Tricks Of The Trade

This is a good thread, I don't drive with gloves on. As for sunglasses, I have a pair of Oaks that are light and comfortable. My company requires steel toes so I went with a nice pair of Wolverines. I paid about 100 bucks for them but they are comfy and durable. And as for the seat, I can't stand running with the seat down. I have it half way, reclined as far as it will go and I don't put anything in my back pockets. I used to carry a wallet but found my neck starting to hurt because of it.

Howcome your company requires you wear steel toe????????????
This is a good thread, I don't drive with gloves on. As for sunglasses, I have a pair of Oaks that are light and comfortable. My company requires steel toes so I went with a nice pair of Wolverines. I paid about 100 bucks for them but they are comfy and durable. And as for the seat, I can't stand running with the seat down. I have it half way, reclined as far as it will go and I don't put anything in my back pockets. I used to carry a wallet but found my neck starting to hurt because of it.

One of the tricks I have learned is to treat others with respect and I will often be treated with respect back. In addition, to just be honest- things happen almost everyone understands that but when they are lied to or made promises that fall through that is where the anger comes from. Good Luck! Happy Trucking!

I guess you would not have suggested it, RacerX, if it were not possible, but are most companies pretty agreeable to stuff like this?

I can't speak for "most" companies, as I have only driven for one. I can say however, that commons sense would dictate what can and cannot be done. Simply asking for something is always a great place to start. You don't ask, you don't get.

I have heard that some companies expressly forbid inverters, driver installed or company installed. Most likely because the folks running the show have had a few burned down trucks and are gun shy.

I have also heard that some companies will set rigs up just about any way a driver asks them to, and some companies don't really care.

I am fortunate to drive for a company that takes good care of their drivers (we are just another asset), and they purchase the high end trucks. The rigs are well appointed, premium upholstery, stereo, air conditioning front and rear, condo sleepers with inverters, refrigerators, and APU's.

Small companies can have their advantages.

When I was looking for a job driving trucks the big companies wouldn't even return my call or respond to my application for employment. Their loss.

That I do not know, maybe because we are a LTL company or something. I run line-haul and as long as the miles and checks keep coming, I don't even think twice about it.

Many companies require safety shoes to help reduce on the job foot injuries. I am always amazed when I see some dope get out of a truck at a shipper or consignee with shorts, a tank top and flip flops on, and then proceed to secure or unsecure a load with chains and binders. One slip and that dimwit will be on the injured list. When handling freight and load securement devices such as chains and binders, or straps and the cinch bar it just makes good sense to wear work appropriate clothing and footwear.

It ain't a day at the beach.

Many companies require safety shoes to help reduce on the job foot injuries. I am always amazed when I see some dope get out of a truck at a shipper or consignee with shorts, a tank top and flip flops on, and then proceed to secure or unsecure a load with chains and binders. One slip and that dimwit will be on the injured list. When handling freight and load securement devices such as chains and binders, or straps and the cinch bar it just makes good sense to wear work appropriate clothing and footwear.

what no day at the beach! dang but you promised....

a lot of the stuff that we haul can tend to fall off and can be sharp and otherwise dangerous to be around.....also many of the manufacturing places require us to put safety first........

Oh really????????????I have never noticed but then again I drive van and I never deliver a place that requires certain attire.I know one time when I was with SMX I did pick up slabs of metal.That place required steel toes.Was neat watching how they make the slabs and carry it across the building using cables.

Crst requires slip resistant soles. They are not required while driving, only while out of the truck. But, who wants to change shoes every time they get out of the truck, lol.

What Racer said is the main reason why I would wear steel toes even if they weren't required. I saw a guy show up for a road test one time in sandals and they sent him home.... and no, he didn't get hired. It is like wearing gloves when you are hooking up your wagon or sliding your tandems. I see so many guys get their hands all chewed up, or greasy and its' like, why aren't you wearing gloves driver?

I hear that.It's just plain easier with gloves on.Nothing wring with steel toe,I just never knew companies require it till now.So do u have to wear steel toe while driving as well?????????????
What Racer said is the main reason why I would wear steel toes even if they weren't required. I saw a guy show up for a road test one time in sandals and they sent him home.... and no, he didn't get hired. It is like wearing gloves when you are hooking up your wagon or sliding your tandems. I see so many guys get their hands all chewed up, or greasy and its' like, why aren't you wearing gloves driver?

Steal stuff, sleept better!

I was going to save this for a blog, but nobody reads them anyway, so I'll give it up for free here.

Steal stuff:

Shippers and receivers are inundated with safety rules. Among them is hearing protection. As a result, they supply hearing protection - in the form of earplugs - in abundance.

TAKE SOME, THEY'RE FREE.

Okay so NOTHING is free.

If you get the soft type of earplugs, use them.

Before you go to sleep, put them in.

Try it.

You'll tune out a lot of noise you don't even realize your brain is listening to,and sleep a lot better! Motels are strange places and even the quiet ones are full of noises you're not used to sleeping with. Sooo...even if you're in a quiet motel, there's all kinds of noises that'll keep you up.

It works for me. And I been doing this a while...

The ear plugs come in handy when you go to the range to burn powder and relieve your frustrations as well. I could never get used to wearing the headgear when I shoot, knocks off my sense of equilibrium, or something like that. The soft plugs don't bother me at all though, even going through a whole box of high powered rifle rounds.

Oh yeah, I wear them in the truck when some noisy reefer hauler has the nerve to park next to me too. Or when some idiots air dryer is going off every 30 seconds.

The ear plugs come in handy when you go to the range to burn powder and relieve your frustrations as well. I could never get used to wearing the headgear when I shoot, knocks off my sense of equilibrium, or something like that. The soft plugs don't bother me at all though, even going through a whole box of high powered rifle rounds.

Oh yeah, I wear them in the truck when some noisy reefer hauler has the nerve to park next to me too. Or when some idiots air dryer is going off every 30 seconds.

I've got a Dixie Derringer that uses .22 magnums. I can shoot almost anything with no ill effects on my ears, but, that little thing will make 'em ring for days unless I put some wadding in the ear canal.

Chicken haulers are a noisy bunch. I try to park strategically, if I can, next to the quieter trucks. But, then they leave during my nap and along comes that dayum Thermo-King 50 with the straight pipe taking the spot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread