Trucking Trends That Can Go Away Anytime Now...

No different than climbing a hill at 35 with the flashers on.

Just stay in the left and pass me.
Old Timer once told me..

If ya need "Chains" ya shouldn't be "Driving" in it anyhow..

Always took that 2 "heart"..

Remember afew years ago across Missouri was an Ice Storm and they don't SALT like here....

Was like driving across a Hockey Rink..

Cars "sliding" allover..

I was Mr "Flashers" and 25 mph until I hit Neelyville Truckstop

Old Timer once told me..

Remember afew years ago across Missouri was an Ice Storm and they don't SALT like here....

Cars "sliding" allover..

Yeah but I'm at 35mph on a perfectly dry sunny day climbing some of these VA hills nearly at gross.

And with no sleeper, some progress is better than no progress. I'll crawl 25mph with flashers if it gets me home.

It's not about the laws of physics, or rather thinking I can exceed them. It's about comfort level. It's about understanding what your truck is telling you about conditions. It's knowing that 6" of powder @10° is nothing but 1" of wet snow @ 30° is a hydroplane waiting to happen. It's recognizing the difference between the twitch of a tire fighting for traction and the lurch of a truck still on the road by sheer luck. It's about having spent years learning how to dance with this fat girl even when someone just waxed the floor.
It gets to be about physics real quick when your ego hits a patch of black ice your magic ice feelers didn't detect, or a 4 wheeler wipes out and bounces into the lane in front of you.

It gets to be about physics real quick when your ego hits a patch of black ice your magic ice feelers didn't detect, or a 4 wheeler wipes out and bounces into the lane in front of you.
Okay I was Southbound minding my own business..

When a Northbound slides across and wraps upside your truck.

Now We in an ACCIDENT and State Patrol is "coming" along with the Sheriff's Department..

Even "cleared" still goes on "my" RECORD

Hey, at least I own up to it! 😎

It's not about the laws of physics, or rather thinking I can exceed them. It's about comfort level. It's about understanding what your truck is telling you about conditions. It's knowing that 6" of powder @10° is nothing but 1" of wet snow @ 30° is a hydroplane waiting to happen. It's recognizing the difference between the twitch of a tire fighting for traction and the lurch of a truck still on the road by sheer luck. It's about having spent years learning how to dance with this fat girl even when someone just waxed the floor.
You feel that jelly roll and your 5th point of contact tightens up and it's time to park it.

The fat lady has sung.

I started to leave this alone, but I believe it should be addressed.

Hard as it is for the male ego to accept, there are different levels of skill and experience, especially in winter conditions. Conditions that make you tense are another day at work to a driver who spends much more time driving in winter conditions than you do. I'm firmly of the opinion that if you're so tense and moving slow enough compared to traffic that you feel the need to run your flashers, you need to park and stop being a rolling road hazard. All running flashers does is scare and confuse the 4 wheelers, who have a tough enough time not being idiots around trucks as it is. One slow truck on a busier highway can screw up traffic for a half mile or more. Besides all that, you're not a hall monitor who gets to decide what the safe speed should be.

And because this always degenerates into a peeing contest, the last 20 of my 35 years has been running a high percentage of my miles in the northern winters. And since my only incident was 30 years ago (and involved a naked wife on the doghouse) and 3 million plus miles ago, my record allows me to be the arrogant prick who can scold you for how you're doing things. Wake up and realize that while some of the faster guys are idiots (and they're not hard to spot) some of them just have a better skillset. It's not easy to swallow, but it's true for all of us.

"Everyone faster is a lunatic, everyone slower needs to learn to drive." It's a trope that is common among all drivers, car and truck alike . Wisdom is understanding why that's a falsehood.

<engage ****storm>

I agree with this also. I was using my four ways in this case because I knew I had guys running up behind me loaded while I was empty.

Middle of nowhere NoDak, these guys all had plenty of time to get around me and nobody ran up close behind me.

I’m sure a few of them thought I was a moron, but that’s okay.

As far as shutting down, like I said, I’d still be sitting there come spring time.

I get the stopping on the shoulder for non-emergencies but who cares if a guy stands outside his truck to talk on the phone. That's just being petty.
You can always hit the STICKS where Off Ramps 1)2 mile long wide ass shoulders...

Shutter down Take a Nap...

Just Lock your Doors ...other than that nobody "bother" ya

It's actually "safer" than your average Truckstop

10” straights. Why was this ever a thing? Are you drag racing your semi later? Does it make 2500 hp and need the flow? Or are you just that deaf that you can’t hear that loud ass **** all day and all night?
10s aren't loud there deep they have tone. It's thsee guys with 5s that are annoying. 8's are plenty big for me though. Also the less back presure the better the MPG.

10s aren't loud there deep they have tone. It's thsee guys with 5s that are annoying. 8's are plenty big for me though. Also the less back presure the better the MPG.
If you can hear the pipes cruising down the road, they're too loud. When your an old guy like me with tinnitus, you'll wish you'd listened.

Best sounding truck I've ever driven was my Sterling Silverstar (rebadged Ford Aeromax.) Twin mufflers under the cab feeding straight pipe all the way up the back of the sleeper. It had the most beautiful burble that you could only here with the window down.

If you can hear the pipes cruising down the road, they're too loud. When your an old guy like me with tinnitus, you'll wish you'd listened.

Best sounding truck I've ever driven was my Sterling Silverstar (rebadged Ford Aeromax.) Twin mufflers under the cab feeding straight pipe all the way up the back of the sleeper. It had the most beautiful burble that you could only here with the window down.
I don't mind hearing it,same with my Dad who has tennitus. As long as the larger piped it's not very loud. Larger the pipe the more deeper sound. I look at it like this. A female yelling is a lot easier to hear then a guy why ??? Because the guy has a deeper voice. I like to here my truck. I can sense more. I agree the guys with 5s and strait pipes are annoying. I'll say though. There is a truck at the driving school my Dad teachs at that has stock mufflers that are worn out. 12.7 Detroit. It wouldn't be fun to hear k. A mountain but when you hear it you can't help but smile. It's just a good ol reliable rig. It has a personality. New trucks hove 0 personality except some have a bad personality.

I don't mind hearing it,same with my Dad who has tennitus. As long as the larger piped it's not very loud. Larger the pipe the more deeper sound. I look at it like this. A female yelling is a lot easier to hear then a guy why ??? Because the guy has a deeper voice. I like to here my truck. I can sense more. I agree the guys with 5s and strait pipes are annoying. I'll say though. There is a truck at the driving school my Dad teachs at that has stock mufflers that are worn out. 12.7 Detroit. It wouldn't be fun to hear k. A mountain but when you hear it you can't help but smile. It's just a good ol reliable rig. It has a personality. New trucks hove 0 personality except some have a bad personality.
Well, I can say I tried. "What?" will be your most used phrase once you reach 50.

Church!!

The physics encountered in nature aren't turned off in deference for your vastly superior skill set, no matter what you might think.
Exactly. I agree 100%

No different than climbing a hill at 35 with the flashers on.

Just stay in the left and pass me.
Right. Also agree with this.

There's always gotta be someone out there who is Johnny Big Balls and wants to tell you why you're wrong. "If you are driving the minimum, get off the road". F that. I have a living to make just like you. If I'm not the slowest person on the road (and I'm never that guy), save your speech for someone who gives a crap. There's never any such thing as powder in the states I run. If I saw nothing but 4-5 inches of supposed powder on the road, I'm not going to assume there's nothing under it but pavement. But go ahead, super trucker. Keep jawing. If you want to assume I don't know what I'm doing out here, fine by me. That's the reason I don't own a CB. Same reason I sit alone at a table if there is a bar near a truck stop. I won't sit at the bar because I don't want to deal with you. The best company I'll ever have is waiting for me at home.

Old Timer once told me..

Cars "sliding" allover..

What's up with all the "quotation marks "?

"Everyone faster is a lunatic, everyone slower needs to learn to drive." It's a trope that is common among all drivers, car and truck alike . Wisdom is understanding why that's a falsehood.
Thanks to you two for making my point, especially about the first half of the saying.

BTW, my point about parking wasn't the second half of that saying. It was merely pointing out that if you're significantly slower than most traffic, you're a road hazard who should park their ego so they can park their truck.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to Supertruckering. LMFAO!

SmartSelect_20191215-103944_Google.jpg

Well, I can say I tried. "What?" will be your most used phrase once you reach 50.
My Dad was Marine and was around tanks Machine gun fire ect. Been around plenty of loud trucks too. He has said any of his hearing is from being in the Marines. He's 56 and can hear fairly good. You don't understand how many DB strait 8s put out especially with a Cat motor. It's not very high at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread