truckers math

cosmo6486

what would be the stopping time and distance on a flat ,dry highway assuming the load itself is 40000 pounds and gross at 78000 going 20 mph ?? a state police asked me and i had no idea.anybody able to answer ? cosmo 6486:rolleyes:

what would be the stopping time and distance on a flat ,dry highway assuming the load itself is 40000 pounds and gross at 78000 going 20 mph ?? a state police asked me and i had no idea.anybody able to answer ? cosmo 6486:rolleyes:

About 150 feet

About 7 to 10 seconds

i was waiting for you too answer this. i couldn't remember, been way to long since i have gone thru schooling.

Let me guess, and I am trying to quote the police now.

"The answer, boy is about twice as far as you were following that truck in front of you. Don't you know tailgating is frowned upon around here?"

Let me guess, and I am trying to quote the police now.

"The answer, boy is about twice as far as you were following that truck in front of you. Don't you know tailgating is frowned upon around here?"
That sounds like a cop answer to me! I once knew a cop that would spend his entire shift sitting on the same route every at regular intervals and always ticketed at least four trucks every single time. I could never understand why the drivers wouldn't remember that he is there.

I try to leave 3-4 truck lengths. Sometimes someone will cut in the safety zone and you have to stop fast. The room doesn't seem like enough.

If a cop is asking you, chances are that there is no right answer! But if its not a cop I would say at least a couple hundred feet.

Going 55 MPH in dry weather is length of football field, so here is less than 1/2 football field.

It doesn't matter if you leave the right amount of room in front of you are not. Someone will swerve into the space and cut you off and then you are tailgating. If you close up to stop people from trying to cut in front of you, you are too close also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread