Trucking Regulations: U.S. Rep. Sharice Davids introduces bill to increase women in trucking

Mike

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Legislation introduced by U.S. Rep. Sharice Davids is intended to promote more women in the trucking industry.

The bill by Davids, who represents Kansas' third congressional district, would require the establishment of a board that would focus on creating opportunities for women in trucking.

“Coming out of the pandemic, we’re seeing global supply chain breakdowns that are leading to rising costs and harmful shortages worldwide, from gas to groceries. The causes are complex, but one thing is clear: we’ve been dependent on materials made in other countries for far too long, and we haven’t been giving our transportation workforce and infrastructure the attention they need,” Representative Davids said in a statement. “That’s why I introduced a bill to encourage women to join the trucking industry."

The obstacles are white men over 55.

Duh.
That would be true if the industry was stockpiled with drivers, but we are supposedly 80k short on drivers, and according to these folks, about to see a 160k shortage.

That would be true if the industry was stockpiled with drivers, but we are supposedly 80k short on drivers, and according to these folks, about to see a 160k shortage.
I'm starting to think autonomous trucks are the answer.

That's going to be the push anyway.

Any woman who drives a truck willingly is inherently scary.
🤨

Why? What obstacles are out there that prevent women from entering this industry now?

@Injun get in here and womansplain this to us.
Aside feom the usual asshattery from other drivers, there really aren't actual barriers for women to drive. They just don't want to make the same sacrifices routinely demanded from men. That's the way I read it.

When they get these 80k drivers, we will still be short. But, we will have an 80k abundance of steering wheel holders. Male of female, some of these 'drivers?' out there today are downright scary. They are just car drivers in a larger vehicle. Laws don't apply to them, mirrors don't apply to them, they park on the shoulder of any road as soon as they reach the 7 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds point on the ELD instead of thinking ahead 30 minutes to where they might be. Hell, use an exit or entrance ramp, not parked on the fog line of the shoulder.

Simple unwritten courtesy laws don't apply to them. Yield signs don't mean anything. The majority of them drive like they are in a car where in reality many are approaching 75 feet long. It's just plain insanity out on the roads anymore.

Why? What obstacles are out there that prevent women from entering this industry now?

@Injun get in here and womansplain this to us.

Have you MET @Injun ???

That right there will scare men away…

(<<<<sends email to boss telling him to keep me as far away from the NW as possible.)

When they get these 80k drivers, we will still be short. But, we will have an 80k abundance of steering wheel holders. Male of female, some of these 'drivers?' out there today are downright scary. They are just car drivers in a larger vehicle. Laws don't apply to them, mirrors don't apply to them, they park on the shoulder of any road as soon as they reach the 7 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds point on the ELD instead of thinking ahead 30 minutes to where they might be. Hell, use an exit or entrance ramp, not parked on the fog line of the shoulder.

Simple unwritten courtesy laws don't apply to them. Yield signs don't mean anything. The majority of them drive like they are in a car where in reality many are approaching 75 feet long. It's just plain insanity out on the roads anymore.
Holiday travel attitudes started today, if not yesterday

I don't see any obstacles for women to enter the industry.

Maybe women are just smarter than men and DON'T WANT to enter the industry.
Maybe women want to have a life outside of work.

I honestly can't understand why ANYONE Male or Female would want to enter this industry in it's current state.
We had the decades long race to the bottom where the quality of truck driver that share the roads has become embarrassing and down right dangerous!

The young folks these days has a great appreciation and desire for a work/life balance.
While trucks these days have way more creature comforts of home and communicating with home is just at the touch of a finger via the internet and cell network it still is not the same.

Why would you want to get into a "career" where the ever looming threat of being replaced by a computer/robot/autonomous truck will make trucking NOT a life long "career"?

IMO Women and young folk should get into the trades. Make some real money and have a life.

The trucking industry and governments have brought this "driver shortage" upon themselves!

Bu,Bu, But, what about the supply chain and the economy?
Well, I guess the governments should have thought about that 20 years ago! :dunno:

I honestly can't understand why ANYONE Male or Female would want to enter this industry in it's current state.
We had the decades long race to the bottom where the quality of truck driver that share the roads has become embarrassing and down right dangerous!

The young folks these days has a great appreciation and desire for a work/life balance.
While trucks these days have way more creature comforts of home and communicating with home is just at the touch of a finger via the internet and cell network it still is not the same.

Why would you want to get into a "career" where the ever looming threat of being replaced by a computer/robot/autonomous truck will make trucking NOT a life long "career"?

IMO Women and young folk should get into the trades. Make some real money and have a life.

The trucking industry and governments have brought this "driver shortage" upon themselves!

Bu,Bu, But, what about the supply chain and the economy?
Well, I guess the governments should have thought about that 20 years ago! :dunno:
I'm in it to get rich.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread