New To Trucking Tricks of the Trade

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Premium
This thread is where we can post little tip tricks that can prevent stupid mishaps or just make your life easier.

There is a ton of experience on this forum. We can offer it to our new members here.

(there might have been a similar thread somewhere, but I can't find it)

I would never use a fuel island squeegee on my glass. I carry my own and a gallon of soapy water.

The best thing I ever did was use RainX on the side windows and mirrors.

That thing be half full of "BUGS" ..

Ya glass gonna be "Nastier"...
Tell me about it.

Try not to take a whiff at that bug juice either.........P.U.

Bet if you ship that liquid to a lab of scientist they'd
probably discover a new drug or something from that concoction.

Some of those Islands by the end of the summer have not have
their washer fluid changed all summer. yuck

Tell me about it.

Try not to take a whiff at that bug juice either.........P.U.

Bet if you ship that liquid to a lab of scientist they'd
probably discover a new drug or something from that concoction.

Some of those Islands by the end of the summer have not have
their washer fluid changed all summer. yuck
Sure ya aint smellin **** all over the parkin lot?

Don't ever put that bug dissolving summer washer fluid in a vehicle and then forget to use it up before winter.

Back when I kept my Ranger in Iowa, I was coming home for a vacation and had to leave the big truck at the yard.

I got about halfway across Iowa with the Ranger and hit a snow storm. That's when I discovered my washer fluid tank was frozen solid.

I had to stop at gas stations like every 20 miles to use the squeegee because the salt was so bad I couldn't see through it.

When I got to Walcott I stopped at Iowa 80 and poured a bottle of air brake deicer on top of the ice in the washer fluid tank. Then I raided their dumpster for a piece of cardboard and blocked off the whole radiator with it. I figured if the coolant got too hot I'd stop and cut a little hole in it but I didn't end up needing to.

It took until Joliet before the washer tank was thawed out enough to use the washers.

Don't ever put that bug dissolving summer washer fluid in a vehicle and then forget to use it up before winter.

Back when I kept my Ranger in Iowa, I was coming home for a vacation and had to leave the big truck at the yard.

I got about halfway across Iowa with the Ranger and hit a snow storm. That's when I discovered my washer fluid tank was frozen solid.

I had to stop at gas stations like every 20 miles to use the squeegee because the salt was so bad I couldn't see through it.

When I got to Walcott I stopped at Iowa 80 and poured a bottle of air brake deicer on top of the ice in the washer fluid tank. Then I raided their dumpster for a piece of cardboard and blocked off the whole radiator with it. I figured if the coolant got too hot I'd stop and cut a little hole in it but I didn't end up needing to.

It took until Joliet before the washer tank was thawed out enough to use the washers.
If you ever run north of I-40, I'd say never use anything but -35 °F rated fluid. Even in the summer.

You can just add a bottle of rubbing alcohol to it. RV drinking water antifreeze is even cheaper if you wanna save a buck. Get it at wally world in the spring.

You can just add a bottle of rubbing alcohol to it. RV drinking water antifreeze is even cheaper if you wanna save a buck. Get it at wally world in the spring.
Yeah well it was a hot summer day when I filled up that Ranger's washer tank. It hasn't been a daily driver since like 2004.

I still remember putting that green bug stuff in there too.

The washers hadn't worked in years. I just got done replacing the pump, which is located inside the washer fluid tank. Freezing was the furthest thing from my mind and it didn't even occur to me that it would freeze anyway because I've never had the blue stuff freeze before. I don't know why in Illinois they'd even sell automotive fluids that can freeze. :dunno:

But in like 2009 or 10 or whenever that was that it froze up, I didn't even have valid plates or insurance on it. When I bought my F-150 I just kinda parked the Ranger behind the barn and forgot it until I decided to put a battery in it, fix the washers and wipers (They didn't work either) and run it out to Iowa so I always had my own ride home if I got fired for cussing out the boss. So I pretty much didn't drive it at all between filling it with that bug cutting washer fluid and when it froze. Just a 532 mile trip to northwest Iowa.

Last edited:

I put that chep crap once and my line froze up..

In the shop they'd swear 2 gosh it was Winter blend and ya we're supposed to get oil and bug juice at yard..

In the future used the Comdata to buy Purple at the Truck stop..

Winter blend my @$$

I put that chep crap once and my line froze up..

In the shop they'd swear 2 gosh it was Winter blend and ya we're supposed to get oil and bug juice at yard..

In the future used the Comdata to buy Purple at the Truck stop..

Winter blend my @$$
The blue stuff was still liquid at -24 last winter.

We had those 4 days when it was -20 to - 26° and I went out and removed the 8 year old battery from the van and brought it in the house to protect it from freezing. I slapped the side of the washer fluid tank and it splashed around a little bit.

I've had the blue stuff be unfazed in the tank and on the window in -40 but one tip. As you're coming out of a truck wash in winter do run the washers for a few seconds or you'll be up there dealing with that.

I've had the blue stuff be unfazed in the tank and on the window in -40 but one tip. As you're coming out of a truck wash in winter do run the washers for a few seconds or you'll be up there dealing with that.
Yeah. Water gets in the tips of the jets. Like not even a tenth of a drop, that's all it takes.

Just wave your propane torch back and forth across the jets for a second or two is all it takes. But you still have to jump off the steer tire and get in and hit the washer lever and flush it out before it re-freezes.

That's what is so shitty about blue stuff. You can get it from +32°F to -25°F rating. And unless you really pay attention, it's easy to grab the wrong jug. BTDT. Sucks majorly.

Daughter thought she did great and bought a case of cheap stuff for like $0.79 per gallon. It was on sale in October. It was all +32°F crap that was worthless until spring.

Yeah. Water gets in the tips of the jets. Like not even a tenth of a drop, that's all it takes.

Just wave your propane torch back and forth across the jets for a second or two is all it takes. But you still have to jump off the steer tire and get in and hit the washer lever and flush it out before it re-freezes.
Torch is a bit overkill but I guess if it looks silly and works it isn't silly.

That's what is so ****ty about blue stuff. You can get it from +32°F to -25°F rating. And unless you really pay attention, it's easy to grab the wrong jug. BTDT. Sucks majorly.

Daughter thought she did great and bought a case of cheap stuff for like $0.79 per gallon. It was on sale in October. It was all +32°F crap that was worthless until spring.
I don't think I see much of the worthless stuff this side of the border. Most is rated at least -35 or 40 anyway. Even crappy tire does that well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread