UPDATE: States taking steps to combat human trafficking

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
States across the country are making inroads to curb human trafficking. Some states detail help from professional drivers.

Sex trafficking is described as one of the fastest growing criminal enterprises in the world generating more than $32 billion annually. It’s estimated that more than 20 million people are being trafficked world-wide. In the U.S., victims are commonly transported along the interstate highway system.

full story

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
a truckers livelihood should NOT be dependent on this type of training.

If you are going to make it a license requirement, do it across the board.

I see lawsuits coming over this one.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
No issues on that part one bit.

But YOUR ability to function at your job and the need for a license should not be dependent on that fact.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
No issues on that part one bit.

But YOUR ability to function at your job and the need for a license should not be dependent on that fact.
You're going hardcore, full throttle libertarian on this. ;)

You're right, it shouldn't be required.... but I won't complain too loudly if they make it a law in Illinois too.

An online course, a 1 hour thing, is nothing if it brings more of these kids home to their parents.

It's our job as human beings to protect children.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
So a travelling sales man is going to be made to take the same course? They are out here doing the same job we are. Driving down the road.

The excuse you gave is the biggest sob story I have ever heard......

"It's for the kids........"

Cry me a river smokie.......

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Look at it from the perspective of the 12 year old girls who are kidnapped and forced to suck off big old fat, unshowered, stinky, farting Werner trainer types all day long, every day while being beaten and starved.

All this is likely to amount to is a few extra questions on the written test at the DMV.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Like truckers are the only ones who are around trafficking.

What's next.

We have to take a test to learn how to look for truants too?

Or parental alienation?

Incremental steps like this lead to the restrictions.

What does this truly have to do with driving a truck?.

Otherwise just right now. Agree to disagree with me on this one.

I'm just tired of being everyone's red headed step child.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Otherwise just right now. Agree to disagree with me on this one.
Can't, because I already said I agree with you.

I just think we should pick our battles. When they're busy cramming bullshit like EOBRs, speed limiters and crippling emissions controls on us, why focus on something that's actually for once, capable of doing something positive?
I'm just tired of being everyone's red headed step child.
Dye your hair some other color. :D

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
I don't consider it helping the state so much as helping a child who is a captive, forced to sell her body or be beat up or killed.
what's that other thing they wanted us to be a part of, something about watching out for terrorists..??

that too is a voluntary thing, which i went and read up on, and got a pretty little ID card saying i am some sort of highway terrorist watcher...

i think after a VERY short time, i threw that card, in my circular file....

(i did it cause i was a teacher at the time, and i was "setting an example" for my students...)

but yes, to save a child or young adult, but still, why burden US with that, when all other drivers go freely about thier ways..???

seems the gooberment wants too much from us for free, but takes things away from us, just as freely.

this one here...anyone remember this fiasco..???

Highway Watch Going Out of Business | TruckerToTrucker.com

"The program is supposed to train truck drivers as well as other transportation professionals, to recognize potential safety and security threats. It was established in response to the terrorist attacks on the United States in 2001. The State of Georgia requires this training prior to issuing a CDL. Probably others do too or will soon follow. "
leave us the hell alone......

Last edited:

Tazz

Infidel
I am still trying to figure out why it is only a CDL holder that needs this trainkng. Apparently everyone but us already knows trafficking is bad and how to prevent it but we are to simple to grasp the concept.

Already had the class back when Wally put the stickers on the trucks. Company deal so fine. The state requiring it solely for CDL holders is both and insult and illegal under equal protection.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Can't, because I already said I agree with you.

I just think we should pick our battles. When they're busy cramming bullshit like EOBRs, speed limiters and crippling emissions controls on us, why focus on something that's actually for once, capable of doing something positive?

Because even yielding on this topic, makes all those other topics that much easier.

"Well you did it for trafficking. This one is just like it. More positive effort."

And just leads to more.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
They look to us because we are in a unique position to come in contact with human trafficking. I don't see a lot of traveling salesmen procuring lot lizards at truck stops and people in cars can't see nearly the things we can.

On the one hand, I agree it shouldn't be a mandated program tied to a CDL. On the other hand, if one little girl gets freed from slavery (real, actual slavery, not the imagined conscription trucking companies are accused of), her life is worth an hour of my time.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Construction workers required to do this? There's a whole long list of other professions that come to mind and I forget to add here.

Travelling sale people are likely to use the same avenues of transportation we do. As well as to use hotels. Even MORE likely areas to host or assist with the trafficking market.

I haven't seen lizards in truckstops in years. Maybe it has to do with be much more selective about where I stop.

What about social media sites like Ashley Madison, plenty of fish, adultfriendfinder. Even the less notorious dating sites that don't market the free sex aspect of adulthood.

The argument is weak in my eyes because of so many more areas that are "obscure" but recognized for trafficking.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Construction workers required to do this? There's a whole long list of other professions that come to mind and I forget to add here.

Travelling sale people are likely to use the same avenues of transportation we do. As well as to use hotels. Even MORE likely areas to host or assist with the trafficking market.

I haven't seen lizards in truckstops in years. Maybe it has to do with be much more selective about where I stop.

What about social media sites like Ashley Madison, plenty of fish, adultfriendfinder. Even the less notorious dating sites that don't market the free sex aspect of adulthood.

The argument is weak in my eyes because of so many more areas that are "obscure" but recognized for trafficking.
there is even a website named...backpage.....where sex is sold by minors..and runaways...