New To Trucking Tricks of the Trade

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Premium
This thread is where we can post little tip tricks that can prevent stupid mishaps or just make your life easier.

There is a ton of experience on this forum. We can offer it to our new members here.

(there might have been a similar thread somewhere, but I can't find it)

If you need to slide your 5th wheel, but it’s sticky, drop the trailer and get it unstuck

However, and here’s the pro tip, if you leave your 5th wheel unlocked, DO NOT try to back under said trailer and hook the pin. It will simply shove the 5th wheel head up to the end of the mounting plate. Then you have to hook a chain to it to pull it back. Then you have to lock it, hook to the trailer, unlock it and slide it where you want it

Posting for a friend :cautious:

Keep your fifth wheel well greased. A dry fifth wheel will cause your steer tires to wear faster, and can even be a factor in winter accidents.

A putty knife with a metal blade is a good thing to have. Use it to scrape that grease that builds up on the side of the fifth wheel, frame rails, etc and spread it on the plate. That will help keep the grease off of you too.

Get an empty plastic container with a good snap on lid, and fill it with grease from the tractor shop at the yard. That way you'll always have some fresh grease for your fifth wheel.

Thx, and tip 'o th' hat to Southern Pride, RIP.

:thumbsup:

I'm gonna second the fifth wheel greasing. (That was a bit a pet peeve of mine.)
Check the air in the tires daily. I gauged mine every morning and kicked or thumped every time I got out.
Look the truck over when you stop. It's not going to hurt anything.
DO NOT BE AFRAID TO GET OUT AND LOOK.
If it's not a hard surface get out and walk it if you have to.
If you're not comfortable DON'T DO IT!!!! Don't be afraid to say NO! KMA!

This one I'm not sure to pass on because it might get someone in trouble, but for flatbedders, if you have a tall load and your straps are flapping violently you can put a single twist in the strap on each side of the load and it'll stop that.

Always be on the look out for material that can be used for padding to prevent holes in the tarp.
Carry a tarp repair kit. :D

I'm gonna second the fifth wheel greasing. (That was a bit a pet peeve of mine.)
Check the air in the tires daily. I gauged mine every morning and kicked or thumped every time I got out.
Look the truck over when you stop. It's not going to hurt anything.
DO NOT BE AFRAID TO GET OUT AND LOOK.
If it's not a hard surface get out and walk it if you have to.
If you're not comfortable DON'T DO IT!!!! Don't be afraid to say NO! KMA!

This one I'm not sure to pass on because it might get someone in trouble, but for flatbedders, if you have a tall load and your straps are flapping violently you can put a single twist in the strap on each side of the load and it'll stop that.

Always be on the look out for material that can be used for padding to prevent holes in the tarp.
Carry a tarp repair kit. :D

Tell ya something else about a 5th wheel grease Ive learned over the years..

Those packets they sell and dont punture place on 5th wheel are JUNK..

Place 3 prior to a hooking and maybe 1 busts..

At most places Ive worked they wont let ya use theire grease gun either..

Heres a Tube of Grease or a bucket and some latex gloves to massage it in..

And them @$$holes think thats WOW..

Bring one back bone dry metal on metal and they wanna take it outta your paycheck..

Go Figure

If you're a company driver who has an assigned long-term truck, it could be worth buying your own higher quality wiper blades. Many use the cheapest they can get...especially megas. And they don't always clean that well even when new.

Harder to do/afford when you slipseat and might not see the truck again.

Keep a small window squeegee in your truck like you see at most car gas stations.

Couple swipes and you can get that rain buildup off your mirrors to dock easier, and you won't have smearing.

Better still, keep a spray bottle of washer fluid with you so you can properly clean and squeegee anywhere, no need to wait until you fuel.

Flathead screwdriver and zip ties can get your dangling mudflap secured. A nice fresh flathead can be used to drill a hole perfectly sized to run the zips through, and makes a clean hole that won't tear easily.

If you're a company driver who has an assigned long-term truck, it could be worth buying your own higher quality wiper blades. Many use the cheapest they can get...especially megas. And they don't always clean that well even when new.

Harder to do/afford when you slipseat and might not see the truck again.

In these situations I go all Glen Gary Glen Ross mode and sit down with my Safety Manager.. and "explain" thhy difference..

& it Aint just the mere cost of the better quality blades either...

Even on my own 4 wheelsrs one good pair of Bosch or Rainex will not only WIPE good...

For about the SAME PRICE one set "outlasts" 3/4 sets of those $5/ $6 bucks at the Gas Station "Pylon" junk..

Now that said @dchawk81 still got me a set of those $6 Pylons those "only" as SPARES

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep a small window squeegee in your truck like you see at most car gas stations.

Couple swipes and you can get that rain buildup off your mirrors to dock easier, and you won't have smearing.

Better still, keep a spray bottle of washer fluid with you so you can properly clean and squeegee anywhere, no need to wait until you fuel.

Tell ya another thing about them FUEL ISLAND "squegeess"..

That bucket is so DIRTY why ya wouldve been better off not even bothering at all..

How many times ya Fuel Up and your windows were WORSE than when ya pulled in the Truckstop..

Got an even "better" one 4 ya the "Insides"...

@dchawk81 forget Windex that crap is so full of suds n soap and ammonia base smells like pee-pee..

Rubing Alchohol preferably 91% though 70 shall do ...and Paper Towel..

Good paper towel too not that dusty Dollar Store crap

No Streaks either "guarenteed"

I have a 6 inch piece of 3/8 OD copper tubing I carry with 4 small clamps.I have that for when/if one of my air lines kink.The 3/8 tubing fits inside the air lines fine.

I cut the kink out and patch it with my copper tubing kit,Then I double clamp each end for a fast fix to get me to a truck stop safely.

I like to have several extra bungee cords.If I hook up to a trailer and the electrial cord/lights ain`t working too good,I can hook a bungee cord to the pigtail and to the front of the trailer somewhere and usually all the trailer lights work.

I like to have several extra bungee cords.If I hook up to a trailer and the electrial cord/lights ain`t working too good,I can hook a bungee cord to the pigtail and to the front of the trailer somewhere and usually all the trailer lights work.
I carry a spare, coiled, electrical cord. I can unhook both ends of the cord on the truck and trailer, and use it to get me home or at least to a place to park. It being coiled keeps it off the catwalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread