U.S. Court sides with FMCSA over Mexico program

Damn you Canadians, killing our economy!

I don't mind Canadians coming and going as we can and do haul freight in and out of their country too. What bothers me about Mexico is that while Mexicans can operate here without fearing for their lives, we don't dare head south of the border...

I love America and the people. I love traveling there but every once in a while I run into some arrogant ignorant prick BUBBA! Why are Canadians on our roads? like Tazz , BW9 .

There is a very.simple cure for that but your not gonna like it. In addition I have made no comments to your character, you have fleshed that out all by yourself. See my point is very simple. I do.not care if Canadians have jobs. If they want to sell us products no problem place them for sale we can accept or not.

Sell it to someone else. That has nothing to do with Canadians, Americans(though I doubt it is as prevelant in Canada), or Mexicans hauling intracountry loads on foriegn soil. Nobody enforces the.laws against ir, so I advocate a clear solution. You stay on your side, I will stay on mine( which I do for a few reasons), and Pedro can stay on his.
Oh it may not fix our economy, but I see Jo harm in making sure those loads go in an Americans pay check, paying American taxes.

People.from Canada want to come visit cool. Met some nice people from up there at some races. Parts of Canada look very interesting to explore though I doubt I ever will. Fear of tools prevents me from entering. But of you guys can make buck off tourists good for you.

No if we are talking immigration, either apply for citizenship, pay the same taxes, and never ever get any kind of government assistance, or leave.

Same as I tell people who throw up Canada's oh so great health care system. Go apply for citizenship and move up there. Kinda like we were supposed to be able to do between states down here before Ol Hickory threatened to jang the SC legislature, and a.domestic terrorist names Lincoln declared war..... But probably another discussion.

and Pedro can stay on his.

Ok, time to cool it with this stuff.

NAFTA has been around longer than most here have been trucking, and it isn't changing.

On this forum, we are going to get along with each other. Between admins and mods, we have all three countries well represented. I like it that way.

Free trade(reduced tariffs etc.) between the USA & CAN. dates back to 1855 with on again off again treaties until 1935. From 1935 on into the 1980s Free Trade got tweeked more & more until officially signed by both USA & CAN in 1988. NAFTA was signed in 1994 which superseded the the USA/CAN FTA.

.well except the Autobahn company. Those yack offs are gonna get branded by me one of these days. Seriously why the hell are they eating noodles driving up Hey 109???? I swear one of 'em is gonna catch me on one of my less temperate days and go back to Canada with.stupid stenciled in his forhead with a cold branding iron.

One of those guys just whipped in and out of this Loves so fast I thought he was going to roll over.

In order to have trade, companies HAVE to be able to cross borders. Even if it's just the trans-bordering that's been happening for years now. Here's a little known fact that OOIDA and Teamsters won't tell you; many of the companies that cross the border are in fact owned by companies domiciled in the US. Schneider owns the outfit that drops the stuff in their terminal, as do several other companies.

So whats the difference if they travel a little farther into the states?

By your logic, since that freight is coming from Mexico, YOU are taking MEXICAN jobs, when you pick up a load in Laredo and head north.

One of those guys just whipped in and out of this Loves so fast I thought he was going to roll over.

In order to have trade, companies HAVE to be able to cross borders. Even if it's just the trans-bordering that's been happening for years now. Here's a little known fact that OOIDA and Teamsters won't tell you; many of the companies that cross the border are in fact owned by companies domiciled in the US. Schneider owns the outfit that drops the stuff in their terminal, as do several other companies.

So whats the difference if they travel a little farther into the states?

By your logic, since that freight is coming from Mexico, YOU are taking MEXICAN jobs, when you pick up a load in Laredo and head north.

Nah see they bring it to the border, and I brought stuff down to the border, the folks at the cross dock give him my load and put his on my trailer. He gets to go home tonight and I'll be home tomorrow.

Companies can trade in this manner. Point in fact is I do not care if they bring their freight to Tennessee and load back for home. However more than a few are loading domestic loads and leap frogging back home. The only way I see to stop that practice is to close the border and use trade zones and cross docks. We send GM loads into Canada on our trailers however we lat a Canadian company run their side( mostly to avoid having to carry a passport or FAST be by our drivers). We send our trailers into Mexico in Mexicali and have a similar deal with a company there. All that was required is a drop yard.

I love America and the people. I love traveling there but every once in a while I run into some arrogant ignorant prick BUBBA! Why are Canadians on our roads? like Tazz , BW9 .

How did I get dragged into this?

I agree with TAZZ but I don't spend much time bitchin about the issue.
Do not call me names here that you wouldn't call me to my face....and I assure you , you would NEVER say that to my face!

Tazz (and the like. Mention feature works btw. Same as it did last time...YAY!)

Pardon the ramble and yes there IS a point...bear with me here:

Some time ago, I saw an ad in the paper at home. "Texas land CHEAP call this number: 1-800 blaa blaaa. See there's a rural township near me named Texas and I thought it was that area.

Turns out, it was way down by Presidio, TX. Square block acreage of nothing but desert, and you'd have to be one hell of a homesteading mofo to even set up camp there, much less try to live.

So, I declined politely.

Still, I pondered the next 20 or so years. Increasing cross-border traffic, trade expanding between the US/Canada/Mexico...and I wondered if that area would become more valuable as a trade point like Laredo has. I thought about setting up a cross dock, or trans-bordering terminal in the Presidio area.

Boy, if I actually had a BS in Business Admin, and a few venture capitalists, I'd probably be freakin dangerous. To the venture capitalists, I mean. To my knowledge, Presidio is still pretty damn dead, but I did hear of another area that was closed after 9/11 that is set to re-open soon (that I'm sure the GOP will lambast Obama for) and I'm wondering about opportunities there.

Point is, isolationism doesn't work. It's the reason North Korea is dark when looking at an image from space. It's the reason the Navy lost a ship and never got it back (that's since gone missing, btw and it's the reason Korea destroyed merchant vessels for pretty much no reason at all.

Now I ask you. Given how South Korea has embraced democracy and trade, and even China has also (though there's a LOT of work to be done there, please stop poisoning us, and I don't just mean Panda Express and my intestines...) so do you really think isolationism is a realistic and wise way to go in the 21st century? Look at S. Korea vs. N. Korea.

You espouse North Korea's approach. Even Pat Buchanan gave up on that much isolationism. I'm willing to bet there will still be plenty of freight in Laredo, and Calexico. Because honestly, while they're willing to come here, I don't feel safe enough to go there.

But my final point is this...look for opportunity in these new deals, and see if you can find a way to capitalize on it. Now THERES an idea.

As stated, there's a new border crossing opening up. Okay so this ones in Big Bend Nat'l Park, so no vehicular traffic, but...set up an Inn. Open a pub (probably a bad idea), something. Find a crossing with lots of vehicular traffic and lease an empty lot for truck parking (HUGE business in Houston, btw).

Try realistic ideas, and entrepreneurial ideas. That's what built the USA.

I don't know what the hell you're aiming for for this country. But I'm pretty sure it's not realistic or going to work in any way.

Still missing the point all I am referring to is transportation. And North Korea is dark for more reasons than their trade issues. The entire Marxist Mantra probably has a good deal to do with it.

Now if your reffering to my purchase choices I stand by them. My list starts with those I do business with and ends with some product made over seas, if I just can't live without it.

How did I get dragged into this?

I agree with TAZZ but I don't spend much time bitchin about the issue.
Do not call me names here that you wouldn't call me to my face....and I assure you , you would NEVER say that to my face!
I'd call you Bubba to your face.

Because I'm pretty sure I can run faster than you. :)

A new border crossing at Big Bend?

...you must mean legitimizing the open border that already exists there...

HAHA....not quite. It was sort of an obscure forgotten little place with little enforcement, but nothing ever really happened there either, so it was totally overlooked until 9/11 when it was closed...and probably rightly so. Boquillas del Carmen I think it is.

Of course, I heard the story on NPR too, so for all we know ten dirty bombs came across before it was closed, and they'd probably fail to mention that in favor of the paupers selling their trinkets that had been run out of business at the closing, and who are now subsisting on rice and dirt. Instead of steak and dirt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread