New To Trucking trucking school vs on the job training

Hi guys. I've been thinking about this and my apologies if the answer is obvious, but I'm genuinely curious about the cdl process and which is the better option. My question, is trucking school vs on the job training essentially the same since they both provide training? I know a lot of trucking companies out there will provide training towards a cdl as long as you have a permit at the time of hire, but usually that training comes with a caveat that you work for said company for a certain period of time, at least this is my understanding. A trucking school, however, will provide training so that you can get your cdl, in which case you wouldn't be contractually bound to work for a specific company. But the trucking company will set you back a few thousand or more. I honestly don't know what the pros and cons are to each and it's probably down to personal preference. I certainly don't have that kinda money laying around to pay for trucking school, so on the job training has become my only option for the time being.

Either way, i'm guessing both options provide a road test in addition to a written/computerized exam. What else can I expect?

I did not say it's involuntary.

This:

!=

Means NOT EQUAL TO. You need to look up the word "indentured" because it's not always forced.

Indentured servitude:

An indentured servant or indentured laborer is an employee within a system of unfree labor who is bound by a signed or forced contract to work for a particular employer for a fixed time. The contract often lets the employer sell the labor of an indenturee to a third party.

Use of the term in regards to our history was a person who was bonded into labor with no ability to leave or modify the terms of the contract. Whether they entered it willingly or not is immaterial to comparison to a lot contract in today's world. An indentured servant could be compelled by law to remain in their position. A CDL driver is always free to walk away from the situation they're in - there may be financial consequences, but the county sheriff will not be engaged to enforce the provisions of an unalterable contract.

Indentured servitude:

An indentured servant or indentured laborer is an employee within a system of unfree labor who is bound by a signed or forced contract to work for a particular employer for a fixed time. The contract often lets the employer sell the labor of an indenturee to a third party.

Use of the term in regards to our history was a person who was bonded into labor with no ability to leave or modify the terms of the contract. Whether they entered it willingly or not is immaterial to comparison to a lot contract in today's world. An indentured servant could be compelled by law to remain in their position. A CDL driver is always free to walk away from the situation they're in - there may be financial consequences, but the county sheriff will not be engaged to enforce the provisions of an unalterable contract.
Give it up already.

Indentured servitude is what company training programs are by definition. Not the one definition you prefer to use, but still one of the definitions in the dictionary.

Point is, you can 1) pay for CDL school with cash and own your immediate future, or you can 2) go to a company for your CDL and let them own your immediate future.

If you leave early as you suggest as a possiblity, you're ultimately paying cash anyway which is basically a delayed #1.

Give it up already.

Indentured servitude is what company training programs are by definition. Not the one definition you prefer to use, but still one of the definitions in the dictionary.

Point is, you can 1) pay for CDL school with cash and own your immediate future, or you can 2) go to a company for your CDL and let them own your immediate future.

If you leave early as you suggest as a possiblity, you're ultimately paying cash anyway which is basically a delayed #1.
You give it up. Your argument is total bullshit. No one is chained to a job for accepting company training.

You give it up. Your argument is total bullshit. No one is chained to a job for accepting company training.
Are you advocating signing a contract only to break it?

Sounds like it to me.

I mean, sure, nobody's gonna physically whip you and shoot you as you run away or anything but based on your logic we don't really have to pay taxes or register our vehicles or anything since nobody is FORCING us.

But if we sign on the dotted line or drive on public roads or whatnot then yeah we gotta pay our dues whether we fundamentally agree or not.

Yeah go ahead and break any contract you want if you give no shits about repercussions of any kind. Bust up your credit, get your future wages garnished, etc.

Or. Just freaking fulfill your obligations in the first place.

People who sign these contracts and abandon them are the types of people who never have a pot to **** in because they have no follow through.

If you're abandoning your contract and then actually paying what you owe, you're doing the same thing you could have done without the contract in the first place which is pay your own freaking way for your own freaking CDL from an independent freaking school.

My argument holds water, you're just too blind to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you advocating signing a contract only to break it?

Sounds like it to me.
By no means do "I advocate" that. However, no employer can rigidly hold you to employment - such a contract would be unenforceable in light of federal labor law.

One year is a short time. People lease cars and sign contracts for cell service that last far longer without a thought.

The trainee receives something of value for their employment besides a payroll check and benefits.

If you can't stick it out for a year, why should I as an employer even consider hiring you?

By no means do "I advocate" that. However, no employer can rigidly hold you to employment - such a contract would be unenforceable in light of federal labor law.

One year is a short time. People lease cars and sign contracts for cell service that last far longer without a thought.

The trainee receives something of value for their employment besides a payroll check and benefits.

If you can't stick it out for a year, why should I as an employer even consider hiring you?
You don't know how bad it can or could be until you're put in it. They know they own you for a year. A year is ages when you're miserable, barely paid, living hand to mouth in a truck and stuck out there.

What's the option? Leave. And then they'll nail you for truck abandonment without even having enough cash to get home because you didn't make squat.

Then you find yourself no better off than before you started. Possibly worse.

Never underestimate a training carrier.

Your good experience isn't what everyone goes through.

You don't know how bad it can or could be until you're put in it. They know they own you for a year. A year is ages when you're miserable, barely paid, living hand to mouth in a truck and stuck out there.

What's the option? Leave. And then they'll nail you for truck abandonment without even having enough cash to get home because you didn't make squat.

Then you find yourself no better off than before you started. Possibly worse.

Never underestimate a training carrier.

Your good experience isn't what everyone goes through.
If you're stupid enough to walk away from a truck under load, you deserve everything coming your way. Why do you assume that an individual going through a trucking company CDL program would be ill-treated, poorly paid and incredibly stupid?

Are you saying that some fool falling for the five monkeys in a rolling box version of a CDL mill that costs thousands of dollars are somehow intellegent, and will be rewarded with the best jobs in the industry?

If you're stupid enough to walk away from a truck under load, you deserve everything coming your way. Why do you assume that an individual going through a trucking company CDL program would be ill-treated, poorly paid and incredibly stupid?

Are you saying that some fool falling for the five monkeys in a rolling box version of a CDL mill that costs thousands of dollars are somehow intellegent, and will be rewarded with the best jobs in the industry?
I didn't say load abandonment.

You can park the truck unladen at a company terminal and some of these places will nail you for abandonment.

I don't assume all experiences will be bad. I assume there's a good possibility.

If you fought in Iraq you're probably more likely to stick out anything thrown your way, but if you're like a lot of people, you might not be willing to accept a lot of BS.

You and I are both biased towards our experiences because they were pretty good. I went through CDL school and 4 weeks later I was making 60k+ and home daily.

Some of the training carriers I called were talking a year of teaming at something around $300-600 a week. Teaming by itself for an entire year is a no-go for me. Let alone being paid less than I was making in the warehouse. Forget that nonsense.

You...I have no idea how your experience was but obviously it was good enough to be an ambassador.

Ultimately, you can do what you want. Free will and all that. But you keep attacking the reasons for me being against the training carrier option as if they don't exist when they very much do.

Well, on the one hand if you pay up front for school then you don't owe anybody anything, but you may not land a job right away.

On the other hand if you get trained by a company, you will have a job but, you owe them for the training.

So, six of one and a half dozen of the other:dunno:
Take your pick!

Well, on the one hand if you pay up front for school then you don't owe anybody anything, but you may not land a job right away.

On the other hand if you get trained by a company, you will have a job but, you owe them for the training.

So, six of one and a half dozen of the other:dunno:
Take your pick!
Yeah I didn't have any problems landing a job. In fact I had a little trouble deciding which one to choose. Ultimately went with the one closest to my house for the short commute and driving to orientation every day.

My house was actually closer to the orientation facility than their hotel was.

BTW if you have a high tolerance for BS and can stick out anything no matter what and the income is of secondary importance to NOT having money out of pocket for school, then go for it. If you have no way to scratch together cash, it gets you in the game.

But remember this: many carriers have tuition reimbursement. They'll give you a little each month so the longer you stay...at higher wages right out of the gate...the less you'll be on the hook for that school you paid for up front.

I stayed almost a year and a half at my first gig and got better than half of it paid for by the company. Maybe close to 3/4. I think two years was my specific break even point. The higher income meant I could afford it out of a couple paychecks though. It was also a job I could actually stay at that long. Out on the road, with a stinky teammate for a year, making half, never seeing home? I dunno about that. I'd put myself at about 3 months in that situation. But I know myself.

So really cost wise it's kind of a wash.

Hi guys. I've been thinking about this and my apologies if the answer is obvious, but I'm genuinely curious about the cdl process and which is the better option. My question, is trucking school vs on the job training essentially the same since they both provide training? I know a lot of trucking companies out there will provide training towards a cdl as long as you have a permit at the time of hire, but usually that training comes with a caveat that you work for said company for a certain period of time, at least this is my understanding. A trucking school, however, will provide training so that you can get your cdl, in which case you wouldn't be contractually bound to work for a specific company. But the trucking company will set you back a few thousand or more. I honestly don't know what the pros and cons are to each and it's probably down to personal preference. I certainly don't have that kinda money laying around to pay for trucking school, so on the job training has become my only option for the time being.

Either way, i'm guessing both options provide a road test in addition to a written/computerized exam. What else can I expect?

Well then what is your question ?
You already stated you don't have the money to pay for a CDL class/training & on the job training is the only option for you !
CDL school vs on the job training has already been decided by what you've said.
So the only question you have is which company that offers CDL/on the job training ? & which isn't POS company to work for.
BTW any OTR company is a POS to work for, look at local.

Stay away from Prime and other megas

Losers work for megas
Let's talk about that... why would anyone work for a carrier that only employ losers?

For one thing, insurance. The large carriers are self-insured, meaning they can absorb the risk of putting zero experience drivers in control of 80,000 lb commercial vehicles.

They have extensive freight networks, making the likelihood of sitting much less.

Drop 'n hook freight. They have large trailer pools that allow them to preload.

Here's another question: if they only employ loser drivers, how could they ever be successful?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread