Used Truck Purchase

cmcglory

I was an owner operator 20 years ago, did real good for the 5 years I was in the business. An opp in construction, that I could not turn down came alone so I sold the Pete. I've been retired now for 2 years and I'm starting to smell diesel , :) you old timers know what I'm talking about.

My question in what do I need to look for when evaluating a used truck. I've start a few and let them idle until the engine got hot, checked for oil leeks, streering linkage, brakes and so on but I have no clue as to what the gages should be reading or what else I should check. Thanks in advance guys and gals for any help you can provide.

There are so many things to look for. Being a mechanic I look at things differently than alot of other people. But maintenance records are federally mandated to be kept, and asking for a dyno evaluation is pretty much standard.

With the newer trucks, you can also download things like "average fuel mileage" from the computer, which is very important with today's fuel prices. Getting information like this, as well as what TJGoSurf said, will give you a good indication of what you are getting yourself into with a used truck.

Watchout buying trucks from large fleets that have been used as "trainer trucks". The company I work for actually did this a while back and have had nothing but headaches with the trucks.

There are so many things to look for. Being a mechanic I look at things differently than alot of other people. But maintenance records are federally mandated to be kept, and asking for a dyno evaluation is pretty much standard.

They are required for the owner and they company you may be leased to. They are not required to be left with the truck when it is sold.

They are required for the owner and they company you may be leased to. They are not required to be left with the truck when it is sold.

Yes, but if an owner isn't willing to make this available, I don't think I would be willing to purchase the truck from them.

Yes, but if an owner isn't willing to make this available, I don't think I would be willing to purchase the truck from them.

Agreed, if they are unwilling to part with the records, you should be unwilling to part with the money.

You just cannot trust so many people now days, used to be you could trust a mans/womans word. Not without legal papers can get screwed and people say it is your fault for trusting people. What is the world coming to nowdays?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread