Truck stop alternatives?

L7J

I will be starting with an OTR operator as a paid student within a couple weeks. My first question is about alternatives to spending the night at a truck stop. A million years ago, I spent what seemed like an eternity overnight at a truck stop in Missouri, in a rental truck (we were moving somebody to the west coast and were too cheap to get a motel room). It was loud, bright, and those so-called lot lizards were knocking and yelling frequently. Not cool, not very restful, especially sleep sitting upright in a crappy cab.

Anyway, are there alternatives? Delivery customer lots, side streets, etc.? Forgive me for the stupid question.

Nothing sucks worse then waking up in the morning having to take a leak then getting out of bed, get dressed and walk 1/4 mile to the restroom in a downpour or zero weather! Screw that!

:welder:

:)

I was talking to a pal yesterday who always balked at the idea of an emergency toilet. As it happened, yesterday was the day of decision.

He had to pull into a maintenance yard by O'hare airport and bail out of the truck to keep from crapping himself.

We were laughing about the 'no dumping' signs but he assured me that it was anything butt humorous at the time.
:eek:

Needless to say that I was giving him...
crap
about it.
:D

I have a pee bottle and campers toilet. Nothing sucks worse then waking up in the morning having to take a leak then getting out of bed, get dressed and walk 1/4 mile to the restroom! Screw that!
Knock knock....Stateboard who there and what the hell you want now.... Mother nature... You best get moving to the restroom fast mother nature does not wait for slow pokes....Smile the devil in me made me do this.

I will be starting with an OTR operator as a paid student within a couple weeks. My first question is about alternatives to spending the night at a truck stop. A million years ago, I spent what seemed like an eternity overnight at a truck stop in Missouri, in a rental truck (we were moving somebody to the west coast and were too cheap to get a motel room). It was loud, bright, and those so-called lot lizards were knocking and yelling frequently. Not cool, not very restful, especially sleep sitting upright in a crappy cab.

Anyway, are there alternatives? Delivery customer lots, side streets, etc.? Forgive me for the stupid question.

Depends where you are Truck Stops near Big Cities tend to be shitholes and attract panhandlers and hookers.....

Now if Ya drive "OUT" and shutdown in more Rural Areas not so much a problem and the workers tend to be much more helpful perhaps that small town mindset

PARKING AVAILABILITY ..........this is another thing to consider .....

Many places are Tiny most Loves Or Pilots have about 30/50 parking spots and they FILL UP quickly if you ain't there by 4/5 oclock its hit or miss or Ya might find the Impossible Hole that the last 3/4 other guys couldn't hit ....even Large TAs and Flying J will FILL UP on heavily traveled routes ......."PLAN AHEAD" and especially if you are on ELOGS better know your options beforehand otherwise you'll be scrambling last minute

As for NOISE well Truckstops are Noisy by nature one thing that helps is buy Ya some decent Earplugs heck Ya might even be able to steal a few pairs at a factory if the got a dispenser......

Another thing is DONT park by the Fuel Island Trucks come into major chains 24/7 to fuel

I have a pee bottle and campers toilet. Nothing sucks worse then waking up in the morning having to take a leak then getting out of bed, get dressed and walk 1/4 mile to the restroom! Screw that!
I hate truck stops. Park near grass or gravel, stand on the top step and do your thing

Still sucks in the winter when it’s friggin’ cold but at least the truck is still warming your backside :D

Never did understand the truckers pee bottle thingy. Maybe for emergencies?

Depends where you are Truck Stops near Big Cities tend to be ****holes and attract panhandlers and hookers.....

Now if Ya drive "OUT" and shutdown in more Rural Areas not so much a problem and the workers tend to be much more helpful perhaps that small town mindset

PARKING AVAILABILITY ..........this is another thing to consider .....

Many places are Tiny most Loves Or Pilots have about 30/50 parking spots and they FILL UP quickly if you ain't there by 4/5 oclock its hit or miss or Ya might find the Impossible Hole that the last 3/4 other guys couldn't hit ....even Large TAs and Flying J will FILL UP on heavily traveled routes ......."PLAN AHEAD" and especially if you are on ELOGS better know your options beforehand otherwise you'll be scrambling last minute

As for NOISE well Truckstops are Noisy by nature one thing that helps is buy Ya some decent Earplugs heck Ya might even be able to steal a few pairs at a factory if the got a dispenser......

Another thing is DONT park by the Fuel Island Trucks come into major chains 24/7 to fuel
Testify!!

Testify!!

I hate truck stops. Park near grass or gravel, stand on the top step and do your thing

Still sucks in the winter when it’s friggin’ cold but at least the truck is still warming your backside :D

Never did understand the truckers pee bottle thingy. Maybe for emergencies?

Truckstops aint all bad...

Took some years but I "learned" ya Fuel at FlyJ / TA company Fuel Card...

My "shut-down" is those "No-Name" joints out in the "STICKS" with a $6/ $7 dollar "Daily Special" and the Coffee is TAR Black

Need 5/6 spoons of sugar and leave about apporrimately 1/3 an inch to dump milk over that so ya can actually "drink it"..

Forget Starbucks and $4 ...

Country joints still charge $1.50 or $175...

Free "Re-Fills" and throw the waitress $2/ $3 bucks shell fill your Thermos no X-tra chrage

Truckstops aint all bad...

Took some years but I "learned" ya Fuel at FlyJ / TA company Fuel Card...

My "shut-down" is those "No-Name" joints out in the "STICKS" with a $6/ $7 dollar "Daily Special" and the Coffee is TAR Black

Need 5/6 spoons of sugar and leave about apporrimately 1/3 an inch to dump milk over that so ya can actually "drink it"..

Forget Starbucks and $4 ...

Country joints still charge $1.50 or $175...

Free "Re-Fills" and throw the waitress $2/ $3 bucks shell fill your Thermos no X-tra chrage
Great advice!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread