Trucking News: Unpaid detention time negatively affects safety, survey shows

Mike

Results from a recent OOIDA Foundation survey found that many truck drivers believe unpaid detention time is an issue that affects safety as well as their finances.

The research arm of the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association surveyed more than 1,250 truckers about the period of time when a driver is not paid while waiting to be loaded or unloaded. The OOIDA Foundation released a one-pager on the topic in January.

“Many … felt that detention time not only impacted their financial livelihood but that it also negatively impacted safety on the roadways,” the OOIDA Foundation wrote. “As one member stated, ‘this is one of the biggest issues affecting hours of service and safety. Drivers encountering unexpected long detention, feel forced to drive faster, harder, and longer to make up for perceived lost time.”

According to the survey, 18 percent of drivers said they do not receive detention pay and only 29 percent said they receive it on all loads.

I don't think it's that high.

Getting stuck for a day at a DC waiting for some dock jockey to deal with your load has never been good.

Now that the ELD isn't allowing people to cover up that fact, people are realizing how much the trucker was being abused.

I don't think it's that high.

Getting stuck for a day at a DC waiting for some dock jockey to deal with your load has never been good.

Now that the ELD isn't allowing people to cover up that fact, people are realizing how much the trucker was being abused.
I bet it is pretty close. This survey is targeted to owner operators, and browsing Facebook you constantly see people raising hell about the fact they got held up, and the broker didn't offer to pay anything. People are still not getting this covered up front, and hoping the broker will be nice to them once things go south.

The benefit of dealing with the likes of 360, Uber, and Convoy. Detention is an automatic thing.

Don't think you will see it mainstream to be covered up front.

Shippers and receivers will get it off your truck when they are ready and no sooner.

Don't think you will see it mainstream to be covered up front.

Me neither. It will only happen when you get a load and demand it up front. Some brokers have a policy in place, many don't.

With JB Hunt, I am not sure how much they are willing to pay. I do get detention with them quite often though. I bill them on the invoice at $40/hr, they always pay without question. Convoy and Uber are automatic based on the times. They may request in and out times, but only if the shipper/receiver is willing.

If i am hauling anything food related, I find out about the detention policy immediately. I will never go to a grocery warehouse without detention in place.

If i am hauling anything food related, I find out about the detention policy immediately. I will never go to a grocery warehouse without detention in place.

Let me correct myself. I will never go to a grocery warehouse without detention in place, or with a rate high enough that it is covered up front.

I stopped getting an ulcer over detention. I learned who the offenders were and stopped hauling for them.

Someone else can take the abuse.

If I continue to haul their crap, then it's for a rate that makes detention irrelevant.

It's why I figure my rates how I do.

I'm not providing a service to cover miles. I provide a service against time.

I have 18 days or less a month to earn my income. Miles directly impact my bottom line sucking up funds for fuel and maintenance. Minimize miles and get my maximum Revenue as quickly as possible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread