Truckers Strike April 1, 2008

Mike

FYI - This thread was given the title "strike" because that is what a large number of truckers are looking for. Make no mistake, this isn't a strike, this isn't being led by us or any individual person. It is being led by concerned truckers from all over the Country.

I am sure many of you already know about this, or maybe not. But in the interest of getting information out to those who want to be informed about what is going on, there is another movement being pushed on the CB Radio regarding Truckers shutting their rigs down on April 1st, in protest of the $4.00 Dollar per gallon fuel costs. This is commonly being called a "Fuel Shut Down".

We are half way through March, and I just heard about it a couple days ago, so unless those who are in charge of this, whoever they may be, really get busy in the next week or two, I don't expect to see much from it.

With this "shutdown", much like every other one that grows legs on the CB, it is done with good intentions, but unfortunately it is being done on short notice, and being done most likely without the support of the majority of the trucking industry. A huge portion of the trucking industry is new drivers, who are company drivers, and most of them don't have a good understanding about what these fuel prices are doing to the individual owner-operator, as well as the smaller multi-truck companies.

While I don't think this will do any good, I do applaud those who's efforts are genuine in this. I wish them the best of luck in achieving their goal, but the bottom line is only a small percentage of drivers out there listen to the CB these days, and many of those have it turned off until they run into traffic congestion.

Another problem with the CB rants regarding these shutdowns is that as soon as someone speaks up that doesn't support the idea of a shutdown, rather than being able to have a productive discussion on why it is happening, it quickly turns into namecalling, and then a mini-CB war between Owner Operators and Company Drivers. Once again, same crap, different month.

For those who do read trucking forums, and support having a shutdown, I have a proposal for you:

Rather than crusade on the CB radio to organize a shutdown of the trucking industry, and expect it to happen in a matter of weeks, get out there and direct all those you can to trucking forums, where everyone can communicate in a less combative environment. It doesn't have to be this forum, but make sure it is a forum where those who are behind the scenes are there to try to truly make a difference in the trucking industry, not a place where the goal seems to be nothing other than to provide a medium for whining and bashing companies.

On a forum, such as this one, you become more accountable for your actions, and less likely to spout off non-truths, because what you say is documented, and can be verified. It helps stop false rumors before they run rampant like you see happen on a daily basis with the CB.

Also, the new wave of people coming into the trucking industry using forums like this one to learn about the industry before getting into it. In addition, they are using trucking forums to communicate with other truck drivers. The use of message boards like these will only continue to increase, so take advantage of them.

Back to the "April Trucker Shutdown"

I participated in the last shutdown, which was also on very short notice. Just like this one, I heard about it shortly before it actually happened, just like everyone else. I hope those who participate see something positive from it, but I doubt it will happen.
  • Educate
  • Plan
  • Act
Those three steps are just a minimal outline of what needs to be done before something like this will ever succeed.

Edit (3/18/08)... Since originally posting this thread, many dates for the shutdown have come up, and some truckers have already shutdown their rigs.

Edit (4/8/08)...
Ok everybody. We had some great discussion in this thread for the most part, and with almost 50,000 page views to this thread alone, I think it is safe to say we successfully directed a large amount of attention to the April 1 Shutdown.

Now it is time to direct our attention to another rally. This rally and potential shutdown includes not only truckers, but also all citizens. Basically everyone that drives and is effected by these outrageous fuel costs, as well as the money that brokers are scamming from truckers causing the rates to be forced up and the cost of groceries to go up as well.

Join us in the following thread and let's get the word out for a big rally on April 12, 2008, followed by a potential shutdown on May 5th.

Truckers and Citizens Rally April 12, 2008 - Shutdown May 5th

LOL...OK well let's see today alone I have found 5 different dates for a so called strike,shutdown,etc.

There are rumors to go with a May 1st shutdown in Cali. pass it on and sign this web page myspace.com/cartracer24 it takes a strong alliance to band togather and say enough is enough..
Source(s):

myspace.com/cartracer24
I say strike on April 15, tax day.
No I haven't heard March 24, but the talk around Dublin Ga is April 3, 2008. We all need to stick together and bring this nonsense to an end!
Has anyone heard anything about the truckers strike on March 24, 2008?
So when is it exactly suppose to be? P.S. The one Bullwinkle posted is number 5

Bullwinkle,

i am sorry to say that since this was a posting about a strike, i just didn't wish to read all the usual rhetoric about it............

strike.....strike.....strike.......

c'mon now........

in any event....

APRIL 1st..........????

that IS April Fool's day..........isn't it.......??????

someone else, is trying to "put one over" everyone else...............

frankly..................we all know, it ain't never gonna happen...............

driver's with too much time on thier hands.............is all it ever is........

Heard OOIDA reps talking about this today. They aren't backing it, of course, but this one has gained more attention that any one I have heard of so far.

They had OOIDA members calling in to LandLine, saying they would be participating in this, and what I found most disturbing, was that some of these drivers planned on shutting down, with freight in their trailers. Do that and you are just asking for trouble. But, it is your decision.

More importantly, the stressed the number of calls they got from Owner Operators that DID NOT support this "shutdown" (because you can't call it a strike), because they are doing just fine out there. These guys are simply not pulling cheap freight, and they are not pulling freight if they are not getting the full fuel surcharge. To me, this is the smart way to go. But, at the same time, these are probably drivers who have bought their rigs, not leasing, and they bought what they could afford, rather than overspending on something they had no business buying.

Fuel costs are a problem, and they are killing our economy. The way for truckers to stand up to it though, is to not absorb any of the cost. Don't haul cheap freight just to keep the wheels turning, and don't haul freight without getting the full fuel surcharge. Any costs that the truckers don't absorb is getting passed right to the consumer. The stores aren't absorbing any of it. Groceries have gone up about 30% during the past few months, directly in relation to the fuel increases. They would be up more if so many trucks weren't hauling freight at cut-rate costs.

Fighting fuel costs is not a war that can be won on the CB Radio. You have a bunch of rich people, getting richer, buy forcing the cost of oil up. Let it all trickle straight down to the cost of the products in the stores, and you will see the entire Country putting a stop to it shortly.

Heard OOIDA reps talking about this today. They aren't backing it, of course, but this one has gained more attention that any one I have heard of so far.

They had OOIDA members calling in to LandLine, saying they would be participating in this, and what I found most disturbing, was that some of these drivers planned on shutting down, with freight in their trailers. Do that and you are just asking for trouble. But, it is your decision.

More importantly, the stressed the number of calls they got from Owner Operators that DID NOT support this "shutdown" (because you can't call it a strike), because they are doing just fine out there. These guys are simply not pulling cheap freight, and they are not pulling freight if they are not getting the full fuel surcharge. To me, this is the smart way to go. But, at the same time, these are probably drivers who have bought their rigs, not leasing, and they bought what they could afford, rather than overspending on something they had no business buying.

Fuel costs are a problem, and they are killing our economy. The way for truckers to stand up to it though, is to not absorb any of the cost. Don't haul cheap freight just to keep the wheels turning, and don't haul freight without getting the full fuel surcharge. Any costs that the truckers don't absorb is getting passed right to the consumer. The stores aren't absorbing any of it. Groceries have gone up about 30% during the past few months, directly in relation to the fuel increases. They would be up more if so many trucks weren't hauling freight at cut-rate costs.

Fighting fuel costs is not a war that can be won on the CB Radio. You have a bunch of rich people, getting richer, buy forcing the cost of oil up. Let it all trickle straight down to the cost of the products in the stores, and you will see the entire Country putting a stop to it shortly.

I have refused A lot of junk loads and have for years, I also have a niche that few people are in ,at the moment that being said I have also seen a lot more people that are getting equipped and entering my niche as they find out about this this little known specialized market, and it is starting to effect how much they are willing to pay, it used to be a call from a broker and if I didn't think the price was fair I would tell them so and the next word out of their mouths was how much will you do it for? I never had a problem getting a fair price, got deadhead pay, layover pay, detention pay,ect. at the moment I am starting to get the answer you won't haul it for that then I will find someone who will and more and more they do!

For all of the people that say I am into something and get good rates, good for you just remember as it becomes know what that little safe niche is and people see it as a good deal it won't be long until that niche has an overabundance of people in it, some that will haul it for fuel money, smile now it won't last.

customers are playing us one against the other and the ones that are still paying good rates are going to start shopping soon or their cutthroat competition are going to run them out of business, until we all say enough and force the issue it will continue to deteriorate

i am so sick and tired of hearing about a strike. it's not gonna happen or at least one big enough to do any good and drivers don't have the money to do a real "strike". why don't drivers look at other options that would do some good. like running legal and refusing loads that can not be done legally. and stop allowing shippers/recievers to treat drivers like crap and acting like we have all day to hang around. do the same back to them. one thing i do is i don't wait well. if they try to tell me it is gonna be awhile or they cannot take it today for some odd reason then i just tell them thats fine , i'll just take it back to the shipper and they can pay for another delivery. when they see i am serious they seem to have a change of heart and recieve there stuff.

For all of the people that say I am into something and get good rates, good for you just remember as it becomes know what that little safe niche is and people see it as a good deal it won't be long until that niche has an overabundance of people in it, some that will haul it for fuel money, smile now it won't last.

And when it comes to that point, I will not haul the freight. As I mentioned in another post, I have my set rates that I will haul for, and not any lower. And I demand the surcharge on top of that.

I won't lease my truck to some mickey mouse company and make them money. I won't be pressured into hauling freight just to break even in hopes of getting to another location where freight might be paying better. They can stick that freight up their ass and/or let one of these mickey mouse companies haul it.

My company makes a profit, and I pay myself out of that profit. I am not paying myself the profit. If I can't pay myself, and still make a good profit on what I am doing, I am not going to do it, because it is just a matter of time before my business dies if I do that.

I dont have a truck payment, and I don't drive a wore out truck. When I buy a truck, I pay cash for it out of the profits my company makes.

I don't buy anything on credit, that is for my company. That is what my business account is for.

and stop allowing shippers/recievers to treat drivers like crap and acting like we have all day to hang around. do the same back to them. one thing i do is i don't wait well. if they try to tell me it is gonna be awhile or they cannot take it today for some odd reason then i just tell them thats fine , i'll just take it back to the shipper and they can pay for another delivery. when they see i am serious they seem to have a change of heart and recieve there stuff.

I did that this week to ConAgra. Went to their location to pick up a load. The load date and delivery date had been moved up one day, and the office failed to tell the warehouse.

I got there, for what was to be a drop and hook, and they hadn't even started making the product yet. But they decide they can work it in and possibly get me out of there in 4-5 hours if everything goes correctly.

My answer? That will prevent me from delivering the load on time. I told them I would see what the company wants to do, then told dispatch what was going on, and told them that if I am to wait, the load would not be delivered on time due to my "14 hour rule", and that I would not sit on the load. My offer was to wait on the load to get ready (while being paid detention time), to go as far as I could with it, and after a 10 hour break, take it into the receiver (and be paid detention time if I had to wait)

It was cheaper to simply pay me for a "truck ordered and not used", and give me another load.

I don't sit around waiting on freight at a shipper, and I don't sit around waiting to get it off my trailer at the receiver.

And when it comes to that point, I will not haul the freight. As I mentioned in another post, I have my set rates that I will haul for, and not any lower. And I demand the surcharge on top of that.

I won't lease my truck to some mickey mouse company and make them money. I won't be pressured into hauling freight just to break even in hopes of getting to another location where freight might be paying better. They can stick that freight up their ass and/or let one of these mickey mouse companies haul it.

My company makes a profit, and I pay myself out of that profit. I am not paying myself the profit. If I can't pay myself, and still make a good profit on what I am doing, I am not going to do it, because it is just a matter of time before my business dies if I do that.

I dont have a truck payment, and I don't drive a wore out truck. When I buy a truck, I pay cash for it out of the profits my company makes.

I don't buy anything on credit, that is for my company. That is what my business account is for.[/quote

I am not being sarcastic but that is exactly what is happening, reefer, heavy haul expedite, A and E,ect were ALL good paying, high dollar freight at one time and now ALL are seeing their rates go into the cellar as people that cannot make it in their particular specialty see these niches as the way to go, just one example the rates of most reefer runs are now paying just above van freight, my nephew just got out of it because the rates have hit the cellar and good runs are getting very scarce.

I am happy to see that your truck is paid for and that you have enough money to sit for long periods of time, most people in this business probably 95% are not well heeled enough to afford a hundred thousand dollar lawn ornament.

I did that this week to ConAgra. Went to their location to pick up a load. The load date and delivery date had been moved up one day, and the office failed to tell the warehouse.

I got there, for what was to be a drop and hook, and they hadn't even started making the product yet. But they decide they can work it in and possibly get me out of there in 4-5 hours if everything goes correctly.

My answer? That will prevent me from delivering the load on time. I told them I would see what the company wants to do, then told dispatch what was going on, and told them that if I am to wait, the load would not be delivered on time due to my "14 hour rule", and that I would not sit on the load. My offer was to wait on the load to get ready (while being paid detention time), to go as far as I could with it, and after a 10 hour break, take it into the receiver (and be paid detention time if I had to wait)

It was cheaper to simply pay me for a "truck ordered and not used", and give me another load.

I don't sit around waiting on freight at a shipper, and I don't sit around waiting to get it off my trailer at the receiver.

ConAgra and any water distributor seems to be the worse on this from what i have seen. i just cringe when i see i got either of these loads. Domino sugar wasn't much better. but thats a different story for a different time.

Domino sugar wasn't much better. but thats a different story for a different time.

Domino Sugar in New York City? The one right beside the Police Impound yard? You will never catch me near that place again, ever..... :)

Domino Sugar in New York City? The one right beside the Police Impound yard? You will never catch me near that place again, ever..... :)

a company i once worked for, my co-worker the guy just below me, went to both domino places, i never did........strange too, as i was never offered this pick-up. i don't think that i mind either.......

I sure have seen and heard a lot more about the 24 than I have the first but at least its down to just two dates usually its a dozen, sure hope one of them pans out

This is, by far, the most talked about shutdown I have seen. I have only seen a couple instances of other dates recently though, with most being settled on the 1st of April.

The one issue I have against a shutdown is my concern over not having enough people doing it.

Dlittle, I find it very interesting that you have contacts with over 1,000 trucking companies who are supporting the shutdown. Without giving the names of them, it would be interesting to know the size of these companies, and types of freight they haul. I found that statement to be very shocking.

If there is this, in fact, this much support for the shutdown (and by "support", I mean companies that are actually going to park their rigs and send their drivers home, not just say they support what others are doing), then a shutdown will be noticed.

sample of emails that support shutdown

This is, by far, the most talked about shutdown I have seen. I have only seen a couple instances of other dates recently though, with most being settled on the 1st of April.

The one issue I have against a shutdown is my concern over not having enough people doing it.

Dlittle, I find it very interesting that you have contacts with over 1,000 trucking companies who are supporting the shutdown. Without giving the names of them, it would be interesting to know the size of these companies, and types of freight they haul. I found that statement to be very shocking.

If there is this, in fact, this much support for the shutdown (and by "support", I mean companies that are actually going to park their rigs and send their drivers home, not just say they support what others are doing), then a shutdown will be noticed.
---------------------------------------------------------
Heres a sample of the emails I haven gotten, look at the tuck numbers involved in just these 3 or 4 emails
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]about the upcoming shutdown, I put a line between each one, & have removed their names for security reasons.
---------------------------------
I AHVE ALREADY PARKED MY CATTLE TRUCKS THIS $4. diesal wont work, let the government drive the cattle horseback to the feedlots or drive the trucks themselves. thanks randy XXXXXXX
Count me in! Carey XXXXXXXXXX
--------------------------------
yes please do keep me posted. i will pass the word along to all that i
know. thanks, CJ
------------------------------
Dan,
Hey we own around 25 trucks its time please tell everyone to go to my web
site sign the guest book we are working with everyone we can to get our
industry to stick together this time. Enough is Enough is the motto and we
need your help please feel free to add you link to my page.
http://www.myspace.com/cartracer24
Brian
Just wanted to let you guys know that we are in total support of the strike April 1st and we have spread the word and will continue to to as many guys and gals who will get smart and listen. All 12 of my trucks will participate and are quickly telling all the other guys they see. We have had our fill of this fuel and crap rates they want us to haul for..the gov. is leterally biting the hands that feed this country and they have gone too far this time. I hope you guys can get the word out to enough companies and get them to agree to shut em down before we all meet in line to collect our food stamps
Dagny XXXXXX
[/FONT]

up in the east coast we have waiting for some kind of date .
April 1st sound good.
Fuel is $4.19 to $4.24 going higher daily.
Will spread word.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread