Trucking Industry Divided Over Speed Limiters

sportsou

Staff member
A proposal requiring truckers to make use of devices that limit their speeds to no faster than 68 mph has caused a split within the trucking industry.

Nine large trucking companies including Lowell-based J.B. Hunt Transport Services Inc., have asked government agencies to force the use of speed limiters -- often referred to as a governor -- in virtually all commercial tractor-trailers.

Along with the American Trucking Associations, the companies last October joined with Road Safe America, a safety advocacy group, in filing a petition with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

A similar petition was submitted to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

All trucks manufactured since 1990 are equipped with speed limiters, which are computer chips that can be set to cap the maximum speed of trucks, but are not uniformly put into use.

Bill Graves, president and CEO of the American Trucking Associations, said speed limiters improve highway safety and increase fuel efficiency.

"We believe it's incumbent on the industry to lead by example on safety-related issues," Graves said.

But smaller trucking firms and owner-operators scoff at the reasoning, saying the devices in some instances make the highways less safe by limiting driver maneuverability.

Todd Spencer, executive vice president of the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, called the petition "a matter of public relations" for larger firms to eventually gain permission to haul larger loads than are currently allowed.

Source: nwaonline.net (more)

A proposal requiring truckers to make use of devices that limit their speeds to no faster than 68 mph has caused a split within the trucking industry.

Nine large trucking companies including Lowell-based J.B. Hunt Transport Services Inc., have asked government agencies to force the use of speed limiters -- often referred to as a governor -- in virtually all commercial tractor-trailers.

Along with the American Trucking Associations, the companies last October joined with Road Safe America, a safety advocacy group, in filing a petition with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

A similar petition was submitted to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

All trucks manufactured since 1990 are equipped with speed limiters, which are computer chips that can be set to cap the maximum speed of trucks, but are not uniformly put into use.

Bill Graves, president and CEO of the American Trucking Associations, said speed limiters improve highway safety and increase fuel efficiency.

"We believe it's incumbent on the industry to lead by example on safety-related issues," Graves said.

But smaller trucking firms and owner-operators scoff at the reasoning, saying the devices in some instances make the highways less safe by limiting driver maneuverability.

Todd Spencer, executive vice president of the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, called the petition "a matter of public relations" for larger firms to eventually gain permission to haul larger loads than are currently allowed.

Source: nwaonline.net (more)

Cute! Then the cost of hauling from point A to point B will go up even higher.

Here it comes people...exactly what I said to be aware of when Canada passed legislation reguiring speed limiters. This is another step.

-ss-

Here it comes people...exactly what I said to be aware of when Canada passed legislation reguiring speed limiters. This is another step.

-ss-

This was posted 17 months ago, but you are right, and I have said the same thing here since this talk started way back then. I urged very heavily that people be thinking about this in case it did pass in Canada, because the United States would be next for a push like this.

Unfortunately, the concern over fuel costs (while very important) is allowing the truckers to fall asleep on many issues like this.

This was posted 17 months ago, but you are right, and I have said the same thing here since this talk started way back then. I urged very heavily that people be thinking about this in case it did pass in Canada, because the United States would be next for a push like this.

Unfortunately, the concern over fuel costs (while very important) is allowing the truckers to fall asleep on many issues like this.

This is true for many truckers, but I have been noticing a large number of truckers are becoming more aware.

I hadn't paid attention to the date...so I'll leave my previous post as a pre-statement to what will be coming. [lol]

-ss-

Not only will this be used as a barginning chip to convince the legislators to allow heavier, larger trucks, it is also a way to slow down the ones who compete with the ATA, mega carriers. On a long haul the 68mph carriers are getting spanked with faster service from smaller carriers who might run as fast as the law allows. In this era of "just in time" deliveries, the quickness of the delivery can sometimes be a bigger factor to the customer than the shipping cost. If the speed differential is legislated away, the mega carriers will win the deals, based solely on price. :nono:

Just as important is the safety issue. if you need speed to merge or avoid something and it ain't there - somebody's hurt or dead.
Or steep mountains roads where you need that downhill run.

Or steep mountains roads where you need that downhill run.
Ain't no dang speed limiter gonna' work when the truck's in Georgia overdrive. Yeeee Haw!!!! :beep:

I've driven fast trucks with no power, and, I've driven slow trucks that would not even grunt on a grade. I'll take power over speed, but, striking a balance is best, and the best balance is to let the truck operate within the torque range when in high gear. At 68mph it's about time to downshift.

I drove for Koch for a short while. Their trucks had a top gear governor and 68mph was all she wrote in 10th gear. Through gears 1-9 it had full power and all the rpms you needed to to get the job done. One day I was winding it up, coming onto the interstate and happened to look at the gauges just before I shifted into the big hole. The truck was running 72mph in 9th gear and was just at the top of the green line on the tach. That truck never saw high gear again while I was there.

Speed limiter set at 68 max with a national speed limit of 55 like the 90s and 70s.
Wouldn't that be fun??

LOTS of broke down trucks because the engines are not allowed to operate in the optimum range of performance, OR just drive like the other person posted, in a lower gear for better revs.
Other than the lower gear operation, fuel mileage will be gone because of poorly functioning engines.
So where's the difference??

The ONLY difference from now will be MORE WRECKS because no one will be able to "legally" speed up to avoid them.

Yeah, great idea.

MY current speed limiter is ME.
My top end is 85+.

You wanna come over here.
were only allowed 55mph

They'll never enforce it. The big companies might, But not us Individuals who drive and maintain our own trucks. I have a friend who has a shop and a computer to do diagnostics checks. I had him turn my truck up as far as it would go. It will pull and fly if I want it to. This is about dumb to me. Why not turn these little hot-rod cars down some? They are the ones who are usually zipping in and out of traffic wide open and driving crazy.

They'll never enforce it. The big companies might, But not us Individuals who drive and maintain our own trucks. I have a friend who has a shop and a computer to do diagnostics checks. I had him turn my truck up as far as it would go. It will pull and fly if I want it to. This is about dumb to me. Why not turn these little hot-rod cars down some? They are the ones who are usually zipping in and out of traffic wide open and driving crazy.
Hey yea, why don't they!!!!!!!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread