Truck selection cut down, DPF & DEF advice to further narrow down

I had to sit in a parking lot for like 30-40 mins until the tractor was done doing it's thing :mad:o_O. and I was running an isx engine wich started to develop knocking nosies at 840 k miles. it was not a DEF truck. you would figure in todays world they would have the technology to do a regen while on the fly!! a Volvo for a local truck would def be a bad investment!!
My ISX's perform regular burns about every 400 miles while rolling. Many times that burn is interrupted by exiting freeways.

New habits must be formed .... simply turning the truck off when it's nestled between a Prime and Swift is no longer done.

Always attempt to force a regen when stopped for your 10 or 30 minute govt required nappy nap.

Too many missed opportunities to regen will send the truck to the shop sooner than later.

My ISX's perform regular burns about every 400 miles while rolling. Many times that burn is interrupted by exiting freeways.

New habits must be formed .... simply turning the truck off when it's nestled between a Prime and Swift is no longer done.

Always attempt to force a regen when stopped for your 10 or 30 minute govt required nappy nap.

Too many missed opportunities to regen will send the truck to the shop sooner than later.
If your trucks are trying to initiate regens every 400 miles, it may be time to have the DPF and DOC pulled and baked. Under normal highway use, the truck should be running a burn between 1,000 and 1,500 miles. At the very least, have the shop hook the computer to it and run a forced regen so you can have the exhaust pressures and burn temps checked.

A lot of good info here I wasn't familiar with since all we have is older equipment. Thanks guys.

Do these regens have a big impact on MPG? Im guessing it depends on the motor?

Honestly, I'm leaning towards a full service lease with all these potential issues (not of the recommendations you guys gave but just overall regarding the new emissions tech. Maybe a lease of 2011-2013 equipment.

DPF, not much of an impact on fuel economy unless something isn't working right.

SCR seems to have greatly improved fuel economy.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread