Truckers face problems finding a place to park

Cybergal

Truckers face problems finding a place to park
4/17/09
GREENWICH -- A Byram man who has been lobbying for 10 years for a crackdown on truckers parking on the shoulders of Interstate 95, believes his efforts may at last be bearing fruit. From a window of his Ritch Avenue West Byram home, John Bowman can see the northbound on-ramp of exit 2 on I-95 and the truckers who would spend the night sleeping in their vehicles.
"Sometimes at night there would be 30-40 trucks and also early in the morning," he said.
But weeks after the state Department of Transportation placed 26 signs in about a 1.5 mile-long stretch of I-95 from the New York state line to just south of exit 3, he said there have been fewer trucks parked along that stretch.
Truckers face problems finding a place to park - The Connecticut Post Online

I wonder if Mr. Bowman truly understands the nature of just running trucks off, instead of addressing the true nature of the problem causing truckers to park in those areas? He apparently doesn't understand that every one of those trucks run off from that area is now being forced to violate HOS reg's and drive tired because the real issue of truck parking availability is not being addressed.

But hey...as long as he feels he's doing something good...who cares about truckers and the motoring public's safety. It's sure not the government or Mr. Bowman.

-ss-

Friggin' Yankees. The whole damned state thinks like that. Should do a 7 day boycott and watch them change their tune.

The disheartening fact of trying to find somewhere to park, has always been a problem. Ohio always woke me up and told me to to keep driving or be cited. I'd tell them that I was out of hours, and didn't want to get in trouble. Some troopers would basically warn me. some would actually show me where to go park. But that was many moons ago too. I think all states should set up more truck havens so we could park.

If Mr Bowman has truly had THAT many near misses, then something might just be wrong with HIS driving?

Just think if a tired trucker was to fall asleep (because he/she had nowhere to park) and struck a car carrying his "family". I'm sure he would have rather let the truck driver sleep in his own driveway. BUT people never think that way.

I do understand the "differences" of the normal public and truckers, but just because one vehicle is larger than another gives no right to judge/treat unfairly. If the driver of the "car" was to get sleepy, then he/she would definitely pull over and sleep if there were no places around to park, right?

If Mr Bowman has truly had THAT many near misses, then something might just be wrong with HIS driving?

Most likely, he is one of those jerks that rides on the bumper of the truck and looks for any half-ass opportunity he can to get around, even if that means passing on the right, or in the case of my only accident ever, on the freaking shoulder. We deal with people like this on a daily basis. Hope he spills his coffee in his lap at least once a week until he realized just how stupid his comments were.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread