Trucking through Mexico.

Bored Insane

I found little information on driving a semi-truck through mexico, but heard some smaller carriers actually go to Mexico. It seems to me there is a big potential in doing business with South America in general. So, is the danger of running into cartel that is preventing most drivers from doing this? If some carriers are doing business with Mexico, there must be some pros, right?

Main reason I ask is I know a VP of circle K who is looking for trucking company to haul his store stuff. He wants to have semi-trucks (convoys of them) going down moving food, equipment, etc. I heard he was talking to some people already on this.

Believe it or not you can drive all the way to Argentina. You'll never make it at least 10 times over through.

You are very unlikely to go into Mexico.

If you did, it's not nearly as bad as the fear mongers make it out to be.

Says you.
I've got a good friend who was raised 6 months near Monterrey, 6 months here (American dad, Mexican mom).
He's a former driver and built a coach just for going back to see family for a month or so a coupla times per year.
He was extorted by cops the last time he drove and says it's always been commonplace but getting worse year by year.

He also has family who used to drive and have all parked their trucks because of the danger.

He's been flying for the last few trips...
and he hates to fly.

Our freight to Mexico is either dropped st a yard and taken across by a Mexican carrier, or is interlined in a crossdock operation.

Our freight to Mexico is either dropped st a yard and taken across by a Mexican carrier, or is interlined in a crossdock operation.
I see, that makes sense. Customs must be involved at that point.

What security measurements are there to give some confidence that once the stuff is handed over to the Mexican trucking, that the stuff will get to the destination?

I pulled loads from Mexico out of Nogales Az for a couple of years dedicated.
Always heard numerous stories about trailers coming back with no lights, no tires or worn out tires, etc...
never saw any of that, BUT every friggin trailer I picked up was missing the glad hand rubbers...
go figure...
o_O

Always heard numerous stories about trailers coming back with no lights, no tires or worn out tires, etc...
never saw any of that, BUT every friggin trailer I picked up was missing the glad hand rubbers...
go figure...
o_O
That is strange...:confused-96:
Are they short on that part and just swiping it?

go figure...
o_O
Our trailers are inspected before going across, reinforced upon return. Everything down to tire manufacturer and tread depth is documented. The company that crosses the border with the trailers are responsible for making sure they return in the same condition they left in.

That said, most of the trailers I pick up off the yard are missing the glad hand rubbers. I grab 4 new ones every time I get to the yard while my trailer is being inspected just to save myself a trip of having to walk back to the shop.

Says you.
I've got a good friend who was raised 6 months near Monterrey, 6 months here (American dad, Mexican mom).
He's a former driver and built a coach just for going back to see family for a month or so a coupla times per year.
He was extorted by cops the last time he drove and says it's always been commonplace but getting worse year by year.

He also has family who used to drive and have all parked their trucks because of the danger.

He's been flying for the last few trips...
and he hates to fly.

Not sure why he is being singled out like that. We have friends that go back and forth every year, no problems at all. My father in law goes back and forth pretty regularly as well.

Everyone I talk to stays on the toll roads, not so much for safety, but because it's much faster and pays for itself in fuel cost.

My wife is from Michoacan, came here as a teenager. We are hoping to go there in the next year or two and my plans is to drive to Laredo, spend the night, then drive the next day down to her hometown.

Not sure why he is being singled out like that. We have friends that go back and forth every year, no problems at all. My father in law goes back and forth pretty regularly as well.

Everyone I talk to stays on the toll roads, not so much for safety, but because it's much faster and pays for itself in fuel cost.

My wife is from Michoacan, came here as a teenager. We are hoping to go there in the next year or two and my plans is to drive to Laredo, spend the night, then drive the next day down to her hometown.
I assume not on a semi...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread