Fuel Economy Tracking Fuel Economy - Fitzgerald Glider, 2015 T660, 13 speed, 3.42 rear axle ratio

Mike

Engine built by Fitzgerald, not a factory reman.

I started tracking the fuel economy in this truck when it was brand new, my goal at the time was to focus on fuel economy and get the truck up to 9mpg.

I managed to track it the first 40k, and had an average of 7.41. This was with no real efforts, as I knew the truck needed time to break in. At the 40k mark, I became sidetracked with all sorts of things, and put the fuel economy tracking on hold.

This month, with the truck at 230k miles, I decided it was time to start tracking this again, and seeing how well I can do before considering any further changes to the truck.

So, here we go. I use fuelgauges at letstruck.com to enter all my fuel receipts, and will post screenshots here for anyone who wants to follow along and does not have a fuelgauges account.

Truck name at fuelgauges: TFT660Glider

I begin with my first recent fuel purchase in July 29, 2017. Odometer 230, 651.

At this time, my most recent fuel purchase is today, odometer 233,706

Speed range that I am working in is between 57-63 mph.

IMG_2170.PNG

Screenshot shows my most recent fuel purchases, 90 day average, and CPM for fuel.

For this first screenshot, the fuel CPM is a little high because I have not yet adjusted my fuel costs to reflect my discount. Should be closer to 26 cents.

Truck is equipped with a Tripac APU. Between having a fridge, running electronics, and my pet peeve about having the cab comfortable at all times, the APU runs just about anytime I am stopped when I'm out on the road. I also leave the fridge on when at home, so APU runs periodically while i am at home to keep the batteries charged. Just adding this information, as it plays a factor in my over fuel economy numbers.

Need a load and trailer log as well.

Means nothing to me if you are pulling van loads at 50,000 gross when I'm pulling hay bales at 82,000 gross.

Means nothing to me if you are pulling van loads at 50,000 gross when I'm pulling hay bales at 82,000 gross.

I would have to charge for all that extra work, LOL.

Dry Van, anything and everything up to 80K.

Truck is equipped with a Tripac APU. Between having a fridge, running electronics, and my pet peeve about having the cab comfortable at all times, the APU runs just about anytime I am stopped when I'm out on the road. I also leave the fridge on when at home, so APU runs periodically while i am at home to keep the batteries charged. Just adding this information, as it plays a factor in my over fuel economy numbers.

Added this little bit in, as the use of the APU will factor into my fuel numbers. I believe in treating the truck just as I treat my house, so the Heat or A/C is always on when I am parked.

Do you guys pull out your APU fuel for a tax break?

I don't. Not sure how much it would help, as opposed to figuring in the work involved in figuring it. I have heard some people talk about doing it though.

I don't. Not sure how much it would help, as opposed to figuring in the work involved in figuring it. I have heard some people talk about doing it though.
They do here. 7000 trucks worth of APU fuel probably adds up though.

They do here. 7000 trucks worth of APU fuel probably adds up though.

I may look into it, and see what the numbers might be for one truck. That said, I don't have an easy way to track hours on my unit, would have to get another controller I think.

I may look into it, and see what the numbers might be for one truck. That said, I don't have an easy way to track hours on my unit, would have to get another controller I think.
We just have an hour meter wired in on the hot switch.

Oh I dunno...how detailed you wanna get?

You can progressive shift the crap out of 82000 on flat ground and probably have comparable results as Mike running 50k and the occasional hill.

Not a lot of hills between MN and ND.

When we were pulling the big beams for he Neenah Menasha 441 bridge we were grossed out at 253,000. The only way to get hen moving was to progressive shift. As soon as you got to speed you had to start slowing down for the next turn...so that is probably kinda like driving a locomotive, but anyway, at one point on flat ground on 151 between Madison and Fond Du Lac one guy was getting 7.5 on his instant gauge.

IMG_2172.PNG

Another fillip today, could have ran til tomorrow.

8.59 with this one.

I think I am going to invest in a fleet air filter the next time I replace the filter. Beyond that, planning on putting the vented mudflaps on the truck like I had on "radiant fire". Beyond that, no changes planned other than 4 new drive tires pretty soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread