New To Trucking Tricks of the Trade

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Premium
This thread is where we can post little tip tricks that can prevent stupid mishaps or just make your life easier.

There is a ton of experience on this forum. We can offer it to our new members here.

(there might have been a similar thread somewhere, but I can't find it)

Its so easy to determine how far to slide the tandems to get within a few inches of your desired hole position by just looking at the ground as you move the truck, why would one bother carrying a bar around?

I can look down and watch a mark on the ground and get it right pretty much every time.

No bar needed.

It becomes more what one is used to and think they can or can’t do.

No. There's a bar you slide through BEHIND the hole you're trying to hit to stop you where you want to be. Unless some idiot lost it or ruined it trying to use it as a pry bar or some other unintended purpose. Almost every van or reefer trailer with sliding tandems I've ever seen has had one.
many trailers i pulled, the bar was welded into place..

so tell me, what then.???

take out the chaulk. that's what.

Buy a container of those Invisible Glass wipes, they work great. Most people probably already know this, but still occasionally run into a newbie, that hasn't yet learned to open the hood and stand on the tires to reach the windshield. In winter carry your grease gun in the cab, not outside unless you live in a warm climate, it doesn't pump at -20. If you are a curious person, by a small drone like a DJI mini, and when pulled over somewhere in a nice area out in the countryside, pull it out and fly it around for a while, great way to spend a rest break.

Last edited:
Buy a container of those Invisible Glass wipes, they work great. Most people probably already know this, but still occasionally run into a newbie, that hasn't yet learned to open the hood and stand on the tires to reach the windshield. In winter carry your grease gun in the cab, not outside unless you live in a warm climate, it doesn't pump at -20. If you are a curious person, by a small drown like a DJI mini, and when pulled oversome in a nice area out in the countryside, pull it out and fly it around for a while, great way to spend a rest break.
Invisible glass in the spray bottle is pretty good stuff too

many trailers i pulled, the bar was welded into place..

so tell me, what then.???

take out the chaulk. that's what.
There usually IS a permanent bar at the end of the slider to stop someone from sliding the trailer I past the tandems. But most reefer and van trailers I've pulled have had a removable one intended to be used to stop the trailer at the hole you wanted. But I wised up long ago and don't pull box trailers because I HATE grocery warehouses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread