Truck WON'T Start!!!

As-is, when i bought it it was perfect, i dropped the truck off at Dickinson fleet maintenance and they are going to have a look at it... right when the guy looked at it he said its not the fuel injector. so we will see will post will results. thanks for your guys help!

so they called today and they said the engine is warn-out, with 379000 miles on it they said i need to either replace it or rebuild it. so lets see what happens

Holy crap dude. That sucks. I had a really good funny smartass remark to use here but after reading your whoas, i'll keep it to myself. Sorry to hear that happened to you. Chalk it up as lessoned learned though. I bet next time you get a mechanic to check it out before you buy one again or anything at that matter. Hope it gets better for you.

well from what i know o would start with a comprestion test. sounds to me like you may have some worn rings. or maybe a bad head. if its puffing white smoke at start up only.

and if you have to start it on either all the time, you have a bad issue. like ss said look at the fuel pump allso. i like to call these type of engines either babies LOL

heres some but i dont know what it is you really want.

connecting rod bolts 115 ft lbs
Main bolts 115 fl lbs
and cylinder head bolts in 3 steps

1st step 110 ft lbs in the regular circular pattern from the center out
2nd step 155 ft lbs in same patern
3rd step 165 ft lbs in rows start on the intake side at the front of the engine and torque the bolts in rows

First, is the check engine light on while the truck is running? If not, does it come on with the key on? If the light is on, you need to find out what the code is. If no check engine light, at 300,000 rounds could be it needs a set of injectors, but first clean out the sediment bowl. Behind the fuel filter on the left side of the engine is a blue cylinder about 3 inches long. It hangs from a bracket and is made of plastic. Unthread it and clean the screen you find inside, and don't loose the O-ring. If it comes off hard, use a closed end 11/4 wrench. Don't crack it, but if you do you can get a new one. Nobody ever cleans these things out and it is the first thing a tech will check. Next check the check valve on the back of the head. If that leaks, the fuel will drain out of the head overnite and will cause the problem you are having. Look for the return fuel line where it comes off the back of the head. The thing it is bolted to is the check valve. when you take it off, don't loose the copper washers, and make sure you put it back together right. There is a ball valve in there with a spring to hold it in place. It must seal tightly to keep about 30 psi in the head at all times.

I got the truck overhauled for 7k parts labor and everything, at dickinson's fleet services.

That sounds about right.

So now take good care of it and you should be able to get at least 1,000,000 miles out of it.

When I saw where you posted that the engine only had 379,000 miles on it and it was worn out I thought that couldn't be right. These engines should provide at least a million miles as long as they are properly maintained.

The fleet of trucks I worked on at the electric utility were mostly International 4900 trucks with the DT466E engines, and the fleet manager would send them to the auction soon after they hit a million miles. And the way we cared for them they were still good running rigs then. Most of them had Allison automatics in them, but a few had 10 or 13 speeds.

Good mid sized trucks.

Last Fri the check eng lite comes on so I shut trk off to check everything tried to start it and nothing.So a trk guy comes out gives me a jump then once loaded I head to his shop.He puts a bolt in the alternator.Well last nite here at the truckstop about 2 am I get up to use the restroom and see the chk eng lite is on.I thought oh great here we go again.So anyway I went back to bed and get up with trk almost dead.I tried to idle it high hoping that would at least keep it running till I call Jason this morning.It's completely dead so what's it sound lke to you?????? If Jason thinks im going to drive this POS once I get a jump start he's got another thing coming.I'm not going to risk this thing dieing while i'm driving.So anyway again what's it sound like the problem could be??????????

sounds like the alternator is bad.
Bout time someone answers my post,LOL.Thing thing has had so many altermators in the last yr.The volt guage reads 13 for the most part.Guess i'll find out today sometime whenever Jason gets his happy ass out of bed.I texted him at 5 this morning.Whatever it is I will not leave here till this thing is FIXED.

check the alt. cables if thay are loose that will shut the truck down & no start.
It was the alternator and 3 borderline batteries.Those are getting replaced when I get to the shop and had the alternator replaced.So far so good,the guage is reading 13 instead of 11 and a half.Thank you much for answering my question.Dinner is on me,LOL.

glad to see you on your way. after the new batterys are in the gauge should show 13.5 -14.5 volts. forget dinner i dont eat just get me beer lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread