared, and even then a challenge to get as power was out for the majority of the area. The few stations that did open, ran of genset trailers for only a few pumps. You were better off not burning fuel and just staying in position, living off supplies, until life went back to normal.

Counterpoint, wildfire. This, you know it is coming and the propensity of a total loss event. Prior planning and the space to carry stuff means you can protect your belongings by loading and running, only returning when safe to tally the damage to your real estate. The affected area can be large, and the further you can get, the safer and less hectic things will be. Same with hurricane evac... everything close will fill up quick, the more distance you can put the better since finding a rv park or just any location to hunker down will be easier. Most people won't make a long push so pickings of places to spend the event duration increase significantly the further you can go.

A deuce is also a fun rig to have anyway.

I honestly doubt I will buy one once I have my own truck/trailer, though. More apt to buy/haveinstalled a pintle hitch on the truck and trailer, and small stepdeck + dolly or a heavy equipment trailer to be able to rock some rocky mountain doubles with flat deck capacity for permanent evac. I can make use of either for normal noncommercial utility, anyway.

All very valid, considering preparation.

However I have no plans of purchasing a truck this large in advance so I was thinking in terms of scavenging after an event.

A metal ground from rail to rail indicates a problem to the engineer and causes a train to slow or stop.
I only learned of this several years ago from a couple of old timers who carry a pair of magnets on either end of a welding cable just in case they ever high-centered across a set of tracks.
Huh? :confused-96:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread