Two cycle oil mixed in diesel fuel?

Don't know that is really did anything, so I quit doing it.

Being that I have a 7 micron filter, I have been running Power Service in my tanks quite a bit. The filters were struggling to even make it to my oil change intervals, and even though they are cheap, I just didn't want to mess with replacing the between oil changes. Accidentally, I found out that once the filter is about 3/4 plugged up, I could run Power Service through the tanks, and by the time I needed to fuel again, the filter would barely have an inch of fuel in the bottom of it, and restriction on the fuel gauge would drop back down to where I felt more comfortable. Tested this theory multiple times now, and it works. The way I see it, if the filter is getting gummed up with the bio crap, then it can't be doing good stuff in the rest of the fuel system either, so I put the chemical in rather than just increasing my fuel filter changes.

Probably not the "bio crap" doing it, but the crap that the "bio crap" is cleaning out of your engine and fuel system. One of the constituent components of biodiesel are alcohols.

From a Wikipedia article on Biofuels...

"Since biodiesel is an effective solvent and cleans residues deposited by mineral diesel, engine filters may need to be replaced more often, as the biofuel dissolves old deposits in the fuel tank and pipes. It also effectively cleans the engine combustion chamber of carbon deposits, helping to maintain efficiency. "

and I know @ironpony was whining about the ATF turning the diesel red and getting all truck drivers thrown into prison for life, well, not even a tint of red that I could see in the tanks, or through the davco after 100 miles of driving. ;)

Maybe a quart of so of ATF on each fillup, or some sort of maintenance plan like this might be something good to go with on the older design engines. Bio is not my friend.

Nah... they throw ya into a sweat box until ya become a liberal.

:tongueout:

In Dec 2013, I replaced ALL of my fuel lines with new.

I finally was able to get my truck to run correctly be getting rid of the crap in my tanks with a "flu shot".

all in ONE 120-gal tank.
16 oz bottle of FPPF Kill'em algicide.
32 oz of Powerservice Diesel 911 (removes moisture)
32 oz bottle of PowerService Clear Diesel

My tank was black on the interior. It was nasty. I also figured since it was UNDER 10*F that month, I needed to get the extra action going. Read the label. In a B10 or greater or temp >10*F, you need to double the additive. (beginning to see why I feel additives are a waste of money unless you have a specific need.?)

that little "flu shot" cost me almost $100.

Since then, I continue to use a Wix 33651 fuel filter. Yes, it's only a 10 micron filter. The 33651XE is rated at 5 micron. I'm cheap. I got the 33651 for like $4.78 instead of paying almost 6X the price for the XE.

But there's something else I do too.

Once a month, I run my tanks down. Especially when I know that I will be able to accurately track my distance travelled and get a good gauge on the fuel. And by that I mean at or more than 200-220 gallons of fuel on twin 120-gal fuel tanks.

The most I have ever added was 213 gallons of fuel doing that.

You remove all the asphaltene building up in your tank and that's what causes the sludge to start forming in your tanks. It's become a bigger issue with the higher pressure, higher fuel temp fuel systems since the mid-90's engines came out. And it will only get worse with these common rail fuel systems we are going to.

Never had a problem with asphaltine in my fuel system.

I do throw half a gallon of Lucas Injector Cleaner in my fuel once a quarter. Seems like it runs a little better afterwards.

Last edited:
Probably not the "bio crap" doing it, but the crap that the "bio crap" is cleaning out of your engine. One of the constituent components of biodiesel are alcohols.

Regardless, it's a pain. My first fuel filter clogged up at 5k.

Probably not the "bio crap" doing it, but the crap that the "bio crap" is cleaning out of your engine and fuel system. One of the constituent components of biodiesel are alcohols.

From a Wikipedia article on Biofuels...

"Since biodiesel is an effective solvent and cleans residues deposited by mineral diesel, engine filters may need to be replaced more often, as the biofuel dissolves old deposits in the fuel tank and pipes. It also effectively cleans the engine combustion chamber of carbon deposits, helping to maintain efficiency. "

Nah... they throw ya into a sweat box until ya become a liberal.

:tongueout:

Never had a problem with asphaltine in my fuel system.

I do throw half a gallon of Lucas Injector Cleaner in my fuel once a quarter. Seems like it runs a little better afterwards.

how far down do you run your fuel tanks all the time?

how far down do you run your fuel tanks all the time?
1/8 remaining is about it. I do take a look with a flashlight to see what's going on every once in awhile. Haven't noticed anything down there yet.

I do have a FASS system, but its been bypassed for a few weeks... got a leaking fuel hose that needs replaced.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread