Trucker's fateful decision saves fellow driver's life

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
A truck driver who says he almost always stops at a restaurant in Newton, KS, says he decided to keep driving on June 26, a decision that ultimately saved another driver’s life.

Steven Huett, who drives for Illinois-based Tennant Truck Lines, told “Land Line Now” that he came across another one of the company’s trucks that day that was pulled off on the shoulder along Highway 50 near Peabody, KS.

It was a 105-degree day, and when Huett checked the cab of the other truck he found driver Jackie Kinley on the brink of a heart attack.

“I yelled at him on the radio and I didn’t get an answer, so I rolled up behind him and went up to the truck to check on him,” Huett said. “He kept wringing his hands, working his fingers like they hurt. I asked him, ‘Do your fingertips tingle, but the rest of your hand doesn’t?’”

Huett said Kinley answered yes, and added that he felt hot and couldn’t get cooled down.

“I told him I think you’re having a heart attack,” Huett said.

While Kinley told him he could head on down the road, that he was just going to rest in his truck for a while, Huett said he took out his cellphone while he was walking back to his truck and called 911. He also grabbed a couple of aspirins and a bottle of water.

full story

One time I pulled into a rest area in IL and just pulled off to the side. I was just stopping to check a Qualcomm message. We have to be at a dead stop to read them. It was lying face up on the floor in front of the shifter, & I was too lazy to pick the stupid thing up off the floor so I just bent down so I could reach the buttons.

Another truck went past me kind of slow and then the guy got on the CB & asked if I was alright. He thought I was having a heart attack because it looked like I was slumped over on the steering wheel. I told him thanks for asking though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread