Training w/ no official schooling and some hurdles Im try'n to overcome.Your Thoughts

Raycubed

Hey all,

Been awhile since I've had time to post here. Since my last post I've had 4 trips out lasting anywhere from 14-20 days.

As I mentioned I've never gone to a driving school, I got my CDL learners permit and hit the road. I had "some" truck experience driving an old deuce and a half so most of the up shifting / Down shifting came pretty quick for me.

Highway driving / city traffic Heavy/light doesn't bother me all that much. Backing into a dock is also starting to come quite a bit easier also (there might be a couple pull-ups in there somewhere)

What Really gets me flustered and bothered is getting into the truck stop late at night and try'n to stick the hole around expensive truck A and expensive truck B.

My main question is, Should I even be bothering to try and learn how to back at that moment. It also doesn't help when I get the radio "chatter" suggesting what I should be doing. even if I turn the radio off I'll get people flashing their lights.

If I can....I let em pass.....If I can't they are more or less stuck until I'm done :/

I asked my trainer "should I really be doing this here?" he replied with "you'll be in this position sooner or later, might as well get used to it" at the same time I understand where the other drivers are coming from, It's late; they've been driving all day....lets park and sleep...

I could go on and on about how puckered I get when in this position of backing into a crowded truck stop.... Too much angle? Not enough? how close am I over there?....better go see...back up a few more feet.....Better go see..Etc etc. It makes me sweat I tell ya..... Oh look a pull through!!!!

Your thoughts would be appreciated. are their any techniques anyone can suggest that set me up at a better angle? (heavy Jack with a pull up?)

Thanks all

-Ray

Don't think about the trucks you are trying to back in beside, since it makes you nervous think of them as walls on ether side of the dock you are backing into, take your time and if you feel you need to get out and look do it. Don't worry about the guys that might have to wait a few mins. you are driving your truck not them. You have the right attitude so you will do fine. And remember I've been doing this almost 30 years some days ( most lol ) I can slide it right in, others I look like I need to go to a driving school. Instead of getting flustered I laugh at myself, pull up and stick it in.

And remember I've been doing this almost 30 years some days ( most lol ) I can slide it right in, others I look like I need to go to a driving school. Instead of getting flustered I laugh at myself, pull up and stick it in.

When that happens, it's not you. It's the trailer. They misbehave sometimes & won't go where they're told. :leer:

I carry a whip for when that happens. I can make a 53 foot reefer tremble in fear, ...

Six years in and I make no fewer than four backs into mostly tight docks every day. I pull up as many times as it takes and get my butt out of the driver seat to make sure my path is clear.

Supertruckers can fuss all they want. Their big ol' hurry is not my problem. The more they fuss, the longer it's going to take.

Try releasing the brakes... pushes lots easier.

LMFAO!!!!

No seriously, .. some guy just told me that not two hours ago!!

:rolllaugh:

Ok .... so I started in Wisconsin today & went across some snowy 2-lane crap, then had good roads til I got a ways west of Albert Lea. Coming down to the yard, it was snowing just enough my tractor was spraying my trailer axles with snow that hadn't been salted. They don't know what salt even is here..

I had to drop that trailer here at the yard cuz it don't deliver til Monday, and grab an empty & take it somewhere down by Omahahahahaha & swap it for something heavy, cold & bloody going to Kansas.

I did all of my braking off the highway, down the ramp using nothing but the trailer brakes, then I dragged the brakes gently the half mile to the terminal, then released them cuz the lot here is solid friggin' ice & that trailer ABS is annoying...

As I was backing the trailer into a spot, I was holding light pressure on the trailer brakes again just to keep them dry so the guy who delivers that stuff Monday won't have to get down in the snow with a brass hammer. Some guy was fueling his truck & saw me backing up with my brake lights on, and the rear of the trailer riding kind of high because of the geometry of the suspension. After I parked it, when I was un-hooking he walked up & said "ya know, them things are easier to back up if you release the brakes"

Ok .... so I started in Wisconsin today & went across some snowy 2-lane crap, then had good roads til I got a ways west of Albert Lea. Coming down to the yard, it was snowing just enough my tractor was spraying my trailer axles with snow that hadn't been salted. They don't know what salt even is here..

They do too...

The Minnesota Department of Transportation uses salt, often treated with a chemical, to melt road ice depending on the conditions and types of road. Salt may be coated with liquid magnesium chloride to increase salt adherence to the road. Salt may also be made into a brine to spread easier.

They do too...

The Minnesota Department of Transportation uses salt, often treated with a chemical, to melt road ice depending on the conditions and types of road. Salt may be coated with liquid magnesium chloride to increase salt adherence to the road. Salt may also be made into a brine to spread easier.

None of the plows were spreading anything today when I passed them. They were just running down the road making huge clouds of snow and lots of sparks.

They got lots of money for new carbide plow blades though.

Not really... the company that manufactures the cutting edges hired a lobbyist to hit up a few state republicans... Michele Bachman was one I believe...

Got a contract outta the state to supply "X" amount of blades per year whether needed or not...

Plow drivers are tryin to get rid of the excess cuz the state can't afford to rent more space to store them.

OK, so getting back to the theory of the video ......................................................................, what's your opinion of what this guy is saying? Is it a :grd: or is it :broken:

......hired a lobbyist to hit up a few state republicans... Michele Bachman was one I believe...

Mrs. Bachmann is a US Representative. She hasn't been a State Senator since 2007. I don't think any contracts survived for six years in any State guv'mint. The US House of Representatives has no authority to approve contracts between businesses and State guv'mints.

So it ain't Michelle Bachmann's fault. :neener:

Oh, and thank you for her. She has been one of the best contributions Minnesota has ever made to the benefit of the nation as a whole.

Mrs. Bachmann is a US Representative. She hasn't been a State Senator since 2007. I don't think any contracts survived for six years in any State guv'mint. The US House of Representatives has no authority to approve contracts between businesses and State guv'mints.

So it ain't Michelle Bachmann's fault. :neener:

Oh, and thank you for her. She has been one of the best contributions Minnesota has ever made to the benefit of the nation as a whole.

My post was more for the humor...

View attachment 19561

... You can have her.
View attachment 19561

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread