Today is a good day - Gymnastics Scholarship

Mike

Part 1

Had to make a really tough decision a few weeks ago. We were analyzing our budget, including plans for a home purchase once depreciation is over with on my truck.

The tough decision was that we were going to pull our youngest daughter out of her gymnastics training. She has done this for a while, on a smaller level, when we lived down in south Arkansas. A year after moving up to Northwest Arkansas, we got her enrolled into a new gym. We toured the place and I became overwhelmed with the banners and trophies. Absolute best gym in the area.

It cost a little more than the old place we were at, but still wasn't too bad, so we signed her up. The teachers were top notch, and she immediately excelled. Not long into her weekly classes, the instructor came to us asking if we would be interested in entering her into the tryouts for "pre team". They basically do routines like the team gymnasts, but don't travel. They simply have local meets (against each other, not other gyms) so we can see their progress. We debated about it for a week or so, worried she might be too young. In the end, thanks to me being pushy about it, we decided to let her try out. We watched the tryouts, and when it was over, I told my wife that she made the team. It was going to be two weeks before they let us know, but I already knew. She literally blew the others away.

Two weeks later, we get the letter that she made it, along with the increased practice time and cost. No problem, we can afford it (I assured my wife). I tend to live in the moment and not think ahead, LOL. So, now, instead of an hour per week, she is now on a training schedule, year around. The new training schedule is 3 hours training sessions, two days per week.

Pretty cool, figure she will be doing this for a couple years, as she is only 7 years old. So, for the course of this past year, we have attended her in house meets, and once again, she literally blew the competition away. Inside, I am getting a bit nervous about how fast she is picking all this up.

Christmas comes, and Santa brought her mats and a beam to practice at home. Not a minute goes by that she isn't turning flips and scaring me to death, but on the outside I act like it isn't bothering me at all.

Couple months ago, they had tryouts for all the pre team members (pre team is levels 1 and 2). This was to see if any were ready for team competition. So, they have their tryouts. We could only watch through a window and they were trying out with the more advanced instructors. Once again, I walked out saying she did amazing and confident she made the team. We began to discuss money, not knowing how much it would cost at the team level.

A few days later, they announced the results. They not only said she made it to level 3 team, they said they think she will work with them for the summer, and likely move on to level 4.

Oh, and they gave us the information. Now, it's 3 4 hour training sessions per week (while in level 3). Not 1 leotard, but multiple ones for the different meets in multiple states, travel costs, meet fees, and the tuition just jumped way up again.

This was it, I was officially in so far over my head that there was no way out. I had piled everything I could possibly pile onto my shoulders and could no longer hold the weight. I've always been able to accomplish whatever was thrown in front of me. This time, I had no answer. After some long financial discussions, we decided that we simply couldn't do this.

I was heartbroken, literally in tears on multiple occasions. This hurt deep.

I broke the news to her, and she took it with a smile on her face in front of me. She acted like she was fine. She refuses to show any weakness with me, always the tough girl.

I went back out on the road, and she broke down and lost it with mom. Momma told me, and I lost it again. So disappointed in myself.

Part 2

We discussed getting her into a smaller gym, where she could keep training, even if at a much smaller level. Who knows, maybe things will change financially after a year or so, and she can pick back up where she left off.

yeah, I am basically grasping at straws at this point and trying to find a way to throw that load back up on my shoulders and make it work somehow.

She had her final pre team in house competition after all of this, and did excellent. Knowing she wasn't coming back, she still dominated. The top instructor and a couple others were doing the judging, and I seen them pointing at her and talking amongst themselves. Not sure what they were saying.

Anyhow, we had a small vacation to California planned. I took a load to Phoenix, they followed me in the car. From there, I parked the truck and we carried on to California. This allowed me to earn some nice money most of the way out there, and get back to work quicker as they continued to travel home after the trip.

Part 3 - I think God was teaching me a lesson

Ok, I've always been a beach bum at heart. I can handle the waves pretty good on the boards. never surfed, always enjoyed the body boards.

My oldest daughter took the board out, and I went out a short ways with her giving her pointers. At one point, I took the board and tried to ride some waves after explaining how to hold yourself and what to look for. She was doing pretty good on her own, but I wanted to let her maybe watch a couple and see what I was doing.

Next thing I know, I almost drown. No joke. Current pulled me out several feet from where I was, and just my luck, I was getting tired and about to turn the board back over to her. That's when I realized I did not have the energy to get myself back, didn't have the strength to swim, and couldn't stand to even get a breath because the waves were crashing over my head.

I went in 5 alarm panic mode. Told my daughter I was struggling. She laughed, and I told her I was serious. She gave me the board. I tried to get up on it, and couldn't. Tried to hand on to it to just rest a bit, and the waves would crash over my head and I would take in more water. I pushed the board back to her, hoping she would get back to shore because I was convinced i wasn't making it.

She was having none of that. She had the board in one arm, and grabbed my arm.

for a second, i just closed my eyes and prayed. She wasn't leaving, and I had to get back now.

At that moment, the water quit pulling me. I immediately swam a few short feet and was able to stand with the water just below my neck. A little help was all I needed. Caught my breath and worked my way back to shore. She never left my side, and that rip current stopped just long enough for me to get to a safe spot.

I feel like God was telling me that I cannot do everything on my own. It's been the one thing that I have always been too stubborn to overcome.

I walked on the beach for a while, quite humbled and thankful to be alive.

part 4

During my struggle with almost drowning, my wife had walked off the beach because the gymnastics people had tried to call her. They had played phone tag i guess the entire time I was flopping around in the water. Finally, they emailed her and asked if we could meet with them, as they had a proposal they wanted to offer to us. My wife agreed.

Well, they met today.

Wife called me a while ago, and they are offering my daughter a full scholarship. Training, leotards, the whole enchilada. Turns out, they have 4-5 scholarship positions, and one just opened up. The lady who owns the gym said that every instructor in the gym suggested that they offer that scholarship to my kid.

Needless to say, I lost it again, LOL.

As they had mentioned previously, they are putting her in Level 3, and planning on elevating her to Level 4 shortly as she picks up the competition routines.

That lesson God was trying to teach me? Stop trying to do it all myself and lean on others a bit, especially him.

Still taking this in, as I have never had something go my way like this. Ever.

congratulations on your daughters success and I am glad it worked out.
raising a gifted child is a great experience AND expense, my youngest was into cross country,football, softball, and the big one was band,
all this gets expensive, band being the most expensive of all.
just wait until your daughter qualifies for the Olympics and all the costs that will entail, LOL

she will but all the traveling you and your family will do is gonna hurt the pocketbook
:taunt: and there aint' any way you are not gonna go:scared:

Congrats man. Keep us updated. If you need a room over my way when traveling let me know. I have a camper we can set up over here.

Last edited:
images
"Mike you got yourself a gold metal in that pretty Little daughter." Congratulations!

OMGoodness Mike.... What a story.. I'm so glad your ok... I know how scary that is, I almost drowned as a kid..
CONGRAT'S to your daughter.... Wonderful story.. Always put your faith in God, with him all things are possible...

Next thing I know, I almost drown. No joke. Current pulled me out several feet from where I was, and just my luck, I was getting tired and about to turn the board back over to her. That's when I realized I did not have the energy to get myself back, didn't have the strength to swim, and couldn't stand to even get a breath because the waves were crashing over my head
That happens to me every single time I go into the ocean unless I stay close enough to shore where my feet still touch bottom. :mad:

Lake Michigan is not the Ocean, Just sayin':biglaugh:
I haven't been in Lake Michigan since I was probably ten years old.

Been in the Pacific @ San Diego and the Atlantic @ Virginia Beach though.

Several times each ocean.

Drowned several times each trip too. :mad:

I haven't been in Lake Michigan since I was probably ten years old.

Been in the Pacific @ San Diego and the Atlantic @ Virginia Beach though.

Several times each ocean.

Drowned several times each trip too. :mad:
You hang in there, I am sure you may drown if you keep going to the ocean.

Kidding of course. I damned near drowned when I was 4. Surprisingly It was a very calm experience. i was at the bottom of the pool and there was piano music for some reason and then images of my life. It did not take long I was 4. Then my aunt rescued me.

You hang in there, I am sure you may drown if you keep going to the ocean.

Kidding of course. I damned near drowned when I was 4. Surprisingly It was a very calm experience. i was at the bottom of the pool and there was piano music for some reason and then images of my life. It did not take long I was 4. Then my aunt rescued me.
Well as long as we're going to be making fun of each other for almost drowning, we might as well drag @Sinister into it because his three incidents in one day were funnier than ours. ;)

I'd post the video but he made me delete it off of YouTube like 3 years ago. :rolleyes:

Well as long as we're going to be making fun of each other for almost drowning, we might as well drag @Sinister into it because his three incidents in one day were funnier than ours. ;)

I'd post the video but he made me delete it off of YouTube like 3 years ago. :rolleyes:
Lost opportunities. What you should have said was, Hey while you are down there grab us some of them Catfish:D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread