Trailer question, removing oil stain on floor of trailer???

bigtime

I hauled a load of used auto parts that I had no idea were leaking oil all over the floor of my trailer until I delivered, no wonder it paid so good! I was told it was used alternators, I don't know too many alternators that are oil cooled so there must have been some other stuff in there! Anyway, now I am left with some big oil stains. Any ideas on how to clean them? Should I treat it like a deck and just power wash it? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

sledgehammer

smashing the hammer down
i would try using a power washer like you said... then coat it with a clear coat or weather protection.... i hope it comes out!!!!:beep:

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
I hauled a load of used auto parts that I had no idea were leaking oil all over the floor of my trailer until I delivered, no wonder it paid so good! I was told it was used alternators, I don't know too many alternators that are oil cooled so there must have been some other stuff in there! Anyway, now I am left with some big oil stains. Any ideas on how to clean them? Should I treat it like a deck and just power wash it? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
i too would recommend power washing, but in with some or the oter cleaners, i would recommend Murphy's Oil Soap. its especially made for wooden surfaces. you can find this product at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc, even the local "big name supermarkets" in your area.

now, if there continues to be an odor of oil, which even after cleaning, it can still smell, i would recommend an old (very old) LTL trick, and that is, buy up to 3 pounds of coffee, any coffee, even the "instant" coffee..........

then using one pound, spread it all around the trailer where the floor meets the walls, in that it will be away from the main floor, and it should work its way into the cracks...........the smell of the coffee will in time, get rid of the oil smell..........you would rather have your customers smell coffee, than oil...

you might need to re-apply the coffee just before you go to a customer, then you can always say to the customer, damn, ever since that load of coffee got damaged by the fork lift guy, this trailer makes me want to stop at every coffeee shop from here to..........??

this is of course, if the customer says anything about the coffee smell, and i guarantee you this, that customer will never know the old LTL trick...........

sledgehammer

smashing the hammer down
i too would recommend power washing, but in with some or the oter cleaners, i would recommend Murphy's Oil Soap. its especially made for wooden surfaces. you can find this product at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc, even the local "big name supermarkets" in your area.

now, if there continues to be an odor of oil, which even after cleaning, it can still smell, i would recommend an old (very old) LTL trick, and that is, buy up to 3 pounds of coffee, any coffee, even the "instant" coffee..........

then using one pound, spread it all around the trailer where the floor meets the walls, in that it will be away from the main floor, and it should work its way into the cracks...........the smell of the coffee will in time, get rid of the oil smell..........you would rather have your customers smell coffee, than oil...

you might need to re-apply the coffee just before you go to a customer, then you can always say to the customer, damn, ever since that load of coffee got damaged by the fork lift guy, this trailer makes me want to stop at every coffeee shop from here to..........??

this is of course, if the customer says anything about the coffee smell, and i guarantee you this, that customer will never know the old LTL trick...........
that is an awesome trick.... just when i thought i heard it all.... i will have to remember that....

Blakowt13

One can also use a few "family size" boxes of Baking Soda.
Sprinkle it liberally and it too will be worked into the wood, and one can use Baby Powder however this will cause a bit of slickness that will eventually be eliminated.
I had a free covering of Baby Powder for my trailer when I went to a Customer that ships Foam as the Powder helps reduce or eliminate Static.
It as well made the trailer smell good for awhile.

WE hauled Carbon Dust a few times and this stuff is NEVER fully eliminated regardless of how many High pressure washings are performed.
It just has to wear off or into the wood and permanently discolors it.